Battle of the Thames in the US Capitol Building

  • Dave Westhouse
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      I sent this note on to a few individuals and was not aware of it
      myself until we saw it. Others were not aware of it either.

      During our trip to the GT and Fort McHenry we visited Washington D.C.
      and took a tour of the U.S. Capitol Building.

      In the rotunda there is a frieze (a painting below the windows of the
      dome) that depicts scenes from American history. One of the scenes is
      the death of Tecumseh at the Battle of the Thames.

      That part of the frieze can be seen by going to this link;
      http://www.aoc.gov/cc/art/rotunda/frieze/death.cfm

      More information on the painting can be found on the Capitol website here;
      http://www.aoc.gov/cc/art/rotunda/frieze/index.cfm

      Very interesting that the War of 1812 is listed there. We were totally
      unaware until just before we entered a guard struck up a conversation
      with Karen and somehow the conversation came to the War of 1812. He
      was the one who told us to look for it.

      Dave Westhouse,
      1st Royal Scots Battn.