Re: 1812 The 102nd Regiment in North America

  • John Potter
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 26, 2008
      Hi Tim,

      I know of William DeLancey. Tragic story. There's an 1850's property
      near Melbourne called Mont De Lancey which has a tenuous link to that
      family through the Sebire family, also of Guernsey. We regularly hold
      Napoleonic events there.

      This is their website: http://www.montdelancey.org.au/index.php

      Another venue we use is a homestead called "The Briars" which once
      belonged to the Balcome family who hosted Napoleon in another house
      of the same name on St Helena before he moved to Longwood. They still
      have gifts and furniture that Boney left them as well as his death
      mask and various other Napoleonic bits and pieces.

      Check it out at: http://www.napoleonguide.com/briars.htm

      Cheers,

      John

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 9/25/2008 7:35:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > potts4259@... writes:
      >
      > (There was
      > also would you believe an Australian born Royal Engineer officer
      at
      > Waterloo) Could've been a fun unit to recreate here if I was going
      > be staying longer..!

      > I would indeed beleve it John, and Wellington's Adjutant General,
      Sir
      > William Howe DeLancy was an American! One of the New York loyalists
      who's family
      > were forced to leave when the rebbles won.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Tim
      >

      > **************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life
      financial
      > challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and
      information, tips and
      > calculators. (http://www.walletpop.com/?
      NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

    • John Potter
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 26, 2008
        Hi Brian,

        Thanks for the info. Was this Independant Company the same mob as the
        Chasseurs Britannique, the former French POW's..?

        Thanks,

        John

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Brian Howard <chippokes@...> wrote:

        > John,
        > Yes, the 102nd did participate in a number of actions and raids
        here in the Chesapeake region.  The most notable of which is the
        engagement at Craney Island, June 22, 1813, where the 102nd,
        Independent Company of Foreigners, Royal Marines and Royal Navy
        forces participated.  This engagement was an American victory as the
        goals of Adm. Cochburn, taking the town of Portsmouth, destroying the
        Gosport Navy Yard, capturing the USF Constellation, and the city of
        Norfolk, were stopped at the Island.

        > Unfortunately for the town of Hampton on June 25, 1813, the before
        mentioned British units attacked the 500 or so militia outside
        Hampton and drove them from the field.  The War of 1812 Website has a
        great article on the crimes committed in Hampton by the Independent
        Company of Foreigners.  I do not know if the 102nd assisted in
        sacking the town but a few rogues may have taken the opportunity.

        > After Hampton, the Crown forces continued to make raids all around
        the Chesapeake region both upper and lower.

        > Not much information but I hope that helps.
        >
        > Brian Howard
        > 20th US Inf / Fort Norfolk Garrison

        US
        > after being sent home from Australia in disgrace. They suffered
        from
        > a poor reputation in NSW and were known as the Rum Corps from their
        > officers dubious (but lucrative) speculation in and complete
        control
        > of the rum trade and the economy generally. Many of their soldiers
        > were also poor quality having come from the Savoy (prison) and
        other
        > regiments who dumped them on this unfortunate unit. By the time
        they
        > came to the US however, many of the original members of the unit
        > would have left, so I don't know how well they acquitted themselves
        > here.
        >
        > I believe they took part in some raids along the Atlantic coast
        > (including the sack of Hampton, VA) which apparently they were
        > prevented from joining in, and were involved in the British capture
        > of Maine but was I wondering if anyone knows any more detail about
        > them or the actions they were involved in. In America I think they
        > were also known as the Botany Bay Rangers and were under the
        command
        > of LtCol Charles Napier if that helps anyone at all.
        >
        > This is a much neglected area of research in Australia but I
        > understand that it's just possible that the 102nd had the first
        > Australian born soldiers to serve overseas in it's ranks. (There
        was
        > also would you believe an Australian born Royal Engineer officer at
        > Waterloo) Could've been a fun unit to recreate here if I was going
        > be staying longer..!
        >
        > Cheers and thanks in advance,
        >
        > John

      • LCpl_rm
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 26, 2008
          John,

          The 102nd was raised in 1789 as the New South Wales Corps but I'm not clear whether they were raised in Great Britain and sent to Australia or raised there. As you wrote, they were a poor regiment being the dumping ground for the rest of the Army. In 1808, the officers mutinied against the Governour, Captain Bligh. (Yes, the same one!) The regiment returned to England in 1811and was stationed on Guernsey where they were brought into the army as the 102nd. LTC Charles Napier was given command in January 1812 and proved to be the disciplinarian that the unit needed.

          By July 1812 they were stationed in Bermuda. When troops were needed for the Chesapeake, originally the 103rd was chosen to go but instead the 103rd was funneled on to Canada and the 102nd was sent to the Chesapeake in June 1813. As Brian stated they, they were part of the attack on Craney Island on 22 June. They were then landed across Hampton Roads and participated in the attack on Hampton on 26 June. According to Napier, they almost mutinied because he kept them in ranks while the pillaging and assaults and all were accomplished by the Companies of Forigners.

          On 12 July they participated in the assault on Ocracoke Island down in North Carolina. They returned to the Chesapeake and spent some time ashore at Point Lookout in southern Maryland at the end of July. (Point Lookout is at the southern tip of Maryland about 25 miles south of Jeff-Patt.) On 6 August they were landed on Kent Island (other side of bay from Annapolis) where they stayed until 23 August participating in several raids on the eastern shore.

          The best I can figure, they left the Chesapeake and then went back to Bermuda until 1814.

          Cheers,
          Ed Seufert, Cpl
          1812 Royal Marines

[...]

          Waterloo) Could've been a fun unit to recreate here if I was going to

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 26, 2008
            According to Hickey, the "Independent Companies of Foreigners" were given the title of Chasseurs Britannique by Lossing in his Pictorial History of the War. Unfortunately Col Beckwith, whose command they were under in the Chesapeake, labeled them as the "Canadian Chasseurs" in his official report of the actions at Hampton. The "Canadian Chasseurs" was actually from lower Canada.

            Cheers,

            Ed Seufert, Cpl
            1812 Royal Marines
            Thanks for the info. Was this Independant Company the same mob as the
            Chasseurs Britannique, the former French POW's..?

            Thanks,

            John

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Brian Howard <chippokes@...> wrote:

            > John,
            > Yes, the 102nd did participate in a number of actions and raids
            here in the Chesapeake region. The most notable of which is the
            engagement at Craney Island, June 22, 1813, where the 102nd,
            Independent Company of Foreigners, Royal Marines and Royal Navy
            forces participated. This engagement was an American victory as the
            goals of Adm. Cochburn, taking the town of Portsmouth, destroying the
            Gosport Navy Yard, capturing the USF Constellation, and the city of
            Norfolk, were stopped at the Island.

            > Unfortunately for the town of Hampton on June 25, 1813, the before
            mentioned British units attacked the 500 or so militia outside
            Hampton and drove them from the field. The War of 1812 Website has a
            great article on the crimes committed in Hampton by the Independent
            Company of Foreigners. I do not know if the 102nd assisted in
            sacking the town but a few rogues may have taken the opportunity.

            > After Hampton, the Crown forces continued to make raids all around
            the Chesapeake region both upper and lower.

            > Not much information but I hope that helps.
            >
            > Brian Howard
            > 20th US Inf / Fort Norfolk Garrison

          • howard simcoe
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 27, 2008
              The New South Wales Corps (aka The Rum Corps) was formed in England in 1789 as (aka The Rum Corps) was formed in England in 1789 as permanent regiment to relieve the marines who had accompanied the First Fleet. The regiment, led by Major Francis Grose, consisted of three companies and due to the remoteness and unpopularity of the posting they were composed of officers on half pay, troublemakers, soldiers paroled from military prisons and those with few prospects gambling to make a life for themselves in the new colony. The regiment began arriving as guards on the Second Fleet in 1790. Major Grose arrived in Sydney in 1792 to take command and assume role of Lieutenant-Governor of the colony. A fourth company was raised from those marines wishing to remain in NSW under Captain George Johnston, who had been Governor Phillip�s aide-de-camp.

              Howard

              To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.comFrom: LCpl_RM@...: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:57:20 -0400Subject: Re: 1812 The 102nd Regiment in North America

              John,The 102nd was raised in 1789 as the New South Wales Corps but I'm not clear whether they were raised in Great Britain and sent to Australia or raised there. As you wrote, they were a poor regiment being the dumping ground for the rest of the Army. In 1808, the officers mutinied against the Governour, Captain Bligh. (Yes, the same one!) The regiment returned to England in 1811and was stationed on Guernsey where they were brought into the army as the 102nd. LTC Charles Napier was given command in January 1812 and proved to be the disciplinarian that the unit needed.By July 1812 they were stationed in Bermuda. When troops were needed for the Chesapeake, originally the 103rd was chosen to go but instead the 103rd was funneled on to Canada and the 102nd was sent to the Chesapeake in June 1813. As Brian stated they, they were part of the attack on Craney Island on 22 June. They were then landed across Hampton Roads and participated in the attack on Hampton on 26 June. According to Napier, they almost mutinied because he kept them in ranks while the pillaging and assaults and all were accomplished by the Companies of Forigners.On 12 July they participated in the assault on Ocracoke Island down in North Carolina. They returned to the Chesapeake and spent some time ashore at Point Lookout in southern Maryland at the end of July. (Point Lookout is at the southern tip of Maryland about 25 miles south of Jeff-Patt.) On 6 August they were landed on Kent Island (other side of bay from Annapolis) where they stayed until 23 August participating in several raids on the eastern shore.The best I can figure, they left the Chesapeake and then went back to Bermuda until 1814.Cheers,Ed Seufert, Cpl1812 Royal Marines----- Original Message ----- From: John Potter To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:35 PMSubject: 1812 The 102nd Regiment in North AmericaG'day all,Now that I am all fired up again after the fun of last weekend, I started re-reading my one book on the War of 1812 and was reminded of the 102nd Regiment (formerly the NSW Corps) which was sent to the US after being sent home from Australia in disgrace. They suffered from a poor reputation in NSW and were known as the Rum Corps from their officers dubious (but lucrative) speculation in and complete control of the rum trade and the economy generally. Many of their soldiers were also poor quality having come from the Savoy (prison) and other regiments who dumped them on this unfortunate unit. By the time they came to the US however, many of the original members of the unit would have left, so I don't know how well they acquitted themselves here. I believe they took part in some raids along the Atlantic coast (including the sack of Hampton, VA) which apparently they were prevented from joining in, and were involved in the British capture of Maine but was I wondering if anyone knows any more detail about them or the actions they were involved in. In America I think they were also known as the Botany Bay Rangers and were under the command of LtCol Charles Napier if that helps anyone at all.This is a much neglected area of research in Australia but I understand that it's just possible that the 102nd had the first Australian born soldiers to serve overseas in it's ranks. (There was also would you believe an Australian born Royal Engineer officer at Waterloo) Could've been a fun unit to recreate here if I was going to be staying longer..!Cheers and thanks in advance,John[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • John Potter
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 27, 2008
                Thanks Howard and all,

                That wouldn't be a quote from Wikipedia by chance would it..? ;-)

                I am pretty familiar with the NSW Corps part of the history but not
                so much after the left Australia and became the 102nd Regiment. I did
                just make the connection between LtCol Charles Napier of the 102nd
                and the former Major Charles Napier of the 50th Regiment at Corunna.
                Seems he went on to India after North America and finished up as a
                General. He even has a town named for him in New Zealand.

                Cheers,

                John

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, howard simcoe <howardsimcoe@...>
                wrote:

                > The New South Wales Corps (aka The Rum Corps) was formed in England
                in 1789 as (aka The Rum Corps) was formed in England in 1789 as
                permanent regiment to relieve the marines who had accompanied the
                First Fleet. The regiment, led by Major Francis Grose, consisted of
                three companies and due to the remoteness and unpopularity of the
                posting they were composed of officers on half pay, troublemakers,
                soldiers paroled from military prisons and those with few prospects
                gambling to make a life for themselves in the new colony. The
                regiment began arriving as guards on the Second Fleet in 1790. Major
                Grose arrived in Sydney in 1792 to take command and assume role of
                Lieutenant-Governor of the colony. A fourth company was raised from
                those marines wishing to remain in NSW under Captain George Johnston,
                who had been Governor Phillip's aide-de-camp.

                > Howard
                >
                > To: WarOf1812@...: LCpl_RM@...: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:57:20 -
                0400Subject: Re: 1812 The 102nd Regiment in North America

                --- From: John Potter To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday,
[...]
              • tedyeat
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 27, 2008
                  I have a Company of Military Historians uniform print of the 102nd
                  for sale for $5 postage. This has a close-up inset of the regimental
                  lace, too. Email me off-list if interested. Ted

                  --- From: John Potter To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday,

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 28, 2008
                    Hi all,

                    With regard to the 102 Regiment, the old New South Wales Corps, I got
                    this info from a mate of mine in Australia who is a professional
                    historian and curator in Sydney.

                    "University of Western Australia Prof Pam Statham's book 'The
                    Colonial Regiment' has a nominal roll of the regiment with some
                    biographical details and it indicates that there were dozens of men
                    serving with it whose birthplace is listed as Botany Bay.

                    Some years ago, Dr Chris Coulthard Clark wrote an article about the
                    members of the 102 Regiment who were present in the burning of
                    Washington in 1814 who had been born in the colony of New South
                    Wales . His research indicated that there were a significant number
                    of soldiers from the Flank Company who were born in the colony and
                    who served as incendiaries during the operation.

                    There were also some interesting 102 Regiment soldiers who returned
                    to New South Wales after the war against the Americans including
                    Lieut Edward Minchin, who, as an Ensign, had arrested Bligh on
                    Australia Day 1808. He is the officer who is standing in the doorway
                    in the cartoon of Bligh had been dragged from under the bed.

                    Minchin returned to the New South Wales and built a winery on his
                    property called Minchinbury. Now owned by Penfolds it gives its name
                    to a well known Australian champagne."

                    So it seems that not only were there Australian born British soldiers
                    here during the British American War/War of 1812 but they also took
                    part in the burning of Washington..! Facinating stuff.

                    Cheers for now,

                    John

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    in
                    > the British capture of Maine but was I wondering if anyone knows
                    any
                    > more detail about them or the actions they were involved in. In
                    > America I think they were also known as the Botany Bay Rangers and
                    > were under the command of LtCol Charles Napier if that helps anyone
                    > at all.This is a much neglected area of research in Australia but I
                    > understand that it's just possible that the 102nd had the first
                    > Australian born soldiers to serve overseas in it's ranks. (There
                    was
                    > also would you believe an Australian born Royal Engineer officer at
                    > Waterloo) Could've been a fun unit to recreate here if I was going
                    > be staying longer..!Cheers and thanks in advance,John[Non-text
                    > portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of

                  • tedyeat
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 28, 2008
                      Were they at Washington? I thought the 102nd was in another place at
                      the time, or were some actually in the force attached to another unit?
                      As I recall, the 4th, 44th, 21st and 85th, plus Royal Marines,
                      Colonial Marines[former black slaves], and Navy landing parties were
                      the only units in the campaign on the British side. The 102nd was, I
                      belive, the only ARMY unit involved, outside the other unit of French
                      POW's, in the Chesapeake in 1813.

                      YH&OS,
                      T. Yeatman

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Potter" <potts4259@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > any
                      > > more detail about them or the actions they were involved in. In
                      > > America I think they were also known as the Botany Bay Rangers
                      and
                      > > were under the command of LtCol Charles Napier if that helps
                      anyone
                      > > at all.This is a much neglected area of research in Australia but
                      > > understand that it's just possible that the 102nd had the first
                      > > Australian born soldiers to serve overseas in it's ranks. (There
                      > was
                      > > also would you believe an Australian born Royal Engineer officer
                      at
                      > > Waterloo) Could've been a fun unit to recreate here if I was
                      going
                      > > be staying longer..!Cheers and thanks in advance,John[Non-text
                      > > portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of

                    • John Potter
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 28, 2008
                        Thanks Ed,

                        Are you able to clarify their uniform for me..? I have a Penninsula
                        War book at home that shows them (if I recall correctly) in red coats
                        with light blue facings but the 1812 website article shows them in a
                        Rifles style uniform...??

                        Thanks,

                        John

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:

                        > According to Hickey, the "Independent Companies of Foreigners" were
                        given the title of Chasseurs Britannique by Lossing in his Pictorial
                        History of the War. Unfortunately Col Beckwith, whose command they
                        were under in the Chesapeake, labeled them as the "Canadian
                        Chasseurs" in his official report of the actions at Hampton.
                        The "Canadian Chasseurs" was actually from lower Canada.

                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                        > 1812 Royal Marines

                      • LCpl_rm
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 28, 2008
                          John,

                          According to Hamilton-Smith's print, the Independent Company of Foreigners (ICF) wore uniforms similiar to the 95th: green jackets with black facings but with white trim and grey trousers. Interestingly he also shows a Chasseurs Britanniques uniform of red with light blue facing. But de Roll and de Meuron also show similiar uniforms so I'll have to figure who the Chasseurs really were. The Chasseurs are listed with a Colonel in chief whereas the ICF are not.

                          Per the 102nd being involved in the burning of the White Houose, unless men were singularly enlisted in another regiment, that would be a negative. After the battle of Bladensburg, Ross advanced into the District to receive its surrender with his 3rd Brigade which was made up of the 21st and the 2nd Batt Royal Marines. The other two brigades (4th, 44th and 85th) were totally involved at the battle and stayed behind to rest up and care for their wounded. Eventually they would join Ross on the eastern side of the city.

                          Several sources state that Ross left the majority of the brigade on the outskirts and entered the city proper with about 200 men and his staff along with Admiral Cockburn. Who burned the White House? No 3 Co of the 21st claims title. But Harry Smith says in his autobiography that "our sailors were artists at the work" igniting everything flammable. Anthony Pitch in his book, "The Burning of Washington", refers to Midshipman Samuel Davies as leading the sailors thru the mansion. Pack's "The Man who Burned the White House" says Lt Pratt of the Navy led the party. And Whitehorne in "The Battle for Baltimore" notes that the Royal Sappers and Miners under the command of Capt Blanchard, RE, was responsible. So take your pick but it wasn't the 102nd.

                          The 102nd was still in Bermuda as of 11 March 1814 based on a letter from Admiral Cochrane. J Mackay Hitsman in "The Incredible War of 1812" mentions that the 102nd was brought from Bermuda and landed at Moose Island in Passamaquoddy Bay occupying Eastport Maine on 11 July 1814. Henry Adams' "The War of 1812" says the same thing. It looks like the 102nd spent the latter half of 1814 and early1815 occupying eastern Maine.

                          Cheers,

                          Ed Seufert, Cpl
                          1812 Royal Marines
                          Are you able to clarify their uniform for me..? I have a Penninsula
                          War book at home that shows them (if I recall correctly) in red coats
                          with light blue facings but the 1812 website article shows them in a
                          Rifles style uniform...??

                          Thanks,

                          John

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:

                          > According to Hickey, the "Independent Companies of Foreigners" were
                          given the title of Chasseurs Britannique by Lossing in his Pictorial
                          History of the War. Unfortunately Col Beckwith, whose command they
                          were under in the Chesapeake, labeled them as the "Canadian
                          Chasseurs" in his official report of the actions at Hampton.
                          The "Canadian Chasseurs" was actually from lower Canada.

                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                          > 1812 Royal Marines

                        • LCpl_rm
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                            The Chasseurs Britanniques were definitely a separate unit from the Independent Company of Foreigners. Here's some info I found on the Napoleon_series website:

                            The following is from: Émigré & Foreign Troops in British Service (1) 1803 - 15 Osprey Men-at-Arms #328 by Rene Chartrand and Patrice Courcelle Page 10
                            "Formed from May 1801 from remnants of Condé's Army following Peace of Luneville -- conlcuded February 1801 between France and most European powers, but not Britain -- under Col. John Ramsay, former Inspector General of Foreign Corps. Regiment to serve only in Europe and the Mediterranean, forming light infantry battalion of six companies mustering about 600 men. Besides French émigrés many Germans, Poles and Seiss enlisted, but officers remained French. Embarked from Trieste, arriving Malta in early June, Egypt in August 1801 as reinforcements at ALexandria. Saw little action; back on Malta by December 1801, remaining until 1803."

                            "Uniform: Green coatee with black or yellow collar, black half-lapels pointed cuffs, shoulder straps and turnbacks, pewter buttons; grey long breeches, black half-gaiters; cylindrical shako, white metal bugle horn badge, black cockade, green plume; black accoutremts; some apparently armed with German Rifles."

                            The following is from: Émigré & Foreign Troops in British Service (2) 1803 - 15 Osprey Men-at-Arms #335 by Rene Chartrand and Patrice Courcelle Pages 14 - 15

                            "The regiment was brought to England in 1803 to incorporate other emigres on the Isle of Wight, and then sent on to Malta. In 1804 its seven-company establishment was raised to the usual ten including two flank companies. From November 1805 the corps was in Naples, until transferred to Sicily in January 1806. In June and July it campaigned in Calabria but was not at the battle of Maida. However, three companies were part of the British force that captured Regio on 9 July; incorporating over 300 French prisoners, the unit was back in Sicily by September. It sailed in March 1807 with the British expedition to Egypt, which proved disastrous: the Chasseurs suffered some 300 casualties covering the retreat on 31 March. The unit remained in Alexandria until September, incorporating some of the officers and men from Froberg's corps. It then went to Sicily and absorbed other groups of foreigners. The corps participated in the raid on the island of Ischia and Scilla on 24 and 30 June 1809."

                            "In November 1810 the unit had some 1,740 men in 12 companies when sent to Cadiz, Spain, where two companies were left until 1813 serving with the Foreign Recruits Battalion. The corps went on to Lisbon in January 1811 and joined Wellington's army in March. It saw much action in the Peninsula, starting at Fuentes d'Onoro (4-5 May 1811) where Wellington noted its bravery. Other actions were the first attempt on Badajos (7-10 June), Ciudad Rodrigo (19 January 1812), Larena (19 March), siege of Salamanca (21-28 June), Retiro (16 August), Olmos (20 October), Vittoria (21 June 1813), Pvrenees (30 July), Bidassoa (31 August), Nivelle (10 November), Nive (9 December) and Orthez (27 February 1814) - the last major battle. Napoleon's popularity was now eroding fast, and when the Chasseurs Britanniques arrived at Bordeaux escorting the Duke of Angouleme on 12 March 1814 the city had turned Royalist."

                            "By then there were few emigres left in the regiment except for officers, the rank and file being filled with 'professional deserters' from all over Europe. Desertion had become rampant in the corps, some 224 men taking leave in 1813; it was not allowed to post pickets for fear they would desert. However, in battle they proved steady, often suffering heavy casualties. Following Napoleon's abdication the British troops started to evacuate France and the Chasseurs Britanniques left Bordeaux in July for England. A detachment served as marines on board HMS Ramillies off the American coast during the summer. The regiment was disbanded at Lymington on 5 October 1814."

                            From Philip Haythornthwaite's Uniforms of the Peninsular War: 1807 - 1814 Page 110

                            "One of the 'foreign corps' of the British army, the Chasseurs Britanniques was formed in 1801 from French emigres, by 181 1 including many exprisoners of war and deserters, Italians, Poles and Swiss. Officers were mainly French royalists who hated the Bonaparte regime and those efforts alone made the Chasseurs into a reasonable fighting unit, commended by Wellington for steadiness at Fuentes de Ofioro (but when forming ladder-parties at the storm of Baclajos threw their burdens away and fled)! Their desertion record was severe, arriving in the Peninsula in 1811 they lost 139 men in that year, 171 in 1812 and 224 in 1813, including a platoon of two corporals and 16 men deserting en masse in October 1812, all Italians save for one Swiss and one Croat. As many of the rank and file had only enlisted in the hopes of deserting back to the French, they were never allowed on outpost duty. They wore infantry uniform with light blue facings, lace silver for officers and white with light blue and red stripes for others. One portrait shows an officer with a red collar; that illustrated wears light company distinctions,
                            bugle-horn badgeson turnbacks and wings, and flank company sabre; battalion company officers wore the usual epaulettes and bicorn. Discrepancies of uniform probably existed within the unit, for Wellington enquired of the commanding officer in February 1811, regarding recruits arrived from Gibraltar, 'in what mode' he intended 'to clothe and equip them' for service'. The Chasseurs Britanniques should not be confused with the wretched companies of 'Independent Foreigners' who committed every conceivable outrage in the descent on Chesapeake Bay."

                            They also had a book written about them called Wellington's Mongrel Regiment: A History of the Chasseurs Britanniques Regiment of the British Army 1801-1814 by Alistair Nichols in 2005.

                            Cheers,

                            Ed Seufert, Cpl
                            1812 Royal Marines

                            Are you able to clarify their uniform for me..? I have a Penninsula
                            War book at home that shows them (if I recall correctly) in red coats
                            with light blue facings but the 1812 website article shows them in a
                            Rifles style uniform...??

                            Thanks,

                            John

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:

                            > According to Hickey, the "Independent Companies of Foreigners" were
                            given the title of Chasseurs Britannique by Lossing in his Pictorial
                            History of the War. Unfortunately Col Beckwith, whose command they
                            were under in the Chesapeake, labeled them as the "Canadian
                            Chasseurs" in his official report of the actions at Hampton.
                            The "Canadian Chasseurs" was actually from lower Canada.

                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                            > 1812 Royal Marines

                          • John Potter
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 30, 2008
                              Thanks Ed,

                              I thought they must be given the different accounts of the uniforms.

                              I'll have to try to find out more about the 102nd and where they were
                              during the burning of Washington.