Re: 1812 Re: CFNA representation

  • John-Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
      Hi Dave!  (why does your computer think it's October?)
      I'm sure this was an unintentional oversight by the CFNA staff.  Unless things have changed radically in the last couple of years, I don't think there are many events where the Bulger's Newfs attended an event *as* Newfs that they, themselves, didn't organize.  It might be a matter of "out of sight - out of mind"
      My profuse apologies if I'm wrong or speaking out of turn but with the SM often tasked at events, if it wasn't for the Adopt-a-Newf program of the 89th and Skinner's Company RNR, I would have been an "Army of One".

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
        David et al:

        How would anyone pick out a Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Bulger's
        Company soldier if he was dressed as a private with the Glens?

        Did the Glens sent a rep to the meeting?
        I would imagine if so, your man would have known of the meeting.

        Did all Crown Forces Commanders not receive a copy of the minutes of
        the Crown Forces Unit Meeting at Ft. Erie, August 9, 2008? If so, why
        is this meeting being questioned four weeks after the fact?

        I sent a copy of the Crown Forces Unit Meeting Minutes to all Crown
        Officers listed at http://1812crownforces.tripod.com on Sergeant
        Major Monahan's behalf.

        I must agree with Mr. Johnson - the only Royal Newfoundland Regiment
        soldier I see at events is Sergeant Major Monahan. Some show up as
        Glens others as US Marines. I did see a few Royal Newfoundland
        Regiment soldiers at Fort Henry (I think).

        Yrs.,
        L2

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
          wrong Company, that was Skinner's (Stoney Creek) not Bulger's (HMEUC)

          KW

          >From: "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...>

          I did see a few Royal Newfoundland Regiment soldiers at Fort Henry (I
          think).

          >Yrs.,
          > L2

        • John-Paul Johnson
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
            To deflect a little of the shrapnel from Mr Lozon, I was the one who first raised the point - not him.
            Being that I don't currently parade with anyone, I know what my opinion is worth here but the question begs...
            If "A" Regiment only appears portraying "A" Regiment at their own local events but every other event attends as part of "B" Regiment, can it really be said that U"A" Regiment attends CFNA events?
            I know that other groups portray multiple units but a group that primarily portrays, say, an American unit shouldn't necessarily expect get a seat at the Crown Forces table if they portray a British/Canadian unit once in a blue moon.
            <puts on the highly anachronistic Kevlar helmet and body armour>
              From: DAVID BRUNELLE <davidbrunelle@...>

            ------------------------------------

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
              Thank you Kevin for pointing out the company

              Altho my statement was:

              "I must agree with Mr. Johnson - the only Royal Newfoundland Regiment
              soldier I see at events is Sergeant Major Monahan. Some show up as
              Glens others as US Marines. I did see a few Royal Newfoundland
              Regiment soldiers at Fort Henry (I think)."

              I did not name a Company only the Regiment.

              I remember when there were three (3) Royal Newfoundland Regiment
              Units. One in Essex County (Windsor/Detroit area), one at Stoney
              Creek Battlefield (Hamilton area), and one in Penetanquishine (Site
              of Battle of Georgian Bay).

              The one in Essex disintegrated and the last time I talked to them
              they were doing F&I, the unit at Stoney Creek was the one I alluded
              to as showing up at events as US Marines.

              If the RNR in Penetanquishine shows up as Glens then they come under
              the Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles which is under the command of
              Dave McMeekin or whoever he appoints.
              (as per http://1812crownforces.tripod.com)
              I believe the last time I saw Mr. Brunelle at an event he was wearing
              a Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles Regiment Uniform.

              Now to answer David Brunelle's question, "I'm curious, what official
              regiment do you belong to Larry?"

              I am serving as Aide De Camp to Mr. Twist. Crown Forces Staff is a
              unit and we register as a unit under General Tim Pickles. It is not a
              Regiment but an Official Crown Forces Unit.

              I am covered by 41st Regiment Insurance. Altho not presently marching
              with the Regiment, a 41st'er still and damned proud of it!

              I also have a position in the 7th United States Infantry and I am
              very honored to be a Cottonbaler by God.

              Since my duties as Aide De Camp to Mr. Twist come first I have put my
              1st Regt. Kent Militia on hold and have sent interested parties to
              the 41st Regiment. The 1st Kent Regt had a cannon crew and musketmen.

              Thank you Mr. Johnson for your post and deflecting a little of the
              shrapnel from me . Mr. Brunelle and I go a long way back.

              But I believe I have made my point.

              That is:

              ... if you show up as a Glen then you ARE a Glen, and if you show up
              as a Royal Newf you ARE recognized as a Royal Newfoundland Regiment
              soldier.

              Since James Yaworsky has brought up another subject I shall quit this
              topic on this Yahoo Group.

              Yrs.,

              L2

              --- "Kevin Windsor" wrote:

              wrong Company, that was Skinner's (Stoney Creek) not Bulger's (HMEUC)
            • DAVID BRUNELLE
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
                WOW !!

                If I have this right, Larry Lozon is now the official spokes person for the Crown Forces and makes decisions on his own without consulting anyone else. So, from a Crown Forces point of view it does not matter if you are an official representative of a unit or present at an event. If you are wearing the wrong uniform the hell with you! Why bother being part of the Crown Forces if they are going to discriminate or exclude you on the basis of what clothes your wearing. Thanks Larry that really clears things up!

                WOW again!

                David Brunelle

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "DAVID BRUNELLE" <davidbrunelle@...>
                  wrote:

                  > WOW !!
                  >
                  > If I have this right, Larry Lozon is now the official spokes person
                  for the Crown Forces and makes decisions on his own without consulting
                  anyone else.

                  Dave, I think you're reading way too much in to things here. As ADC,
                  Larry does have an "official" role in communicating to Crown Forces
                  units, and we see "official" e-mails he's been ordered to send on this
                  list fairly frequently. But it's a bit of a jump to say that because
                  he might be an official spokes person that he's making decisions on
                  his own without consulting anybody.

                  I wasn't at Fort Erie and have no personal knowledge of how the
                  meeting that seems to be the point of contention was assembled. It
                  sounds like it was perhaps done in a very informal way and
                  unfortunately a unit got accidentally missed. Perhaps a definite
                  procedure could be set up to avoid a similar situation in the future.

                  I just have to ask: was the meeting announced to the paraded British
                  force beforehand? If so, then failure to pay attention on the part of
                  anybody at that parade is their own fault. If not, then this might be
                  a good idea in the future.

                  Also, while people might know who the official rep of any particular
                  group might be, it seems to me it is expecting a bit much to have
                  anybody but a person who is specifically designated to do so run
                  around the entire camp hunting out reps and delivering a personal
                  invitation. Surely there is some onus on "official reps" to keep
                  themselves informed, as well as on the Staff to get the message out.

                  In other words, communication is a two-way street.

                  In short, this was an unfortunate situation, which appears to have had
                  no real damaging consequences, other than the exchanges on this list
                  which are drifting towards "flame war" land.

                  Please keep any further messages in this thread constructive.

                  No more bitching about what did or didn't happen at Fort Erie, please.

                  Constructive suggestions that involve parties on all sides of the
                  equation taking reasonable steps to ensure that nobody misses a future
                  meeting are fine.

                  Jim Yaworsky
                  Moderator
                • Kevin Windsor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
                    Jim you are quite right here. If I recall the conversation it was something
                    like.

                    Friday

                    You know while most of the units are hear we should probably sit down and
                    think of crown forces events for next year while it is still early.

                    Saturday

                    Shit we should really get the units together while we still have time.
                    Serjeant Major could you tell the company commanders?

                    There was no malice, no intentional leaving out, no machinations, or
                    anything of the sort. There was such an outcry last year because we picked
                    the CF events so late that it was decided to start as early as possible. If
                    was informal, we met, we discussed, we came to a consensus.

                    'nuff said

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
                      List,

                      I had or have no intentions of starting a flame. Was just looking for some clarification on statements made after my original post. I will discuss this with Mr. Lozon over a few bottles of good wine at the next event we shall both be in attendance at.

                      My apologies!

                      David Brunelle

                      > If I have this right, Larry Lozon is now the official spokes person
                      for the Crown Forces and makes decisions on his own without consulting
                      anyone else.

                      Dave, I think you're reading way too much in to things here. As ADC,
                      Larry does have an "official" role in communicating to Crown Forces
                      units, and we see "official" e-mails he's been ordered to send on this
                      list fairly frequently. But it's a bit of a jump to say that because
                      he might be an official spokes person that he's making decisions on
                      his own without consulting anybody.

                      I wasn't at Fort Erie and have no personal knowledge of how the
                      meeting that seems to be the point of contention was assembled. It
                      sounds like it was perhaps done in a very informal way and
                      unfortunately a unit got accidentally missed. Perhaps a definite
                      procedure could be set up to avoid a similar situation in the future.

                      I just have to ask: was the meeting announced to the paraded British
                      force beforehand? If so, then failure to pay attention on the part of
                      anybody at that parade is their own fault. If not, then this might be
                      a good idea in the future.

                      Also, while people might know who the official rep of any particular
                      group might be, it seems to me it is expecting a bit much to have
                      anybody but a person who is specifically designated to do so run
                      around the entire camp hunting out reps and delivering a personal
                      invitation. Surely there is some onus on "official reps" to keep
                      themselves informed, as well as on the Staff to get the message out.

                      In other words, communication is a two-way street.

                      In short, this was an unfortunate situation, which appears to have had
                      no real damaging consequences, other than the exchanges on this list
                      which are drifting towards "flame war" land.

                      Please keep any further messages in this thread constructive.

                      No more bitching about what did or didn't happen at Fort Erie, please.

                      Constructive suggestions that involve parties on all sides of the
                      equation taking reasonable steps to ensure that nobody misses a future
                      meeting are fine.

                      Jim Yaworsky
                      Moderator

                    • Tom Hurlbut
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 4, 2008
                        Further to this incident to support the idea that the RNR being missed was merely an oversight, I WAS informed of the meeting even though I was functioning as a senior US Infantry officer at Fort Erie. (Some of you may know that I am a member of Crown Forces as the CO of the Royal Navy's Upper Lakes and Lake Simcoe Station, my RN uniform and hat left at home for the event.) This tells me that there was quite an effort made to inform everyone concerned and I certainly appreciate the Sergeant-Major's notification of the meeting. (He risked capture and interrogation having walked unescorted into the US camp!)

                        I hope we can now make reference to, and discuss what was decided at the meeting (likely on the Crown Forces list), maybe schedule another meeting, and get away from the unfortunate oversight.

                        Yours, Aye!

                        "Lt./Major" Tom
                        RN and US 25th

                      • Rick Peterson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 4, 2008
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

                          > The one in Essex disintegrated and the last time I talked to them
                          > they were doing F&I, the unit at Stoney Creek was the one I alluded
                          > to as showing up at events as US Marines.

                          Larry,
                          Perhaps you should check attendance records before you label the House
                          Guard as "showing up at events as US Marines".
                          So far this year alone, we have attended Stoney Creek, Crysler's Farm,
                          Ft. Niagara and Ft. Henry as the RNR. We are also to be represented at
                          this month's Grand Tactical.
                          Attendance at 5 major events this year should be nothing to scoff at.
                          I'm sure our participation at events rivals that of many other British
                          groups, despite our small numbers.

                          Rick Peterson, RNR
                        • HAROLD DENNISON
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 4, 2008
                            Got some distance to go to catch us Mr Peterson.   :)
                            But it is nice to see the RNR represented at so many events this year. Good job!

                            Hal

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 4, 2008