Re: CFNA representation (was Fairfield)

  • Dale Kidd
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
      Allow me to add a brief notation to this discussion:

      At Ft. Erie, a messenger was sent around to the various Crown units
      requesting that one officer or other representative of each unit
      attend Gen. Twist's tent to discuss the all-up events for next year.
      After a brief discussion with Midshipman Whyte (ranking Povincial
      Marine officer present at the event), I attended that meeting myself
      on behalf of our unit. I can testify that the entire proceedings were
      carried out in a wholly democratic manner. I was not even required to
      take an oath of secrecy, or participate in any macabre initiation
      ritual prior to my participation! The minutes of that meeting were
      posted on this list some time ago, for all to see, and were
      completely accurate to the best of my memory.

      I do note that the B.I.D. was not represented at the meeting. Given
      that I had been speaking with Roy only minutes prior, I was somewhat
      surprised by this. I am unsure whether this was a result of the
      somewhat rushed announcement of the meeting (I had only 20 minutes to
      prepare and get there) resulting in some units being missed. However,
      I would respectfuly submit that this is one area in which we might
      improve in future... more notice, and a check-off list of units
      notified so that noone is left out.

      To the best of my knowledge, the only way any event could be
      accurately described as "unsanctioned" by the CFNA would be if that
      event was condemned, on the record, at a meeting of CFNA member unit
      representatives for something as serious as safety concerns. The CFNA
      does not otherwise approve or disapprove any event, with the
      exception of endorsing the three annual all-up events. As already
      mentioned, individual units may decide that their insurance will or
      will not cover their members at certain events. They may
      thus "sanction" events for their own membership.

      Without prejudice,

      Dale Kidd
      (tucking the crow feather back into his hatband...)
    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
        "Dale Kidd" <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:

        Allow me to add a brief notation to this discussion:

        At Ft. Erie, a messenger was sent around to the various Crown units
        requesting that one officer or other representative of each unit
        attend Gen. Twist's tent to discuss the all-up events for next
        year... I do note that the B.I.D. was not represented at the
        meeting... I am unsure whether this was a result of the somewhat
        rushed announcement of the meeting... resulting in some units being
        missed. However, I would respectfuly submit that this is one area in
        which we might improve in future... more notice, and a check-off list
        of units notified so that noone is left out.

        Mr Kidd et al

        As the "messenger" responsible for informing units about the meeting,
        I'm the guy who has to carry the can for missing some units. In my
        own defence I can only say that I had little more notice myself and
        fall back on the sentiments of one of my favourite philosophers:

        "It is unnecessary to attribute to malice what can be
        explained by stupidity." (Nicoli Macchievelli)

        I'll try to better next time!

        P. Monahan, Sgt. Major

        PS Mr Kidd, sir. If you didn't do the initiation then you
        probably don't know the secret handshake either, do you?
      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
          wrote:
          Sgt. Major:

          I ascribe no blame in the matter upon you, sir. I recall well your
          very valiant efforts to assemble a reasonable group of
          representatives to attend the meeting on short notice. To say you
          looked a bit harried in the attempt would be somewhat understating
          the matter, but I must commend you for managing to pull together as
          many of us as you did. My suggestion was intended more directly for
          our superiors, in order to prevent your ever having to duplicate the
          feat.

          With greatest respect,

          Dale Kidd

          PS: I was told I have a few conditions yet to fulfill prior to
          initiation... Sshhhhhh!