Fwd: Fairfield

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
      phone...

      I would like to clarify something, and also put down useless and
      baseless rumors that have been started regarding the existence of
      supposed "SANCTIONED" events.

      There is no such animal. There is no hidden agenda of "sanctioned
      events" . Each unit holds its own insurance policy and therefore
      designates its own events list. The Crown Forces has no jurisdiction
      in those decisions. Which events each of the units do are entirely up
      to the units themselves.

      Also, I'd like to point out that there seems to be a perception that
      the Crown Forces is the Staff. The staff serve only at the pleasure
      of the existing members units that comprise the loose affiliation of
      British 1812 units existing under the convenient title "Crown
      Forces", and that the whole of the Crown Forces make policy-- not the
      "Big hats".

      May I suggest that when someone hears of something like this that has
      an obvious taint of "intrigue" or "conspiracy", you first look at the
      messenger and then contact your unit commander and ask them for
      clarification. Or, if any reenactor has heard something that concerns
      them, they can contact any one of either myself, Peter Twist, Peter
      Monahan or Doug Decroix. Better yet ask everyone in the open forum of
      the Yahoo group where a large amount of the community has a chance to
      hear it and comment on it . Rumors almost never survive exposure to
      light.

      There ARE Crown Forces events that all are made aware of, but this
      is not the same thing as what is being insinuated by some individual/
      s . These folks are putting out the idea that somewhere someone is
      generating a separate list of events that are to be attended or
      avoided outside of the designated events that everyone is aware of.

      The "all-units" discussions are open to the command structure of all
      individual units that make up the Crown Forces who-- under the
      guidance of the whole of the member units-- designate three events a
      season as all-up efforts. The thinking here is to get maximum turn
      out to those events to: 1) encourage a larger turnout of US troops
      2 ) to accustom sites to dealing with large numbers as the
      bicentennial approaches and 3) to help focus the group effort
      overall. One of these three is always the Grand Tactical, the
      location of which changes every year, and the other two are usually
      regularly scheduled events. That doesn't mean that we don't attend
      any other events other than those designated as the Crowns Forces
      events for that season: it just means that we are trying to create a
      few slightly larger events that year for the enjoyment of all.

      There is nothing hidden about this. People go to the events that
      interest them and that are designated by their units. I know I go to
      some that others don't care for. I know that there are some that
      Peter Twist does that I don't, and vise-versa. There are some events
      that are done by one unit that aren't done by the next, and some that
      we all do. Nothing sinister about this at all.

      As to the event at Fairfield; there is the problem of an unfortunate
      date choice here. This was, after all, the Labour Day weekend. Lots
      of people have family commitments or other plans for this weekend,
      and it is typically not a strong runner for an event. I myself have
      another commitment annually on this weekend that precludes my
      participation.

      Hope that this clarifies the situation,

      Craig Williams

    • Dave Westhouse
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
        Mr. Williams,

        Nicely said.

        If I may add...The website that I put up through the Royal Scots
        Grenadiers site envelope on War of 1812 events;

        http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist/

        is posted as a courtesy for all to refer to for 1812 events that
        anyone and everybody can attend. Those which are designated the Crown
        Forces All up events are highlighted to bring attention to them.
        Events are posted as they are made known to me and any event can be
        listed. There are of course many other sites which list events which
        are equally as good and in some cases better but this site is a basic
        list provided purely for reference.

        The calendar of events listed on the Royal Scots Grenadiers site;

        http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/1812events.html

        differs in that it lists those events that our unit or at least 1
        member of our unit will be in attendance.

        One may notice that Fairfield was not listed on the first site and
        only because I was not asked to list it, and had heard that the site
        was by invitation only. If someone would like it added for 2009 it
        will by all means be added. This is the first year since 2002 I had
        not attended. It's a nice relaxing site and it is a great time of year
        for it there.

        On the War of 1812 Events list is also a fine print piece that reads;

        'The intent of Crown Forces events is not to go to just CF "all-up"
        events but to encourage re-enactors to make these specific events a
        priority for the present season so that both Crown and US forces can
        put together larger events. If a choice must be made at some point
        during the season between two events the idea is to try to come down
        on the side of the CF event. It is no way intended that
        re-enactors/units shouldn't go to the other events.'

        I agree with Mr. Williams and the Crown Forces idea that
        groups/re-enactors should make every possible attempt to attend a CF
        event. The greater time given in notice the better and already we know
        2 of those for 2009;
        Fort Meigs and Crysler's Farm.

        As an aside I have noticed on some unit websites the mention of
        sanctioned and non-sanctioned events. Simply I think it means that if
        a member chooses to go to a non-sanctioned event it only means the
        unit has not specified it for their unit to attend in mass numbers.
        Others list events by 'strongly, highly or mandatory attendance, or in
        bold for absolute, italics for possible then normal for it is there
        and attend as you wish. Or something of the like.

        Our site all ups are listed within our member's area and include the
        CF events plus a few others.

        Dave Westhouse

      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
          Allow me to add a brief notation to this discussion:

          At Ft. Erie, a messenger was sent around to the various Crown units
          requesting that one officer or other representative of each unit
          attend Gen. Twist's tent to discuss the all-up events for next year.
          After a brief discussion with Midshipman Whyte (ranking Povincial
          Marine officer present at the event), I attended that meeting myself
          on behalf of our unit. I can testify that the entire proceedings were
          carried out in a wholly democratic manner. I was not even required to
          take an oath of secrecy, or participate in any macabre initiation
          ritual prior to my participation! The minutes of that meeting were
          posted on this list some time ago, for all to see, and were
          completely accurate to the best of my memory.

          I do note that the B.I.D. was not represented at the meeting. Given
          that I had been speaking with Roy only minutes prior, I was somewhat
          surprised by this. I am unsure whether this was a result of the
          somewhat rushed announcement of the meeting (I had only 20 minutes to
          prepare and get there) resulting in some units being missed. However,
          I would respectfuly submit that this is one area in which we might
          improve in future... more notice, and a check-off list of units
          notified so that noone is left out.

          To the best of my knowledge, the only way any event could be
          accurately described as "unsanctioned" by the CFNA would be if that
          event was condemned, on the record, at a meeting of CFNA member unit
          representatives for something as serious as safety concerns. The CFNA
          does not otherwise approve or disapprove any event, with the
          exception of endorsing the three annual all-up events. As already
          mentioned, individual units may decide that their insurance will or
          will not cover their members at certain events. They may
          thus "sanction" events for their own membership.

          Without prejudice,

          Dale Kidd
          (tucking the crow feather back into his hatband...)
        • peter monahan
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
            "Dale Kidd" <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:

            Allow me to add a brief notation to this discussion:

            At Ft. Erie, a messenger was sent around to the various Crown units
            requesting that one officer or other representative of each unit
            attend Gen. Twist's tent to discuss the all-up events for next
            year... I do note that the B.I.D. was not represented at the
            meeting... I am unsure whether this was a result of the somewhat
            rushed announcement of the meeting... resulting in some units being
            missed. However, I would respectfuly submit that this is one area in
            which we might improve in future... more notice, and a check-off list
            of units notified so that noone is left out.

            Mr Kidd et al

            As the "messenger" responsible for informing units about the meeting,
            I'm the guy who has to carry the can for missing some units. In my
            own defence I can only say that I had little more notice myself and
            fall back on the sentiments of one of my favourite philosophers:

            "It is unnecessary to attribute to malice what can be
            explained by stupidity." (Nicoli Macchievelli)

            I'll try to better next time!

            P. Monahan, Sgt. Major

            PS Mr Kidd, sir. If you didn't do the initiation then you
            probably don't know the secret handshake either, do you?
          • Dale Kidd
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
              wrote:
              Sgt. Major:

              I ascribe no blame in the matter upon you, sir. I recall well your
              very valiant efforts to assemble a reasonable group of
              representatives to attend the meeting on short notice. To say you
              looked a bit harried in the attempt would be somewhat understating
              the matter, but I must commend you for managing to pull together as
              many of us as you did. My suggestion was intended more directly for
              our superiors, in order to prevent your ever having to duplicate the
              feat.

              With greatest respect,

              Dale Kidd

              PS: I was told I have a few conditions yet to fulfill prior to
              initiation... Sshhhhhh!