Hello to all

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2008
      Just to add to our wonderful History.
      Since 1991 I have been with the British Indian department a wonderful
      unit. It has come to a time when I feel that the 5th Lincoln militia
      should be brought back to this hobbie. This is the first unit that I
      started with at the age of 8 and has for the past 14 years has not
      been portrayed in the hobbie. As of this weekend coming at Backus
      mills 2008 the 5th Lincoln militia will become part of our hobbie. I
      will be commanding the unit with a wonderful bunch of guys behind me.
      I do have some stuff from when I was with the unit, but If anyone has
      any information I could use to help portray this unit as well as we
      can it would be greatly appreciated. Commands, drills, etc..

      God save the king

      Signed, Captain Wilkinson of the 5th Lincoln Militia
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2008
      • John Harris
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 2008
          "It has come to a time when I feel that the 5th Lincoln militia
          should be brought back to this hobbie. This is the first unit that I
          started with at the age of 8 and has for the past 14 years has not
          been portrayed in the hobbie. As of this weekend coming at Backus
          mills 2008 the 5th Lincoln militia will become part of our hobbie. >
          God save the king
          Signed, Captain Wilkinson of the 5th Lincoln Militia"

          Congradulations on forming a new unit. A have a few question's for
          you:
          1-Which company will you be portraying?
          2-Will you working with the already established 5th Lincoln Militia
          Under/with Calvin Arnt? ( My apologies if I've mis-spelled)
          3-Will you be properly uniformed as Upper Canada Embodied Militia
          (I.E.- green coats with red facings)?
          It's always good to have more uniformed troops in this hobby and I
          wish you the best of luck in this endevor!
          Regards
          John Harris
          Brigade Major
          US Northern Brigade
        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 1, 2008
            Mr. Arnt is with the 1st Lincoln Militia

            KW

            _____

            From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
            Of John Harris

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2008
              I stand corrected !!! Thank you Kevin !
              Regards
              John
              PS- Y'all look the same to us !!
              8^)

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
              <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

              > Mr. Arnt is with the 1st Lincoln Militia
              >

              > KW
              >

              > _____
              >
              > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
              On Behalf

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 1, 2008
                As far as I know after I dusted off my old paper work.
                It's the 5th Lincoln Militia 2nd Company.
                This will make now in are hobbie
                1st Lincoln Militia
                4th Lincoln Militia
                5th LIncoln Militia
                I do beleave it's Red Coats Green faceing's
                This is what we wear in the 80's
                If any one knows Kevin O'Hallarin could you please pass on my Email
                Address so I can get some info on the 5th Lincoln Militia since he was
                one of are Former members that was in charge of the unit.
                fithlincolnmilitia@...
                Thanks
                Captain Wilkinson
                5th Lincoln Militia
              • Dave Westhouse
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 2008
                  Chris,

                  Obviously the other units portraying other Lincoln Militia units would
                  be of great help. Other than that, read the drill manual and attend
                  the Officer/NCO school in April. Someone to run you through it all
                  would help too.

                  Why the change?

                  Dave Westhouse,
                  1st Royal Scots Battn.

                  ...but If anyone hasany information I could use to help portray this
                  unit as well as we can it would be greatly appreciated. Commands,
                  drills, etc..

                  God save the king

                  Signed, Captain Wilkinson of the 5th Lincoln Militia
                • ronpontiac
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 1, 2008
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <littlefeatherscrafts@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I do have some stuff from when I was with the unit, but If anyone
                    has
                    > any information I could use to help portray this unit as well as we
                    > can it would be greatly appreciated.

                    Hi Chris,

                    Assuming that you will be portraying one of the flank companies,
                    probably the best bet for uniform would be to pick a period and go
                    with that:

                    June 1812----Civilian clothing
                    August 1812--Old, beat up faded 41st Regiment coattees for those
                    portraying men who went to Detroit with Brock--others in Civilian
                    dress

                    Summer 1813-December 1814: Officers in Red coats with blue facings,
                    buttons in pairs, limited gold lace; men represent a bit of
                    problem. The orders say green faced red uniforms. Did this mean red
                    coats with green facings or green coats with red facings? Supporting
                    documents remain confusing at best but it seems that more red cloth
                    was sent out, suggesting that red may have been the colour. All
                    surviving Lincoln Militia officers' coattees are red coats with blue
                    facings. The headdress could be a "stovepipe" shako or, by the last
                    year of the war, a belgic shako. Trousers grey. Belts?? Hard
                    call. There were many, many black belts sent out from stores in
                    Quebec for the militia but whether or not buff belts were received
                    by 1814 would require more concentrated research.

                    As per drill etc., the flank companies were well-drilled in the
                    standard British platoon and manual exercises.

                    Have fun,

                    Ron Dale
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                      > Chris,
                      >
                      > Obviously the other units portraying other Lincoln Militia units would
                      > be of great help. Other than that, read the drill manual and attend
                      > the Officer/NCO school in April. Someone to run you through it all
                      > would help too.
                      >
                      > Why the change?
                      >
                      > Dave Westhouse,
                      > 1st Royal Scots Battn.

                      Was thinking at camp this past weekend, Was thinking on what fun we
                      had back in the day.
                      I joined the 5th Lincoln Militia Back in 1984 and in the mid to late
                      1990's the group went it's own way. Since that date we have lost a few
                      good men. I said to my wife I want to bring back The 5th Lincoln. One
                      so we can pay respect to the men that fought back in 1812 to 1813,
                      Also for the Men that I grew up with and has past on to.
                      So this is the reason for the Change. See you all this weekend!

                      God save the king

                      Signed, Captain Wilkinson of the 5th Lincoln Militia
                    • John Potter
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                        G'day all,

                        Just noticed the reference to the Officer / NCO school in April.
                        Assuming that this is for British Napoleonic forces, can someone
                        please enlighten me as to where and when this will be happening..?
                        Which manual do you follow here..? Are you linked in with the drill
                        and organisation of the British Napoleonic Association and/or the
                        British Battalion of the European Napoleonic Society..?

                        Thanks,

                        John

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Westhouse" <westhouse@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Chris,
                        >
                        > Obviously the other units portraying other Lincoln Militia units
                        would
                        > be of great help. Other than that, read the drill manual and attend
                        > the Officer/NCO school in April. Someone to run you through it all
                        > would help too.
                        >
                        > Why the change?
                        >
                        > Dave Westhouse,
                        > 1st Royal Scots Battn.
                        >

                        > ...but If anyone hasany information I could use to help portray this
                        > unit as well as we can it would be greatly appreciated. Commands,
                        > drills, etc..
                        >
                        > God save the king
                        >
                        > Signed, Captain Wilkinson of the 5th Lincoln Militia

                      • Gord Deans
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                          John,

                          This school is held in April of each year at Fort York, Toronto,
                          Ontario for the NCOs and officers of 1812 British Crown Forces units.
                          These unit leaders get refreshment training and drill in the manual of
                          arms and parade as practiced by 1812 units in order that they can in
                          turn train their units before the reenactment season begins in May at
                          Longwoods, near London, Ontario.

                          Versions of the manual of arms can be found at the web sites of some
                          infantry units such as the 1st Royal Scots.

                          This is separate from any Napoleonic associations.

                          Gord Deans,
                          HMS Charwell Landing Party.

                          wrote:

                          > Chris,
                          >
                          > Obviously the other units portraying other Lincoln Militia units
                          would
                          > be of great help. Other than that, read the drill manual and attend
                          > the Officer/NCO school in April. Someone to run you through it all
                          > would help too.
                          >
                          > Why the change?
                          >
                          > Dave Westhouse,
                          > 1st Royal Scots Battn.
                          >

                          > ...but If anyone hasany information I could use to help portray this
                          > unit as well as we can it would be greatly appreciated. Commands,
                          > drills, etc..
                          >
                          > God save the king
                          >
                          > Signed, Captain Wilkinson of the 5th Lincoln Militia

                          ------------------------------------

                          War of 1812 Living History:
                          A wide-ranging information exchange
                          for all participants and supporters

                          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                          American Forces Unit Listing
                          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                          WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                          http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslistYahoo! Groups
                          Links
                        • John Potter
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                            Thanks Gord,

                            I'll check out some websites to see how the manual/s of arms compare
                            with what I'm used to. I was intrigued at your separation of 1812
                            stuff from the broader Napoleonic scene - isn't the War of 1812
                            considered part of the Napoleonic Wars here..?

                            Cheers,

                            John

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gord Deans" <gord.deans@...> wrote:

                            > John,
                            >
                            > This school is held in April of each year at Fort York, Toronto,
                            > Ontario for the NCOs and officers of 1812 British Crown Forces
                            units.
                            > These unit leaders get refreshment training and drill in the manual
                            of
                            > arms and parade as practiced by 1812 units in order that they can in
                            > turn train their units before the reenactment season begins in May
                            at
                            > Longwoods, near London, Ontario.
                            >
                            > Versions of the manual of arms can be found at the web sites of some
                            > infantry units such as the 1st Royal Scots.
                            >
                            > This is separate from any Napoleonic associations.
                            >
                            > Gord Deans,
                            > HMS Charwell Landing Party.

                          • Gord Deans
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                              The War of 1812 (in far away North America) was a side-issue from the
                              European point of view and had its own unique style. American and
                              Canadian War of 1812 reenactors tend to emphasize the "local" events
                              and reflect the "local" participants, climate and terrain.

                              There are Napoleonic events and groups in North America and there is
                              some cross-participation on occasion but it would be anachronistic and
                              confusing to the public to portray Napoleonic regiments and tactics on
                              the actual sites of North American battles.

                              Many War of 1812 reenactors and units do travel to "Waterloo" each
                              year to get a "taste" of the grand Napoleonic.

                            • mimathews@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                                Someone pass me the popcorn. This ought to be good. ;-)

                                Michael

                                --
                                A Truism - For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                                From: "John Potter" <potts4259@...>

                                Thanks Gord,

                                I'll check out some websites to see how the manual/s of arms compare
                                with what I'm used to. I was intrigued at your separation of 1812
                                stuff from the broader Napoleonic scene - isn't the War of 1812
                                considered part of the Napoleonic Wars here..?

                                Cheers,

                                John

                                (snip)Recent Activity
                                4New Members
                                1New Photos
                                Visit Your Group
                                Y! Entertainment
                                World of Star Wars
                                Rediscover the force.
                                Explore now.
                                Yahoo! News
                                Get it all here
                                Breaking news to
                                entertainment news
                                Y! Groups blog
                                The place to go
                                to stay informed
                                on Groups news!.

                              • Gord Deans
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                                  John asked:
                                  "isn't the War of 1812 considered part of the Napoleonic Wars
                                  here...?"

                                  The North American answer would be "NO."

                                  However, taking the broader French / Napoleonic point of view, it was
                                  a second front in the Napoleonic War that was meant to distract and
                                  weaken the British. I am sure that there was French intervention
                                  behind the scenes to provoke the Americans into declaring war (and
                                  they thought that they were just going shopping). Although the United
                                  States was almost as equally prone to declare war on France as on
                                  Britain as a result of the trade embargoes, French manipulations
                                  probably tipped the balance.

                                  "When gold changes hands, it also usually changes hearts." Who knows
                                  what great American family fortune began with the War of 1812 in spite
                                  of an economy that was about to collapse.

                                  Michael, here is your popcorn.
                                • JGIL1812@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                                    In a message dated 9/2/2008 8:18:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                    gord.deans@... writes:

                                    <<<but it would be anachronistic and
                                    confusing to the public to portray Napoleonic regiments and tactics on
                                    the actual sites of North American battles.>>>

                                    Gord,

                                    Are you saying that the British army in Canada during the Napoleonic Wars
                                    didn't follow the same drill and tactics as their European bound brothers?

                                    JG/RE

                                    deal here.

                                  • JGIL1812@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                                      In a message dated 9/2/2008 8:58:55 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                      gord.deans@... writes:

                                      <<The North American answer would be "NO.">>>
                                      Gord,

                                      With all due respect maybe the American answer would be a resounding "NO"
                                      but much of Prevost policies and tactics were driven by what was happening in
                                      Europe and when Nappy was defeated many of the troops engaged in Europe ended
                                      up in front of Washington, Plattsburg and New Orleans.

                                      Your humble servant,
                                      JG/RE

                                      deal here.

                                    • Gord Deans
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                                        The British Army and Navy in North America used the same manuals,
                                        rules and regulations.

                                        War of 1812 reenactors in North America reenact actual North American
                                        battles and portray actual North American regiments on original battle
                                        sites and on the original scale of companies and regiments (and
                                        usually without cavalry). Until Plattsburgh, there were few
                                        engagements consisting of more than a couple of half-strength British
                                        regiments. Some current Napoleonic reenactments are larger than any
                                        actual North American battles two hundred years ago.

                                        There was neither the resources nor the terrain in North America for
                                        the massive armies and tactics of the Napoleonic Wars. The logistics
                                        and tactics of multiple armies and divisions in well-populated areas
                                        was very different from those of regiments and companies in
                                        sparsely-populated areas. Armies on the scale of hundreds of
                                        thousands would have starved to death after a few days in the field
                                        (or before even getting to the field) in North America.

                                        Some progressives will argue (not me), that Napoleonic reenacting in
                                        North America (except in preparation for trips to Europe) is
                                        equivalent to Middle Ages reenacting in North America -- colourful and
                                        fun but not "real" or relevant to the North American experience.

                                        Napoleonic reenacting and War of 1812 reenacting might "look the same"
                                        but are really quite separate events, organizations and units.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 2, 2008
                                          To reiterate my answer to John's original question -
                                          "Are you linked in with the drill and organisation of the British
                                          Napoleonic Association and/or the British Battalion of the European
                                          Napoleonic Society...?"

                                          No. The Crown Forces and War of 1812 reenacting community is not
                                          "linked" with these associations / societies (the reasons for which
                                          have been previously stated).

                                          The drill and uniforms (of the British Army) might have been shared in
                                          common and in Prevost's mind, North America might have been part of
                                          the grand strategy of the Napoleonic War, but in effect it was merely
                                          a struggle to save another colony to keep the British empire and pride
                                          intact. I would argue that the Carribean colonies were still
                                          considered more important by Britain.

                                          Actually, losing British North America could have only increased
                                          Britain's ability to overcome Napoleon.
                                        • Iain Burns
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 3, 2008
                                            Hullo John...

                                            Take a look at our (your?) website for my take on things... just click on the "1812" link.

                                            http://www.the-black-watch-lha.org/1815/<http://www.the-black-watch-lha.org/1815/>

                                            Aye,
                                            Iain

                                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com<mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>, "Gord Deans" <gord.deans@...> wrote:

                                            > John,
                                            >
                                            > This school is held in April of each year at Fort York, Toronto,
                                            > Ontario for the NCOs and officers of 1812 British Crown Forces
                                            units.
                                            > These unit leaders get refreshment training and drill in the manual
                                            of
                                            > arms and parade as practiced by 1812 units in order that they can in
                                            > turn train their units before the reenactment season begins in May
                                            at
                                            > Longwoods, near London, Ontario.
                                            >
                                            > Versions of the manual of arms can be found at the web sites of some
                                            > infantry units such as the 1st Royal Scots.
                                            >
                                            > This is separate from any Napoleonic associations.
                                            >
                                            > Gord Deans,
                                            > HMS Charwell Landing Party.

                                            On

                                          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 3, 2008
                                              The (Bonapartist) French most certainly did encourage the war ad see it as a second front. When Napoleon returned from exile in Elba he sent advisors to the US including Gerneral Humbert of the 'Year of the French' fame. Humbert was commanding at the attle of Ballinamuck in Ireland where the young Edward Michael Pakenhan first saw action.

                                              Humbert was with?Andrew Jackson at New Orleans and Jackson?sent him to the West Bank of the river?with re-inforcements for Morgan and originaly intended that he should take command in that sector but the troops refsed to be commanded by a "Foreigner".

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                Nonetheless the British Army in hcAmerica was the 'Napoleonic' or rather the 'Wellingtonian' army. Certainly it was adapted to new conditions of campaign but it was the same army in every respect, indeed after the first abdication of Buonapart the Naoleonic veterans shipped out to North America much to the cagin of Wellington at Waterloo who didn't have many of his veterans aailable to him.

                                                The biggest effect the Napoleonic wars had on the war of 1812 (in my opinion) was at the battle of New Oreans where, despite the urging of officers who had exerience in the Americas, Pakenham couldn't beleve that Jacksons entrnched and fortified line was anything but a death trap and so?made is first advance as a reconnasance in force rather than an all out attack (he never did have the 3 to one troop ratio that was the rule to take such a position from?seasoned troops). Had he done so he would have carried the position on December 28th.
                                                ?
                                                The Army might have had to adapt for service in North America but it most certainly was the same force used in Europe, and all ovr the world.?
                                                Which reminds me I wonder if we could?re-enact the defeat the Gurkhas in Nepal 1815, first time they had ever been conqured and the begining of their long and glorious history of service with the British Army.

                                                Cheers

                                                Tim?

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                  My daughter's in Nepal right now.. I'll ask her to see if they're interested.. ;-)

                                                  See you at the GT!

                                                  "Lt." Tom

[...]

                                                  Recent Activity
                                                  a.. 4New Members
                                                  b.. 1New Photos
                                                  Visit Your Group
                                                  Y! Entertainment
                                                  World of Star Wars

                                                  Rediscover the force.

                                                  Explore now.

                                                  Yahoo! News
                                                  Kevin Sites

                                                  Get coverage of

                                                  world crises.

                                                  Biz Resources
                                                  Y! Small Business

                                                  Articles, tools,

                                                  forms, and more.
                                                  .

                                                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                    My daughter's in Nepal right now.. I'll ask her to see if they're interested.. ;-)

                                                    Well, I might just stay on the sidelines for this, I know the Gurkhas get very enthusiastic and their old method of dispatching senior officers (if they could get to them) was to dodge under the horse and disembowel or hamstring it, then take the head off the rider!

                                                    With?1808-15 wars we often thiink of actions being confined to Europe and North America but it was very much a World War for Britain with actions in South America, India, Java, the Caibbean etc. and of course if we go back to the Revolutionary war?with France we can include Egypt, Palestine, and lots of other places too, including any ocean where a French and British ship might meet.

                                                  • mimathews@comcast.net
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                      Exactly, some fascinating and oft time highly significant actions "on the fringes." Of which North America is a part. I'll take this opportunity to put in a plug for one of my favorite books, "Dreams of Empire" by Paul Fregosi. Worth a read for anyone wanted the "big picture" effect.

                                                      Michael

                                                      --
                                                      A Truism - For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                                                      From: BritcomHMP@...

                                                      With?1808-15 wars we often thiink of actions being confined to Europe and North America but it was very much a World War for Britain with actions in South America, India, Java, the Caibbean etc. and of course if we go back to the Revolutionary war?with France we can include Egypt, Palestine, and lots of other places too, including any ocean where a French and British ship might meet.

                                                      Recent Activity
                                                      4New Members
                                                      1New Photos
                                                      Visit Your Group
                                                      Only on Yahoo!
                                                      World of Star Wars
                                                      Meet fans, watch
                                                      videos & more.
                                                      Yahoo! News
                                                      Get it all here
                                                      Breaking news to
                                                      entertainment news
                                                      Change your life
                                                      with Yahoo! Groups
                                                      balance nutrition,
                                                      activity & well-being..

                                                    • jeff.mason10
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 26, 2011
                                                        Hi My name is Jeff Mason, a member of the Royal Scots Lights. Thought I would pop in and see what was up on the forum. I have a general interest in military history, with Napoleonics, American Civil War, English Civil War, and Ancients being of particular interest.
                                                      • MasterAtArms
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jul 27, 2011
                                                          Welcome to the list, Jeff!

                                                          Dale Kidd
                                                          Master at Arms,
                                                          H.M. Provincial Marine
                                                        • Glenn Davis
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 27, 2011
                                                            DALE, Greetings from Tennessee! I've just recently joined your HMMarines group,,,even though I have no real idea of just when I'll be able to start getting my kit together and actually be able to attend an event where your group will be present,,,but was just wondering how active the HM Marine group still is,,,active that is? I've looked at your web site and from what I can remember there rerally isn't much there as far as a schedule,,,and was wondering just how far in advnace that the group does try to plan a schedule,,,any info that you could give me would be greatly appreciated! YOS, Glenn Davis