Fort St. Joseph Pictures

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hello list!

      I had the opportunity this weekend to visit the site/ruins of Fort St.
      Joseph near Sault Ste. Marie.

      This is where Captain Roberts of the 10th RVB left to capture Fort
      Michlimackinac at the opening of the War of 1812. The fort was burned
      by the Americans in 1814 and never restored.

      It is in a very remote location - about a half hour off of the highway
      with the exit a further half hour drive from Sault Ste. Marie. It is
      on a promonotory on the southern most tip of the very large and scenic
      St. Joseph Island.

      I thought that not many list members would ever have an opportunity to
      visit this site and have made available my photo album in Flickr.

      Please follow the link:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom4141fournier/sets/72157607054496072/

      If it does not work or you can not reconstruct it, let me know off line
      and I will be happy to email you the link.

      tom4141fournier (@) yahoo.ca

      Looking forward to seeing many of you at the Grand Tactical!

      Tom Fournier
      41st Regiment of Foot MLHG
      www.fortyfirst.org
    • HAROLD DENNISON
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
        Thanks for the pics, Tom.
        Fort St Joseph, while a little out of the way, is well worth the visit. Bonni and I and the boys were there a number of years ago after attending the event at Mackinac. Because there is nothing built up around it, it gives a much better impression/feeling of just how remote these two outposts really were.

        Hal

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
          Thanks Tom!
          When I lived in Algoma, the site had not been "developed" at all. Nice
          to see progress.