NEW DATE: War of 1812 War College, May 23, 2009

  • Michael Whittaker
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2008
      Due to scheduling conflicts,�the organizers have had to change the date of the War College in Ogdensburg to May 23, 2009.

      By my calendar, this is not�the Victoria Day Weekend in Canada when all loyal�subjects celebrate with a Molsons Canadian in hand.�However, the folks in Ogdensburg would have planned it that way, if they could, to take revenge for our lads coming across the ice�February 22, 1813 to interrupt the celebrations of George Washington's birthday.

      Future notices will be going out in other media, but you heard it here first.

      Four seminars will be held at the National Register of Historic Places "Freighthouse Restaurant" in Ogdensburg, located on a section of the 1812 battlefield, and adjacent to the Fort de la Pr�sentation archaeological site. Participants� registration fees will provide for three meals - a continental breakfast, buffet lunch and sit-down supper. Although the cost has not yet been finalized, it is expected to be about $50 US.

      Major John R. Grodzinski, MA, FINS, a serving Officer with the Canadian Forces, will give the keynote speech. Major Grodzinski will survey the War of 1812 on the Upper St. Lawrence River, the theater of the War having direct effects upon northern New York State and Ontario. He is on staff of the Department of History at the Royal Military College in Kingston, where he is also a doctoral candidate. His dissertation will examine British strategy during the War of 1812.

      Dr. Timothy Abel, PhD (Archaeology), is the Executive Director of the Jefferson County Historical Society. Dr. Abel will speak on the archaeology of the War of 1812, specifically how historic archaeology can cooperate academically with more traditional historic research (archival and cartographic) to enhance our understanding. Dr. Abel is also the President of the Sackets Harbor Battlefield Alliance and has conducted extensive archaeological investigations at War of 1812 sites in northern New York.

      Dr. Gary Gibson, a board member of the Sackets Harbor Battlefield Alliance, will be talking about naval Operations on Lake Ontario during the War of 1812. He is intimately involved with historic preservation and educational/interpretive/commemorative initiatives in Sackets Harbor and Jefferson County.

      Mr. Donald E. Graves, a widely published military historian, will speak on "Forgotten Soldiers: The Regular US Army and the War in the North, 1812-1815." This lecture will focus upon the contributions of the Regular U.S. Army, particularly the soldiers stationed at Sackets Harbor (future Madison Barracks). Educated at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Mr. Graves has served as an historian for the National Historic Sites Branch of Parks Canada, the National Archives of Canada and the Canadian Forces. Mr. Graves currently owns and operates his own historic-preservation consulting firm.

      Mr. James Reagan, on the board of the Fort La Pr�sentation Association and a long-time support of the fort reconstruction project, will offer a tour the February 1813 battlefield through the streets of Ogdensburg. Mr. Reagan is author of "Warriors of La Pr�sentation" and "Fort Oswegatchie: The Revolutionary War in Northern New York." He is editor of the Ogdensburg Journal and the Journal-Advance.

      An alternate program for accompanying spouses�not interested in the War College is planned.

      Please indicate your interest in the War College by contacting fort1749@....

      Thanks for your indulgence,

      Michael Whittaker

    • Dave Westhouse
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2008
        Events calendar changed to reflect this update. The change however
        places the War College on the same weekend as the 1812 event at Fort
        Meigs which has just been recently designated as a Crown Forces all
        up event for 2009. Unfortunate.

        You are correct it is not on the Canadian long weekend. It is on the
        American long weekend which is always the weekend of Fort Meigs. If
        the Fort Meigs weekend is not the 23-24 someone please let me know.

        Dave Westhouse,
        1st Royal Scots Battn.

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Michael Whittaker <whittakermp@...>
        wrote:
        Due to scheduling conflicts, the organizers have had to change the
        date of theWar College in Ogdensburg to May 23, 2009.

        By my calendar, this is not the Victoria Day Weekend in Canada when
        allloyal subjects celebrate with a Molsons Canadian in hand. However,
        the folks inOgdensburg would have planned it that way, if they could,
        to take revenge forour lads coming across the ice February 22, 1813
        to interrupt the celebrationsof George Washington's birthday.

        Future notices will be going out in other media, but you heard it
        here first.

        Four seminars will be held at the National Register of Historic Places
        "Freighthouse Restaurant" in Ogdensburg, located on a section of the
        1812battlefield, and adjacent to the Fort de la Présentation
[...]

        Mr. James Reagan, on the board of the Fort La Présentation
        Association and a long-time support of the fort reconstruction
        project, will offer a tour the February 1813 battlefield through the
        streets of Ogdensburg. Mr. Reagan is author of "Warriors of La
        Présentation" and "Fort Oswegatchie: The Revolutionary
        War in Northern New York." He is editor of the Ogdensburg Journal and
        the Journal-Advance.

        An alternate program for accompanying spouses not interested in the
        War College
        is planned.

        Please indicate your interest in the War College by contacting
        fort1749@....

        Thanks for your indulgence,

        Michael Whittaker
      • arkaologist
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2008
          There is a new new date for the 1812 War College which is May 2, 2009.
          This should alleviate the conflict with Fort Meigs, though it
          undoubtedly creates others. We've had a problem with the venue
          availability for the 23rd.
        • HAROLD DENNISON
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2008
            First weekend in May would be Longwoods!
            Care to try another?    :)

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30, 2008

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
                My apologies for posting May 23 as the new date for the War College.
                The seminar will be may 2 as posted to www.fortlapresentation.net.

                Mea culpa,
                Michael Whittaker
              • Sue
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
                  You're forgiven.
                  Sleep deprivation caused by bleating goat for 2 nights will do it
                  every time. LOL