1812 Re: Master and Commander

  • dzallis
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/1/2008 7:09:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > suthren@... writes:
      >
      > In our 1812 era let's hope that the upcoming Bicentennial stirs in
      some
      > flinty Hollywood heart the urge to see box-office in, say, the
      exploits of Joshua
      > Barney or Oliver Hazard Perry (or even 'Old Fuss And Feathers'
      Winfield
      > Scott) who battle Brits and Canadians that are gallant and worthy
      foes, not
      > despicable near-criminals. We can hope, eh?
      >

      > --------------------------
      > Don't bank on it, this -----------
      > stupid atitude is so ingrained that a few years ago
      > I, and other members of this list, were present at a Battle of New
      Orleans
      > commemoration where the emenent historian Robert Remini (Andrew
      Jackson expert
      > and the official historian of the US Congress) was invited to
      speak. He shocked
      > - no horified many of his listeners when aften making many
      questionable
      > remarks about the British, in the presence of many local
      dignitaries, including
      > the Honorary British Consul, he tried to bring his talk uo to date
      with the
      > statement "and today we are again fighting against terrorists who
      would like to
      > end our way of life"!!
      >
      > When one has higly respected historians coming out with such brain
      dead
      > statements what can we expect from Hollywood.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Tim
      >I remember hearing Robert Remini talk on one of the History
      Channels. He was so one sided in regards to Jackson that it was
      repugnant. Later, I was watching one of the Richard Sharpe series and
      during the commercial breaks Richard Cornwell was asked some
      questions. The most interesting was, he was asked if the French were
      really that bad. He replied that they were not but it was done for
      dramatic effect. Then there must be something against portraying the
      soldiesr as they really were. After all, soldiers probably fight for
      their comrades rather than the symbols we are shown.

      Warmest respects,
      David Vargo

      > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
      budget?
      > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
      > (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?
      ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
        In a message dated 8/2/2008 11:26:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
        Davidjrvargo@... writes:

        Then there must be something against portraying the
        soldiesr as they really were. After all, soldiers probably fight for
        their comrades rather than the symbols we are shown.

        --------------------------------------

        Very True David. I think a very good method is to try to tell the same story
        twice, one from eavch side, which is actualy what I did in my New Orleans
        book. The funny thing is I still got criticised by some people for being anti US
        or rather pro British. It seemed that some took my pro US statements as just
        a plain statement of fact and my pro Brit statements as anti US lies.

        On the movie screen this has been done a few times, examples include Tora!
        Tora! Tora! in which they basicaly made two films form two different poits of
        view and edited them into one, and more recently Clint Eastwood's movies Flags
        of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima which looked at the same event from
        the two sides. Personaly I think that this would be a great way to portray
        the war of 1812, I really do not understand the obsession at justifying
        killing the enemy by having to portray him as evil incarnate (unless he actualy
        was).
        I put it down to modern touchy feely ideas that allof this heroism is very
        bad and the only reason it can ever be glorified is if the other chap is so
        intolerable that they had to be wiped from the face of the earth.

        I don't think the one of my favorite lines from Zulu would ever be used
        today,

        "You know, even as I was shooting em' I was proud of em'"

        Read reviews on AOL Autos.