Re: 5.1. my worst reenacting experience

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Michael Drouillard
      <drouillard_summit@...> wrote:

      > Hey Jim I remember that! oh man.... that was for the "Canada A
      Peoples History" I never did see the finished product but I
      remember more then once rolling my eyes at what they wanted to
      happen. But hey, it more then paid for the gas and powder for the
      weekend.

      > Michael Drouillard - Glens

      Michael, you deserved an Oscar or something for that hit!

      I've discovered that I just can't watch that episode without tears
      coming to my eyes. I like to think this reaction arises from
      contemplating your sad on-screen fate, and not from the sight of all
      the baloney that preceeds it... ;>)

      Jim Yaworsky
      41st

      p.s. drop by next time you're home and I'll run it for you...
      Bring either a hankerchief, or a barf-bag...
      On second thought, to be on the safe side, better bring both... ;>)
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2008
        After getting back from Ft Louisbourg, I have to say "WOW", and not in the
        greatest sense either. I must say it was not the worst experience, but it
        wasn't the greatest, by far.

        I have always felt pretty positive about our own 1812 time period, but after
        experiencing the Seven Years War (F & I for others) time period, I must say
        1812 is far superior in my opinion.

        Positives: The fort and the surrounding village are both spectacular. I
        would go again just for the ambiance.

        Fresh bread

        The temperature

        Shuttles to the parking area

        Negatives: Dealing with Parks Canada at the Louisbourg site- Nobody was
        allowed to bring their own cartridges. So PC made everything and dispensed
        20 rounds per person after we got onto the battlefield. Then after each
        battle, we had to return them. I like not paying for powder, but standing
        there while 2 PC employees dispensed 20 rounds to hundreds of re-enactors
        took a while.

        Safety- There were times that I felt safety was severely lacking. At our
        first safety inspection the PC guy came along and asked our CO "you guys
        look safe. You're ok to go"...no inspection at all. Also the battle
        involved charging with fixed bayonets, uphill, at a run, while taking
        casualties.

        Command staff- Did not exactly instill much confidence in me. They
        frequently seemed so be confused as to how the maneuver numerous troops, and
        yelled at anybody for taking any intiative or following the overall
        commander's orders( which seemed odd to me).

        So in my opinion, we in 1812 have much to be proud of!

        Mark Dickerson

      • Chris McKay
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2008
          You know it's been a head-bashing couple of weeks (Master and
          Commander and now authenticity debates) for Mark to try to steer the
          conversation towards safety. (Five minute rule, anyone?)

          Chris McKay

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>