Re: Master and Commander

  • Dale Kidd
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
      Sadly, it seems that the concept of honourable treatment of one's
      emnemies is out of fashion in Hollywood today, whether historically
      factual or not. I shudder to think of how any portrayal of the Battle
      of Put-in Bay produced today would treat Barclay. He would almost
      certainly die spitted on the blade of a grimacing Perry, who would
      likely be played by Hollywood's all-American hunk de jour. Barclay,
      naturally, would be played by some weasely-looking fellow with a
      British accent.

      Perhaps it would be better if Hollywood did NOT take too close an
      interest in the bicentennial.... they might actually succeed in
      rekindling the war.

      ~Dale
    • dzallis
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 8/1/2008 7:09:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
        > suthren@... writes:
        >
        > In our 1812 era let's hope that the upcoming Bicentennial stirs in
        some
        > flinty Hollywood heart the urge to see box-office in, say, the
        exploits of Joshua
        > Barney or Oliver Hazard Perry (or even 'Old Fuss And Feathers'
        Winfield
        > Scott) who battle Brits and Canadians that are gallant and worthy
        foes, not
        > despicable near-criminals. We can hope, eh?
        >

        > --------------------------
        > Don't bank on it, this -----------
        > stupid atitude is so ingrained that a few years ago
        > I, and other members of this list, were present at a Battle of New
        Orleans
        > commemoration where the emenent historian Robert Remini (Andrew
        Jackson expert
        > and the official historian of the US Congress) was invited to
        speak. He shocked
        > - no horified many of his listeners when aften making many
        questionable
        > remarks about the British, in the presence of many local
        dignitaries, including
        > the Honorary British Consul, he tried to bring his talk uo to date
        with the
        > statement "and today we are again fighting against terrorists who
        would like to
        > end our way of life"!!
        >
        > When one has higly respected historians coming out with such brain
        dead
        > statements what can we expect from Hollywood.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Tim
        >I remember hearing Robert Remini talk on one of the History
        Channels. He was so one sided in regards to Jackson that it was
        repugnant. Later, I was watching one of the Richard Sharpe series and
        during the commercial breaks Richard Cornwell was asked some
        questions. The most interesting was, he was asked if the French were
        really that bad. He replied that they were not but it was done for
        dramatic effect. Then there must be something against portraying the
        soldiesr as they really were. After all, soldiers probably fight for
        their comrades rather than the symbols we are shown.

        Warmest respects,
        David Vargo

        > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
        budget?
        > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
        > (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?
        ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
          In a message dated 8/2/2008 11:26:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
          Davidjrvargo@... writes:

          Then there must be something against portraying the
          soldiesr as they really were. After all, soldiers probably fight for
          their comrades rather than the symbols we are shown.

          --------------------------------------

          Very True David. I think a very good method is to try to tell the same story
          twice, one from eavch side, which is actualy what I did in my New Orleans
          book. The funny thing is I still got criticised by some people for being anti US
          or rather pro British. It seemed that some took my pro US statements as just
          a plain statement of fact and my pro Brit statements as anti US lies.

          On the movie screen this has been done a few times, examples include Tora!
          Tora! Tora! in which they basicaly made two films form two different poits of
          view and edited them into one, and more recently Clint Eastwood's movies Flags
          of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima which looked at the same event from
          the two sides. Personaly I think that this would be a great way to portray
          the war of 1812, I really do not understand the obsession at justifying
          killing the enemy by having to portray him as evil incarnate (unless he actualy
          was).
          I put it down to modern touchy feely ideas that allof this heroism is very
          bad and the only reason it can ever be glorified is if the other chap is so
          intolerable that they had to be wiped from the face of the earth.

          I don't think the one of my favorite lines from Zulu would ever be used
          today,

          "You know, even as I was shooting em' I was proud of em'"

          Read reviews on AOL Autos.