Re: Brock's Monument

  • Charlie
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 1, 2008
      Sirs,

      Please forgive my ignorance of Canadian history, which I am attempting
      to correct.

      I've recently heard a Stan Rogers' song called MacDonnell on the
      Heights about General Brock & a fellow (Major?) MacDonnell. Beautiful
      song (typical of Stan Rogers), and it piqued my interest in this man
      whose name is on Brock's Monument that you speak of.

      Is there further information on this story to be shared?

      Most appreciatively,

      Charlie Q
    • Gord Deans
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 18, 2008
        Dale,

        You are dead on the mark. Even with the daily grinding of holystones
        and swabbing, the tar seams were a great bother in the Carribean and
        Mediterranean Seas. With the sunlight from directly overhead and
        temperatures ranging from a "cool" 100 degrees F. through 130 degrees
        F., shoes were known to stick and be pulled off (I assume the buckled
        variety) just as they were known to fall from the yardarms. Some
        officers and definitely all midshipmen were sent aloft.

        Apparently there was no article of war to protect sailors from being
        struck by the officers' shoes although the reverse would earn the
        sailor a visit to see the Bosun's pet cat "Scourge".

        Alternately, the swelling ridges and stickiness of the tar (and cord)
        caulking would provide improved traction.

        Gord