Re: 1812 Re: Master and Commander

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
      Now we just need a script and someone to pitch it to...

      On 8/1/08, suthren@... <suthren@...> wrote:

      > I really think the story of the Lake Erie naval race,culminating at
      > Put-in Bay, would make a terrific film, particularly because of several
      > factors: (a) Perry and Barclay were both honourable men and fine seamen, and
      > did the best they could under trying conditions; (b) Perry's seamanship in
      > getting his fleet out 'over the bar' was masterful; (c) Barclay manned his
      > fleet with Brits, Canadians and Warriors, and fought hard and
      > courageously---as did Perry's men---in a close-fought battle that could have
      > gone either way; and (d) Perry and his men treated Barclay's men with
      > honour, and the seamen worked together to put things back together after the
      > battle. And Perry tended Barclay personally, even supporting him as they
      > stood at the burial of the officers of both fleets ashore. Courage,
      > seamanship, honour and the behavior of brave "officers and gentlemen" who
      > respected one another. It doesn't get any better than that. And what a film
      > it would make....
      >
      > Vic

      John J. Ogden
      Hanley School of Law
      Duquesne University
      Class of 2011

      Madison, June 20, 1785

      "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
      founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of
      enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and, as the
      said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
      Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising
      from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony
      existing between the two countries." -- Article 11 of the Treaty of Peace
      and Friendship between the United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli
      of Barbary, 3 Junad 1211 (Muslim calendar), 4 November 1796 C.E..

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
        In a message dated 8/1/2008 7:09:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
        suthren@... writes:

        In our 1812 era let's hope that the upcoming Bicentennial stirs in some
        flinty Hollywood heart the urge to see box-office in, say, the exploits of Joshua
        Barney or Oliver Hazard Perry (or even 'Old Fuss And Feathers' Winfield
        Scott) who battle Brits and Canadians that are gallant and worthy foes, not
        despicable near-criminals. We can hope, eh?

        -------------------------------------

        Don't bank on it, this stupid atitude is so ingrained that a few years ago
        I, and other members of this list, were present at a Battle of New Orleans
        commemoration where the emenent historian Robert Remini (Andrew Jackson expert
        and the official historian of the US Congress) was invited to speak. He shocked
        - no horified many of his listeners when aften making many questionable
        remarks about the British, in the presence of many local dignitaries, including
        the Honorary British Consul, he tried to bring his talk uo to date with the
        statement "and today we are again fighting against terrorists who would like to
        end our way of life"!!

        When one has higly respected historians coming out with such brain dead
        statements what can we expect from Hollywood.

        Cheers,

        Read reviews on AOL Autos.

      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
          Sadly, it seems that the concept of honourable treatment of one's
          emnemies is out of fashion in Hollywood today, whether historically
          factual or not. I shudder to think of how any portrayal of the Battle
          of Put-in Bay produced today would treat Barclay. He would almost
          certainly die spitted on the blade of a grimacing Perry, who would
          likely be played by Hollywood's all-American hunk de jour. Barclay,
          naturally, would be played by some weasely-looking fellow with a
          British accent.

          Perhaps it would be better if Hollywood did NOT take too close an
          interest in the bicentennial.... they might actually succeed in
          rekindling the war.

          ~Dale
        • dzallis
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 8/1/2008 7:09:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
            > suthren@... writes:
            >
            > In our 1812 era let's hope that the upcoming Bicentennial stirs in
            some
            > flinty Hollywood heart the urge to see box-office in, say, the
            exploits of Joshua
            > Barney or Oliver Hazard Perry (or even 'Old Fuss And Feathers'
            Winfield
            > Scott) who battle Brits and Canadians that are gallant and worthy
            foes, not
            > despicable near-criminals. We can hope, eh?
            >

            > --------------------------
            > Don't bank on it, this -----------
            > stupid atitude is so ingrained that a few years ago
            > I, and other members of this list, were present at a Battle of New
            Orleans
            > commemoration where the emenent historian Robert Remini (Andrew
            Jackson expert
            > and the official historian of the US Congress) was invited to
            speak. He shocked
            > - no horified many of his listeners when aften making many
            questionable
            > remarks about the British, in the presence of many local
            dignitaries, including
            > the Honorary British Consul, he tried to bring his talk uo to date
            with the
            > statement "and today we are again fighting against terrorists who
            would like to
            > end our way of life"!!
            >
            > When one has higly respected historians coming out with such brain
            dead
            > statements what can we expect from Hollywood.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Tim
            >I remember hearing Robert Remini talk on one of the History
            Channels. He was so one sided in regards to Jackson that it was
            repugnant. Later, I was watching one of the Richard Sharpe series and
            during the commercial breaks Richard Cornwell was asked some
            questions. The most interesting was, he was asked if the French were
            really that bad. He replied that they were not but it was done for
            dramatic effect. Then there must be something against portraying the
            soldiesr as they really were. After all, soldiers probably fight for
            their comrades rather than the symbols we are shown.

            Warmest respects,
            David Vargo

            > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
            budget?
            > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
            > (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?
            ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
              In a message dated 8/2/2008 11:26:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
              Davidjrvargo@... writes:

              Then there must be something against portraying the
              soldiesr as they really were. After all, soldiers probably fight for
              their comrades rather than the symbols we are shown.

              --------------------------------------

              Very True David. I think a very good method is to try to tell the same story
              twice, one from eavch side, which is actualy what I did in my New Orleans
              book. The funny thing is I still got criticised by some people for being anti US
              or rather pro British. It seemed that some took my pro US statements as just
              a plain statement of fact and my pro Brit statements as anti US lies.

              On the movie screen this has been done a few times, examples include Tora!
              Tora! Tora! in which they basicaly made two films form two different poits of
              view and edited them into one, and more recently Clint Eastwood's movies Flags
              of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima which looked at the same event from
              the two sides. Personaly I think that this would be a great way to portray
              the war of 1812, I really do not understand the obsession at justifying
              killing the enemy by having to portray him as evil incarnate (unless he actualy
              was).
              I put it down to modern touchy feely ideas that allof this heroism is very
              bad and the only reason it can ever be glorified is if the other chap is so
              intolerable that they had to be wiped from the face of the earth.

              I don't think the one of my favorite lines from Zulu would ever be used
              today,

              "You know, even as I was shooting em' I was proud of em'"

              Read reviews on AOL Autos.