Re: 1812 Re: Master and Commander vs Gladiator (again)

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2008
      .... And when you think about it, those damned Romans stole
      everything from the Greeks!

      CW
      On 1-Aug-08, at 12:37 AM, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 7/31/2008 5:33:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > yawors1@... writes:
      >
      > a movie that ripped off most of its plot from
      > The Fall of the Roman Empire (Alec Guiness, Stephen Boyd, etc) and
      > used sound clips from "Zulu"
      >
      > -------
      >
      > Ah but though it starts with 'The Fall of the Roman Empire' it
      > segues into
      > 'Spartacus' (with Oliver Reed playing the Peter Ustinov part)
      > before returning
      > to FotRE (with Derek Jacobi in the Charles Lawton part, even has
      > the same
      > character name).

    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2008
        Sir Laurence Olivier: "So which damned one's Spartacus?!?" ;>)

        Jim Yaworsky

        [sorry - couldn't resist...]

        > On 1-Aug-08, at 12:37 AM, BritcomHMP@... wrote:
        > > Ah but though it starts with 'The Fall of the Roman Empire' it
        > > segues into
        > > 'Spartacus' (with Oliver Reed playing the Peter Ustinov part)
      • whittakermp
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2008
          I don't know the difference between a selvage strop and a stay tackle,
          but I'll figure it out. Vic, do you give tutorials?

          Many of the unwashed who read Pierre Berton's volumes on the War of
          1812 may not have picked out his errors. Nonetheless, his work
          attracted many to the hobby and then they learned. All things come
          through experience and much like schooling, it takes time to become
          educated.

          Tree things were right in The Pariot: Benjamin Martin's rage over his
          son's death acted out on the lobsterback he hacked; the debate in the
          legislature over going to war; and Aunt Charolotte busting out of her
          stays.

          And Gladiator...what about those teutonic Zulus chanting in the forest?

          Michael Whittaker
        • Gord Deans
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2008
            If you are reading the latest edition of the Journal of the War of
            1812, Volume 11, No. 2, on Page 5 do NOT be mislead by the article
            about Port Claiborne, Ontario, which 'seek[s] to put Port Claiborne
            "on the map."'

            Port Claiborne, Ontario, is NOT and NEVER will be on the map.
            Port Claiborne, Ontario, does NOT exist except in the editor's mind.
            Dan Anger does NOT exist.
            There is a Don Anger, a local historian with several books to his
            credit.
            The Port Claiborne Historical and Marine Museum does NOT exist.
            There is a Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum.
            And yes, Virginia is the curator and Don's wife.

            Could this be the result of the collision of dyslexia with a
            typographical error or is it part of a sinister plot by Cousin
            Jonathan to create a new city in Ontario?

            It can only be hoped for that the historical facts presented will be a
            little more accurate.

          • Craig Williams
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2008
              > Gord said.....
              >
              > Could this be the result of the collision of dyslexia with a
              > typographical error or is it part of a sinister plot by Cousin
              > Jonathan to create a new city in Ontario?
              >

              > This is likely the same "syndrome" that has Lake Ontario and Lake
              > Erie flipped and no Georgian Bay in the "Napoleonic Source Book" by
              > PJ Haythornthwaite or should I say Hyahtronethwiate?
              >

              > Craig Williams

            • peter monahan
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2008
                Gord said.....

                Could this be the result of the collision of dyslexia with a
                typographical error...

                "Dyslexics of the world untie!"
              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2008
                  In a message dated 8/2/2008 4:21:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  sgtwarner@... writes:

                  This is likely the same "syndrome" that has Lake Ontario and Lake
                  > Erie flipped and no Georgian Bay in the "Napoleonic Source Book" by
                  > PJ Haythornthwaite or should I say Hyahtronethwiate?

                  My experience of the man (from many years ago) is that now he has written it
                  down he will defend its accuracy to the death, I never knew him to admit a
                  mistake.

                  'So he has written, so shall it be!'

                  Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                • Craig Williams
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                    So therefore, by that logic, I now live in Hamilton at the head of
                    Lake Erie?

                    );^P

                    Craig
                    On 3-Aug-08, at 12:33 AM, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 8/2/2008 4:21:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    > sgtwarner@... writes:
                    >
                    > This is likely the same "syndrome" that has Lake Ontario and Lake
                    > > Erie flipped and no Georgian Bay in the "Napoleonic Source Book" by
                    > > PJ Haythornthwaite or should I say Hyahtronethwiate?

                    > My experience of the man (from many years ago) is that now he has
                    > written it
                    > down he will defend its accuracy to the death, I never knew him to
                    > admit a
                    > mistake.
                    >
                    > 'So he has written, so shall it be!'
                    >
                    > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
                    > budget?
                    > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
                    > (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?
                    > ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

                  • Ray Hobbs
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                      And, speaking of Hamilton. I have lost count of the number of
                      misplacings of "Burlington Heights" in maps in books on the War of
                      1812. The location seems to be the most mobile of any and all other
                      sites - ranging from St. Catharine's to Milton.
                      Ray H
                      41st