1812 Re: Master & Commander

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 30, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Penni" <penelopepots@...> wrote:

      > My son, now 9 years old, was into the Pirates of the Carribean for ages
      > and ages then suddenly we found this movie. He knows it word for word,
      > battle for battle. [snip]
      > Penni Stoddart
      > London, Ont.

      Penny, I can really relate to this. I have a picture of my son,
      wearing a London bobby helmet, carrying a wooden musket, and ready to
      take on any Zulus who might dare to show up. He has a soother in his
      mouth and is still in diapers.

      He watched Zulu every day for months and then on and off for years.
      He told people he could speak Zulu (or is the language called
      Swahili?), and I half thought he perhaps could... When we watched it,
      he liked to build himself a "mealy-bag" barricade out of the coffee
      table and all available sofa cushions... then he would hunker down
      and prepare to kick some butt!

      As far as I can tell, he is now a normal teenager...

      Jim Yaworsky

      p.s. did I mention that I was usually hunkered down beside him at the
      barricade? "I say, pot that fellow!" ;>)
    • Michael Whittaker
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 6, 2008
        Tom

        My experience over the past 20+ years of reenacting has led me away from 1812 and leaves me with a strong preference AWI and F&I in that order.

        I have not found the 1812 genre to the "tightest", most consistent and best run of all the genres I have been involved with, but I will say the same of the other eras, too.

        No lengthy rational. Suffice it to say that is the way it is for me. But I rarely field any more and enjoy interacting with the public.

        To each their own.

        Michael Whittaker

        PS: Can you read this from behind your soap box?  ;o)