Re: 1812 Sailors' Slops in Canada in 1813

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2008
      Really useful, Ron. Thanks!

      Vic Suthren
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: ronpontiac
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 11:48 AM
      Subject: 1812 Sailors' Slops in Canada in 1813

      I have read the discussion on Sailors' clothing and gleaned these
      from my file cabinet. I transcribed them from photocopies in my file
      of the original documents. It strikes me that the serious reenactor
      might want to go through some of the source documents although I
      recall when doing research on the Amherstburg Navy Yard, about 18
      years ago, that I could find few details on sailors' dress. However,
      I was not researching clothing at the time and merely took
      photocopies of documents on things like dress and rations and filed
      them away. If anyone wants a list of rations, let me know.

      Excerpt from RG 8, "C" Series, V. 729. p. 180

      "Office of the Quarter Master General's Department, Montreal, 21st
      April 1813

      Plans proposed for raising a Marine Corps to be employed in the Gun
      Boats to be Stationing in the Montreal District:

      The Corps to consist of

      2 First Lieutenants at 7s each per day and a Marine Ration
      6 Second Do. at 5s each Do. Do.
      8 Boatswains at 2/6 each Do. Do.
      8 Gunners-----from the Royal Artillery
      156 Gun Boat Men at 8p each per day and a Marine Ration

      The Men in engaging to receive each a Bounty of Twenty Dollars, out
      of which they will have to pay for a Blue Jacket, Trowsers and a
      Glazed Hat.."

      Barclay's request for uniforms for the Lake Erie fleet, May 9, 1813,
      RG 8, "C" Series 729, p. 190

      "Slop Clothing required:

      Jackets blue 150
      Trowsers blue 150
      Shirts 200
      Pair Stockings 200
      Pair Shoes 200
      Duck Frocks 200
      Duck Trowsers Pairs 200
      Hats 100
      Beds 100
      Blankets 100
      Rugs 100
      Thick Greatcoats 100
      Drawers flannel 100
      Waistcoats flannel 100"

      Barclay also made a note about "The Duck to make Frocks and Trowsers"
      as sufficient for a first supply.

      Ron