1812 Re: ? on sailor clothes

  • bolton1812
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 25, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Peter Catley <peter.catley@...>
      wrote:

      > Agreed, that is the point I make, it is a matter of WHERE you draw
      the
      > line of compromise because we all do.
      >
      > I find it depressing when people criticise others for deciding
      > differently from themselves, one persons conscientious re-enactor
      is
      > another's farbie:-)
      >
      > Authenticity is good and to be encouraged but failure to achieve
      > should not be denigrated.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > P**

      P**,
      Though I understand your point, I will argue that in more cases
      than I think a lot of folks admit, the opposite is just as true.
      In AWI there is a movement on above and beyond the "Progressive"
      mindset, and we are calling it "Immersion". Much the same as when
      I did ACW oodles of years ago and we were called "hardcores".
      There is just as much scorn from the mainstream community that we
      are harmful to their fun filled family outing weekends because we
      want it as real as possible.
      I believe that if a person is recreating a mythological character
      for a Dungoens and Dragons convention, or going to a Rennaissance
      Faire...then their impressions can take on whatever absurdity they
      wish. But, in our business, we are portraying actual parts of
      history, and trying to recreate that life and appearance as best as
      possible, not only for ourselves but the public that comes to see us
      who are trying to get a feel for what these predecessors looked
      like. There is a higher purpose here in my mind.
      As you say, no one should be ridiculed but on the same note, there
      are many folks ( in many timeperiods) that get a basic, cheap, quasi-
      authentic impression and thats as far as they go. It's a never
      ending debate and one that will haunt this hobby forever and add
      fuel to the fire to those in the modern community that think we're
      just a bunch of idiot adolecents running about playing war. The
      more honest and serious we take ourselves in recreating quality
      history with quality historical impressions the less they can
      belittle what we endevour to accomplish.
      Cheers,
      Bob