Re: sailor clothes

  • bolton1812
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, mimathews@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Thanks for the bits about sailor clothes not being perfectly made,
      or perfect looking. I am glad to say that my borrowed and altered
      trousers are beat up looking, and my shoes are a mess.
      Unfortunately, they hurt my feet pretty bad, but I guess that is
      authentic too. A few of my other bits are pretty beat up too, so I
      won't be so shiny and new.
      > I will continue to turn out good sewing, but at a real rapid rate -
      next week is filling up really fast.
      > I am highly amused about the laying out canvas and "drafting" out
      trousers on the deck with a bit of charcoal. I have always kinda
      had doing something like in the back of my head with a waistcoat as
      a demo. I have successfully drafted and cut gaiters somewhere for
      a French Marine on site. A demo like this could also be done with
      tearing fabric for shirts to size.
      > Anyone want me to draft them a trouser or tear shirt fabric at
      Duluth? I'm game - bring your fabric and I will do my best!
      > Peg (The real Peg Mathews)

      Peg,
      ...yea, me again! Forgot to mention in my last ramble...check out
      Burnley and Trowbridge outta Willamsburg. They make a man's "pump"
      shoe that is really a lot closer to what sailors were wearing on
      board ship than the regular common shoe. These things are like
      wearing slippers and are the most comfortable period shoe I have
      ever worn. The toe is not as pointed as it should be but it is
      closer than anything that has ever been offered that we can use to
      wear as sailors.
      I forget the stock # as they do not show them in their catalog,
      but I remember they ran about $110. WORTH IT!!!
      Cheers,
      Bob