Re: Alexander Macomb sees the light of day

  • Chris Kimball
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2008
      Since I do Second Seminole War events, I know Macomb as Commanding General of the US Army during the 1830s, and an attempted treaty/agreement with the Seminoles in 1839.  The agreement he made with the Seminoles was very fair and did not force them to remove, which was the contention of the war that was going on since 1835.  The Seminole/Miccosukee leaders who took part in the agreement were very pleased with the arrangements.

      Unfortunately, not all of the Indians in Florida took part in the agreement, and probably didn't even know it was going on.  So when another group of "Spanish Indians" and Miccosukees, attacked a trading post along the Caloosahatchee River two months later and killed over a dozen dragoon soldiers and the civilian traders, the agreement was considered nullified, and the war was back on again.

      But because of the agreement, 1839 was the calmest year of the war.  Few skirmishes and attacks happened that year.

      Macomb's aide or adjutant was John T. Sprague, who later wrote the only comprehensive book of the Second Seminole War until Dr. John Mahon's book 120 years later.  I am a historian of the Seminole wars, and discovered last year through genealogy work that I am Sprague's distant cousin!

      Chris Kimball
      Everglades, Florida