President Madison's meal

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
      Does anybody know what the meal consisted of that had been prepared for
      President Madison and the U.S. officers for their expected victory over the
      British at Washington? According to Maj. Gen. Ross's account, the table had
      been set for 40. But I can't find what the meal actually was.

      Help?

      Mark Dickerson

    • ronpontiac
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anybody know what the meal consisted of that had been prepared
        for
        > President Madison ? >

        I may be wrong but I think it was crow.

        Ron
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
          In a letter to Minerva Rodgers, Dolley offers her a demijohn of "pure wine
          saved from the P��s House the morning of its destruction"

          Other than that, I don't know.

          KW

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
            I know there was Port, Vice Adm. Cockburn described it as 'super excellent'.

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
              In a message dated 7/9/2008 1:44:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
              BritcomHMP@... writes:

              I know there was Port, Vice Adm. Cockburn described it as 'super excellent'.

              OK It was Captain Harry Smith and the wine was Madera, to quote John Cleese
              in the Parrot sketch "I'm sorry, I have a cold'

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
                Best I can do on the meal so far is cold cuts

                (Walter Lord, The Dawn's Early Light)

              • LCpl_rm
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
                  Mark,

                  Paul Jennings, who was one of the Madison's household servants, wrote that he had ale, cider and wine sitting in coolers for a party of 40.

                  Glieg, though he was not among the diners, wrote that in the kitchen there were "Spits, loaded with joints of various sorts, turned vbefore the fire; pots, saucepans and other culinary utensils, stood upon the grate; and all the other requisites for an elegant and substantial repast, were exactly in a state which indicated that they had been lately and precipately abandoned." He also says that the table was set for 40 and several kinds of wine were cooling in the side-board.

                  Cheers,

                  Ed Seufert, Cpl
                  1812 Royal Marines

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronpontiac" <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

                    > I may be wrong but I think it was crow.

                    And I suspect there may have been a side-dish of well-seasoned (by
                    running) foot.

                    ~Dale
                  • ronpontiac
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Kidd" <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:

                      > And I suspect there may have been a side-dish of well-seasoned (by
                      > running) foot.

                      With apologies to the late lamented Sir John Cope.

                      'Now Jimmie, be as good's your word;
                      Come, let us try both fire and sword;
                      And dinna rin like a frichted bird,
                      That's chased frae its nest i' the morning.'

                      Ron