Re: 1812 Coast Guard Burns Old Fort Niagara

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4 12:34 PM
      SURE visit HIS battlefield and not MINE!!!! and you should have waited
      until next weekend when you could have come to Ft Niagara for their 1812
      event!! (that's another $5 Doug)

      Kevin

    • mimathews@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4 2:28 PM
        But Kevin, I've been to your battlefield but had not been to Doug's. Peg and I traveled out to Fort Carillon to join with the 2000 or so reenactors for the 250 of Abercrombie's failure. We had toyed with the idea of staying for this weekend's event at Niagara, but the realities of life sent us back to good ol' Minnesota. Next year for sure at Niagara.

        Michael, who marches to a couple of French drums.

        --
        A Truism - For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

        From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>
        SURE visit HIS battlefield and not MINE!!!! and you should have waited
        until next weekend when you could have come to Ft Niagara for their 1812
        event!! (that's another $5 Doug)

        Kevin

        >From: mimathews@...

        >Good thing it was a couple of days ago that I was there. "Purely a
        >coincidence officer, I REALLY don't hold a grudge." <grin> (I asked about
        >you Doug, but they said you were busy.)
        >
        >Michael

      • Doug DeCroix
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9 7:52 AM
          Yeah..... we have the 1839 gate slated for destruction... who needs history, as long as vehicles can get in.  'Course there won't be any history to worry about if we knock all the original stuff down (those pesky original buildings limit how many soccer fields the park can have, so they're probably next), so I guess that's a moot point.
          And.... uh.....the fire hydrants are so well concealed that evidently people who respond to web groups don't notice them....that's provided they have even been to the site.  Heaven knows the idiots that work here wouldn't think of working with local fire officials to create an emergency plan in advance of the emergency.  It's that kind of planning that leads to limits on artillery firing and such.  There will be none of that kind of forward thinking here.

          Coast Guard Burns Old Fort Niagara
          Posted by: "Gord Deans" gord.deans@...   gorddeans
          Fri Jul 4, 2008 11:55 am (PDT)
          Was the Coast Guard trying to free up more land for expansion? Was
          this a timely wakeup call for the fort's management to create some
          more effective fire access points? Should they at least install some
          "concealed" fire hydrants near all of the buildings?

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9 11:30 AM
            In a message dated 7/9/2008 9:52:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
            d_squared6@... writes:

            It's that kind of planning that leads to limits on artillery firing and
            such. There will be none of that kind of forward thinking here.

            -------------------------------------

            My simpathy Doug but your statement brings up something that may be of
            interest. In my old videos I have found a tape of our old Napoleonic Association
            RHA 6lber gun being fired at a Waterloo commemoration in Hyde Park at a
            sustained rate of 2 rounds per minuet. No fuss, no running about, wet and dry
            sponging between every round, all safety rules followed. The nice thing is that
            the camera is in one place and shows this procedure over a nice period of time.

            Don't want to open this particular can of worms again but if anyone thinks
            this footage might be usefull please let me know.

            Cheers,

          • John Harris
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10 3:06 PM
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Doug DeCroix <d_squared6@...> wrote:

              Yeah..... we have the 1839 gate slated for destruction... who needs
              history, as long as vehicles can get in.  'Course there won't be any
              history to worry about if we knock all the original stuff down (those
              pesky original buildings limit how many soccer fields the park can
              have, so they're probably next), so I guess that's a moot point.
              > And.... uh.....the fire hydrants are so well concealed that
              evidently people who respond to web groups don't notice
              them....that's provided they have even been to the site.  Heaven
              knows the idiots that work here wouldn't think of working with local
              fire officials to create an emergency plan in advance of the
              emergency.  It's that kind of planning that leads to limits on
              artillery firing and such.  There will be none of that kind of
              forward thinking here.

              Hey Doug,
              You really should learn to let things out my friend, keeping them in
              will kill you !!! 8^)
              See you next weekend ,despite (oh, the horror) having to cross the
              border!!!
              John Harris