Re: Brave New World for Reenacting in Wool

  • bolton1812
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

      > It's already started!!! The next thing you know there will be
      Polar
      > Bears migrating into Toronto!

      ...FYI, Scientific community has the Polar Bears extinct by 2025...
      I'm just full of usless information ain't I ?
      Cheers again!,
      Bob Bolton
      7th USI
      Abolt's Coy.

      <tom4141fournier@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > http://www.fortyfirst.org/albums/album51/IMG_6583.jpg
      > >
      > > Palm trees on Lake Erie from Port Dover, 2007!!!!
      > >

      > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ever thought of Palm trees on the banks of Lakes Erie &
      Ontario????

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
        In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
        ebolton123@... writes:

        ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
        have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
        anneversary events too eh???

        ------------------------------------

        Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as the world
        is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the world is
        destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion is devided on the
        subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction of the second
        coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get revised.
        Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting their calculations
        over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.

        For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial just in case,
        though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of Hawaii I daresay
        there won't be too many people left to film it!

        Cheers!

      • John Ogden
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
          The significance of 2012 is much debated, but working from my understanding
          of Mayan cosmology (far from perfect), this is less of a Judeo-Christian
          Total Destruction / Second Coming (we've seen far too many of those dates
          come and go without incident) and more like the Asian (Hindi/Buddhist)
          Cultural Re-Boot when we all wake up and realize what we've been doing wrong
          to ourselves and the world around us. More of a rebirth than an end.
          Incidentally, this is when the Age Aquarius sung about in the musical Hair
          will begin in astronomical terms.

          On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

          > In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
          > ebolton123@... <ebolton123%40comcast.net> writes:
          >
          > ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
          > have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
          > anneversary events too eh???
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as the world
          > is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the world is
          > destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion is devided
          > on the
          > subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction of the
          > second
          > coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get revised.
          > Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting their
          > calculations
          > over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.
          >
          > For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial just in case,
          > though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of Hawaii I
          > daresay
          > there won't be too many people left to film it!
          >
          > Cheers!

          > fuel-efficient used cars. (
          > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

          John J. Ogden
          Hanley School of Law
          Duquesne University
          Class of 2011

          Madison, June 20, 1785

        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
            This has ventured far off topic, however, I will add one more thing and then
            be silent. The end of the world etc, really has nothing to do with Mayan
            Prophets though some people like to think it does. It is really like a
            resetting of a stop watch.
            It is the year that everything goes back to zero. Sort of like a cosmic new
            years day.

            So it isn't a case of the earth being swallowed by the sun, or even everyone
            buying a coke and singing in perfect harmony. Just a case of starting over.
            You do have a choice of "finally getting it" or of "destruction" but the
            choice is yours to make (just as it is every day).

            What it will be, though, is the 199th anniversary of the capture of Ft
            Niagara and my choice will be to remember those that fought there!

            Speaking of Ft Niagara, don't forget that you can fight the battle in REAL
            TIME on the 19th of this month, tour a super fort and possibly meet a real
            person from California (are you coming this year John?) eat donuts, sleep on
            a real battlefield, see the dream pelisse AND the REAL star spangled banner
            (not that 2nd edition in Washington). ;-)

            No I am not a paid employee of the NY State Parks, and Doug doesn't give me
            a $5 kick back every time I say "Come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event"
            (but you should come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event).

            Remember...come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event!!

            Kevin
            89th
          • bolton1812
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2008
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...>
              wrote:

              > The significance of 2012 is much debated, but working from my
              understanding
              > of Mayan cosmology (far from perfect), this is less of a Judeo-
              Christian
              > Total Destruction / Second Coming (we've seen far too many of
              those dates
              > come and go without incident) and more like the Asian
              (Hindi/Buddhist)
              > Cultural Re-Boot when we all wake up and realize what we've been
              doing wrong
              > to ourselves and the world around us. More of a rebirth than an
              end.
              > Incidentally, this is when the Age Aquarius sung about in the
              musical Hair
              > will begin in astronomical terms.

              ...probably correct, John, however the Mayans did get their demise
              darn near spot on. I hope it's the re-boot gig as I will be pissed
              if all my Abolt clothing goes for naught!
              Cheers,
              Bob Bolton
              7th USI

              > On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:
              >

              > > In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
              > > ebolton123@... <ebolton123%40comcast.net> writes:
              > >
              > > ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
              > > have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
              > > anneversary events too eh???
              > >
              > > ------------------------------------
              > >
              > > Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as
              the world
              > > is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the
              world is
              > > destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion
              is devided
              > > on the
              > > subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction
              of the
              > > second
              > > coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get
              revised.
              > > Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting
              their
              > > calculations
              > > over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.
              > >
              > > For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial
              just in case,
              > > though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of
              Hawaii I
              > > daresay
              > > there won't be too many people left to film it!
              > >
              > > Cheers!
              > >
              > > **************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
              > > fuel-efficient used cars. (
              > > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

              > --
              > John J. Ogden
              > Hanley School of Law
              > Duquesne University
              > Class of 2011
              >
              > "Who does not see that the same authority which can establish
              Christianity
              > in exclusion of all other religions may establish, with the same
              ease, any
              > particular sect of Christians in exclusion of all other sects?" --
              James
              > Madison, June 20, 1785

            • John Ogden
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2008
                Bob,
                Myself, I tend to think of either possibility as having a plus-side.
                If the world (by which I mean people) wakes up and pulls its collective head
                out of its collective posterior, this is all to the good. We can get over
                the largely pointless obsession with exterminating each other because we
                have skin-tones / theological beliefs
                / economic interests that don't match. Contrarily, if the world as we know
                it does come to an end, at least I won't have to repay the student loans
                I've been taking out to pay for law school. This is small consolation
                compared to the general lack of ability to indulge in our collective
                obsession, but you have to try to find the good in any situation...

                John J. Ogden
                Hanley School of Law
                Duquesne University
                Class of 2011