Re: Brave New World for Reenacting in Wool

  • bolton1812
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

      > Ever thought of Palm trees on the banks of Lakes Erie & Ontario????
      >
      > -------
      > Hot future shock: Heat wave temperatures to soar
      >
      > Jul 2 04:04 PM US/Eastern
      > By SETH BORENSTEIN
      > AP Science Writer
      >
      > WASHINGTON (AP) - During the European heat wave of 2003 that
      killed
      > tens of thousands, the temperature in parts of France hit 104
      > degrees. Nearly 15,000 people died in that country alone. During
      the
      > Chicago heat wave of 1995, the mercury spiked at 106 and about 600
      > people died.
      > In a few decades, people will look back at those heat waves "and
      we
      > will laugh," said Andreas Sterl, author of a new study. "We will
      find
      > (those temperatures) lovely and cool."
      >
      > Sterl's computer model shows that by the end of the century, high
      > temperatures for once-in-a-generation heat waves will rise twice
      as
      > fast as everyday average temperatures. Chicago, for example, would
      > reach 115 degrees in such an event by 2100. Paris heat waves could
      > near 109 with Lyon coming closer to 114.
      >
      > Sterl, who is with the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute,
      > projects temperatures for rare heat waves around the world in a
      study
      > soon to be published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.
      >
      > His numbers are blistering because of the drying-out effect of a
      > warming world. Most global warming research focuses on average
      daily
      > temperatures instead of these extremes, which cause greater
      damage.

      > His study projects a peak of 117 for Los Angeles and 110 for
      Atlanta
      > by 2100; that's 5 degrees higher than the current records for
      those
      > cities. Kansas City faces the prospect of a 116-degree heat wave,
      > with its current all-time high at 109, according to the National
      > Climactic Data Center.
      >
      > A few cities, such as Phoenix, which once hit 122 degrees and is
      > projected to have heat waves of 120, have already reached these
      > extreme temperatures once or twice. But they would be hitting
      those
      > numbers a little more often as the world heats up over time. For
      New
      > York, it would only be a slight jump from the all-time record of
      104
      > at John F. Kennedy Airport to the projected 106.
      >
      > It could be worse. Delhi, India is expected to hit 120 degrees;
      > Belem, Brazil, 121, and Baghdad, 122.
      >
      > Those figures make sense, Ken Kunkel, a top Midwestern climate
      > scientist and interim director of the Illinois Water Survey.
      >
      > These are temperatures that are dangerous, said University of
      > Wisconsin environmental health professor Dr. Jonathan Patz.
      >
      > "Extreme temperature puts a huge demand on the body, especially
      > anyone with heart problems," Patz said. "The elderly are the most
      > vulnerable because they don't sense temperature as well."
      >
      > And it's not just at the end of the century. By 2050, heat waves
      will
      > be 3 to 5 degrees hotter than now "and probably be longer-
      lasting,"
      > Sterl said.
      >
      > By mid-century, southern France's extreme heat waves should be
      around
      > 111 degrees and then near 118 by the end of the century, Sterl's
      > climate models predict. In the 1990s, that region's extreme heat
      wave
      > peaked at 104 degrees; in the 1950s, the worst heat wave peaked
      > around 91 degrees, according to Sterl.

      ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
      have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
      anneversary events too eh???
      Cheers,
      Bob Bolton
      7th USI
      Abolt's Coy.

    • bolton1812
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

        > It's already started!!! The next thing you know there will be
        Polar
        > Bears migrating into Toronto!

        ...FYI, Scientific community has the Polar Bears extinct by 2025...
        I'm just full of usless information ain't I ?
        Cheers again!,
        Bob Bolton
        7th USI
        Abolt's Coy.

        <tom4141fournier@>

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
          In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
          ebolton123@... writes:

          ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
          have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
          anneversary events too eh???

          ------------------------------------

          Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as the world
          is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the world is
          destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion is devided on the
          subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction of the second
          coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get revised.
          Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting their calculations
          over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.

          For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial just in case,
          though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of Hawaii I daresay
          there won't be too many people left to film it!

          Cheers!

        • John Ogden
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
            The significance of 2012 is much debated, but working from my understanding
            of Mayan cosmology (far from perfect), this is less of a Judeo-Christian
            Total Destruction / Second Coming (we've seen far too many of those dates
            come and go without incident) and more like the Asian (Hindi/Buddhist)
            Cultural Re-Boot when we all wake up and realize what we've been doing wrong
            to ourselves and the world around us. More of a rebirth than an end.
            Incidentally, this is when the Age Aquarius sung about in the musical Hair
            will begin in astronomical terms.

            On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

            > In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
            > ebolton123@... <ebolton123%40comcast.net> writes:
            >
            > ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
            > have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
            > anneversary events too eh???
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as the world
            > is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the world is
            > destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion is devided
            > on the
            > subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction of the
            > second
            > coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get revised.
            > Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting their
            > calculations
            > over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.
            >
            > For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial just in case,
            > though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of Hawaii I
            > daresay
            > there won't be too many people left to film it!
            >
            > Cheers!

            > fuel-efficient used cars. (
            > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

            John J. Ogden
            Hanley School of Law
            Duquesne University
            Class of 2011

            Madison, June 20, 1785

          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
              This has ventured far off topic, however, I will add one more thing and then
              be silent. The end of the world etc, really has nothing to do with Mayan
              Prophets though some people like to think it does. It is really like a
              resetting of a stop watch.
              It is the year that everything goes back to zero. Sort of like a cosmic new
              years day.

              So it isn't a case of the earth being swallowed by the sun, or even everyone
              buying a coke and singing in perfect harmony. Just a case of starting over.
              You do have a choice of "finally getting it" or of "destruction" but the
              choice is yours to make (just as it is every day).

              What it will be, though, is the 199th anniversary of the capture of Ft
              Niagara and my choice will be to remember those that fought there!

              Speaking of Ft Niagara, don't forget that you can fight the battle in REAL
              TIME on the 19th of this month, tour a super fort and possibly meet a real
              person from California (are you coming this year John?) eat donuts, sleep on
              a real battlefield, see the dream pelisse AND the REAL star spangled banner
              (not that 2nd edition in Washington). ;-)

              No I am not a paid employee of the NY State Parks, and Doug doesn't give me
              a $5 kick back every time I say "Come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event"
              (but you should come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event).

              Remember...come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event!!

              Kevin
              89th
            • bolton1812
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2008
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...>
                wrote:

                > The significance of 2012 is much debated, but working from my
                understanding
                > of Mayan cosmology (far from perfect), this is less of a Judeo-
                Christian
                > Total Destruction / Second Coming (we've seen far too many of
                those dates
                > come and go without incident) and more like the Asian
                (Hindi/Buddhist)
                > Cultural Re-Boot when we all wake up and realize what we've been
                doing wrong
                > to ourselves and the world around us. More of a rebirth than an
                end.
                > Incidentally, this is when the Age Aquarius sung about in the
                musical Hair
                > will begin in astronomical terms.

                ...probably correct, John, however the Mayans did get their demise
                darn near spot on. I hope it's the re-boot gig as I will be pissed
                if all my Abolt clothing goes for naught!
                Cheers,
                Bob Bolton
                7th USI

                > On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:
                >

                > > In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
                > > ebolton123@... <ebolton123%40comcast.net> writes:
                > >
                > > ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
                > > have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
                > > anneversary events too eh???
                > >
                > > ------------------------------------
                > >
                > > Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as
                the world
                > > is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the
                world is
                > > destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion
                is devided
                > > on the
                > > subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction
                of the
                > > second
                > > coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get
                revised.
                > > Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting
                their
                > > calculations
                > > over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.
                > >
                > > For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial
                just in case,
                > > though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of
                Hawaii I
                > > daresay
                > > there won't be too many people left to film it!
                > >
                > > Cheers!
                > >
                > > **************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
                > > fuel-efficient used cars. (
                > > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

                > --
                > John J. Ogden
                > Hanley School of Law
                > Duquesne University
                > Class of 2011
                >
                > "Who does not see that the same authority which can establish
                Christianity
                > in exclusion of all other religions may establish, with the same
                ease, any
                > particular sect of Christians in exclusion of all other sects?" --
                James
                > Madison, June 20, 1785

              • John Ogden
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8, 2008
                  Bob,
                  Myself, I tend to think of either possibility as having a plus-side.
                  If the world (by which I mean people) wakes up and pulls its collective head
                  out of its collective posterior, this is all to the good. We can get over
                  the largely pointless obsession with exterminating each other because we
                  have skin-tones / theological beliefs
                  / economic interests that don't match. Contrarily, if the world as we know
                  it does come to an end, at least I won't have to repay the student loans
                  I've been taking out to pay for law school. This is small consolation
                  compared to the general lack of ability to indulge in our collective
                  obsession, but you have to try to find the good in any situation...

                  John J. Ogden
                  Hanley School of Law
                  Duquesne University
                  Class of 2011