Re: Brave New World for Reenacting in Wool

  • J.Bruce Whittaker
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

      > It's already started!!! The next thing you know there will be Polar
      > Bears migrating into Toronto!

      No worries. Toronto's Mayor David Miller will simply ban Polar Bears
      and all will be well. :)
      Regrds,
      Bruce Whittaker
      Georgina, Ontario
    • bolton1812
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

        > Ever thought of Palm trees on the banks of Lakes Erie & Ontario????
        >
        > -------
        > Hot future shock: Heat wave temperatures to soar
        >
        > Jul 2 04:04 PM US/Eastern
        > By SETH BORENSTEIN
        > AP Science Writer
        >
        > WASHINGTON (AP) - During the European heat wave of 2003 that
        killed
        > tens of thousands, the temperature in parts of France hit 104
        > degrees. Nearly 15,000 people died in that country alone. During
        the
        > Chicago heat wave of 1995, the mercury spiked at 106 and about 600
        > people died.
        > In a few decades, people will look back at those heat waves "and
        we
        > will laugh," said Andreas Sterl, author of a new study. "We will
        find
        > (those temperatures) lovely and cool."
        >
        > Sterl's computer model shows that by the end of the century, high
        > temperatures for once-in-a-generation heat waves will rise twice
        as
        > fast as everyday average temperatures. Chicago, for example, would
        > reach 115 degrees in such an event by 2100. Paris heat waves could
        > near 109 with Lyon coming closer to 114.
        >
        > Sterl, who is with the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute,
        > projects temperatures for rare heat waves around the world in a
        study
        > soon to be published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.
        >
        > His numbers are blistering because of the drying-out effect of a
        > warming world. Most global warming research focuses on average
        daily
        > temperatures instead of these extremes, which cause greater
        damage.

        > His study projects a peak of 117 for Los Angeles and 110 for
        Atlanta
        > by 2100; that's 5 degrees higher than the current records for
        those
        > cities. Kansas City faces the prospect of a 116-degree heat wave,
        > with its current all-time high at 109, according to the National
        > Climactic Data Center.
        >
        > A few cities, such as Phoenix, which once hit 122 degrees and is
        > projected to have heat waves of 120, have already reached these
        > extreme temperatures once or twice. But they would be hitting
        those
        > numbers a little more often as the world heats up over time. For
        New
        > York, it would only be a slight jump from the all-time record of
        104
        > at John F. Kennedy Airport to the projected 106.
        >
        > It could be worse. Delhi, India is expected to hit 120 degrees;
        > Belem, Brazil, 121, and Baghdad, 122.
        >
        > Those figures make sense, Ken Kunkel, a top Midwestern climate
        > scientist and interim director of the Illinois Water Survey.
        >
        > These are temperatures that are dangerous, said University of
        > Wisconsin environmental health professor Dr. Jonathan Patz.
        >
        > "Extreme temperature puts a huge demand on the body, especially
        > anyone with heart problems," Patz said. "The elderly are the most
        > vulnerable because they don't sense temperature as well."
        >
        > And it's not just at the end of the century. By 2050, heat waves
        will
        > be 3 to 5 degrees hotter than now "and probably be longer-
        lasting,"
        > Sterl said.
        >
        > By mid-century, southern France's extreme heat waves should be
        around
        > 111 degrees and then near 118 by the end of the century, Sterl's
        > climate models predict. In the 1990s, that region's extreme heat
        wave
        > peaked at 104 degrees; in the 1950s, the worst heat wave peaked
        > around 91 degrees, according to Sterl.

        ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
        have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
        anneversary events too eh???
        Cheers,
        Bob Bolton
        7th USI
        Abolt's Coy.

      • bolton1812
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

          > It's already started!!! The next thing you know there will be
          Polar
          > Bears migrating into Toronto!

          ...FYI, Scientific community has the Polar Bears extinct by 2025...
          I'm just full of usless information ain't I ?
          Cheers again!,
          Bob Bolton
          7th USI
          Abolt's Coy.

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
            In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
            ebolton123@... writes:

            ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
            have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
            anneversary events too eh???

            ------------------------------------

            Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as the world
            is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the world is
            destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion is devided on the
            subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction of the second
            coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get revised.
            Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting their calculations
            over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.

            For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial just in case,
            though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of Hawaii I daresay
            there won't be too many people left to film it!

            Cheers!

          • John Ogden
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
              The significance of 2012 is much debated, but working from my understanding
              of Mayan cosmology (far from perfect), this is less of a Judeo-Christian
              Total Destruction / Second Coming (we've seen far too many of those dates
              come and go without incident) and more like the Asian (Hindi/Buddhist)
              Cultural Re-Boot when we all wake up and realize what we've been doing wrong
              to ourselves and the world around us. More of a rebirth than an end.
              Incidentally, this is when the Age Aquarius sung about in the musical Hair
              will begin in astronomical terms.

              On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

              > In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
              > ebolton123@... <ebolton123%40comcast.net> writes:
              >
              > ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
              > have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
              > anneversary events too eh???
              >
              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as the world
              > is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the world is
              > destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion is devided
              > on the
              > subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction of the
              > second
              > coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get revised.
              > Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting their
              > calculations
              > over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.
              >
              > For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial just in case,
              > though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of Hawaii I
              > daresay
              > there won't be too many people left to film it!
              >
              > Cheers!

              > fuel-efficient used cars. (
              > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

              John J. Ogden
              Hanley School of Law
              Duquesne University
              Class of 2011

              Madison, June 20, 1785

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
                This has ventured far off topic, however, I will add one more thing and then
                be silent. The end of the world etc, really has nothing to do with Mayan
                Prophets though some people like to think it does. It is really like a
                resetting of a stop watch.
                It is the year that everything goes back to zero. Sort of like a cosmic new
                years day.

                So it isn't a case of the earth being swallowed by the sun, or even everyone
                buying a coke and singing in perfect harmony. Just a case of starting over.
                You do have a choice of "finally getting it" or of "destruction" but the
                choice is yours to make (just as it is every day).

                What it will be, though, is the 199th anniversary of the capture of Ft
                Niagara and my choice will be to remember those that fought there!

                Speaking of Ft Niagara, don't forget that you can fight the battle in REAL
                TIME on the 19th of this month, tour a super fort and possibly meet a real
                person from California (are you coming this year John?) eat donuts, sleep on
                a real battlefield, see the dream pelisse AND the REAL star spangled banner
                (not that 2nd edition in Washington). ;-)

                No I am not a paid employee of the NY State Parks, and Doug doesn't give me
                a $5 kick back every time I say "Come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event"
                (but you should come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event).

                Remember...come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event!!

                Kevin
                89th
              • bolton1812
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8, 2008
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The significance of 2012 is much debated, but working from my
                  understanding
                  > of Mayan cosmology (far from perfect), this is less of a Judeo-
                  Christian
                  > Total Destruction / Second Coming (we've seen far too many of
                  those dates
                  > come and go without incident) and more like the Asian
                  (Hindi/Buddhist)
                  > Cultural Re-Boot when we all wake up and realize what we've been
                  doing wrong
                  > to ourselves and the world around us. More of a rebirth than an
                  end.
                  > Incidentally, this is when the Age Aquarius sung about in the
                  musical Hair
                  > will begin in astronomical terms.

                  ...probably correct, John, however the Mayans did get their demise
                  darn near spot on. I hope it's the re-boot gig as I will be pissed
                  if all my Abolt clothing goes for naught!
                  Cheers,
                  Bob Bolton
                  7th USI

                  > On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  > > ebolton123@... <ebolton123%40comcast.net> writes:
                  > >
                  > > ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
                  > > have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
                  > > anneversary events too eh???
                  > >
                  > > ------------------------------------
                  > >
                  > > Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as
                  the world
                  > > is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the
                  world is
                  > > destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion
                  is devided
                  > > on the
                  > > subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction
                  of the
                  > > second
                  > > coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get
                  revised.
                  > > Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting
                  their
                  > > calculations
                  > > over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.
                  > >
                  > > For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial
                  just in case,
                  > > though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of
                  Hawaii I
                  > > daresay
                  > > there won't be too many people left to film it!
                  > >
                  > > Cheers!
                  > >
                  > > **************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
                  > > fuel-efficient used cars. (
                  > > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

                  > --
                  > John J. Ogden
                  > Hanley School of Law
                  > Duquesne University
                  > Class of 2011
                  >
                  > "Who does not see that the same authority which can establish
                  Christianity
                  > in exclusion of all other religions may establish, with the same
                  ease, any
                  > particular sect of Christians in exclusion of all other sects?" --
                  James
                  > Madison, June 20, 1785

                • John Ogden
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 8, 2008
                    Bob,
                    Myself, I tend to think of either possibility as having a plus-side.
                    If the world (by which I mean people) wakes up and pulls its collective head
                    out of its collective posterior, this is all to the good. We can get over
                    the largely pointless obsession with exterminating each other because we
                    have skin-tones / theological beliefs
                    / economic interests that don't match. Contrarily, if the world as we know
                    it does come to an end, at least I won't have to repay the student loans
                    I've been taking out to pay for law school. This is small consolation
                    compared to the general lack of ability to indulge in our collective
                    obsession, but you have to try to find the good in any situation...

                    John J. Ogden
                    Hanley School of Law
                    Duquesne University
                    Class of 2011