Re: Brave New World for Reenacting in Wool

  • tedyeat
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
      It's already started!!! The next thing you know there will be Polar
      Bears migrating into Toronto!

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>
      wrote:

      > http://www.fortyfirst.org/albums/album51/IMG_6583.jpg
      >
      > Palm trees on Lake Erie from Port Dover, 2007!!!!
      >

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ever thought of Palm trees on the banks of Lakes Erie & Ontario????
      > >
      > > -------

    • J.Bruce Whittaker
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

        > It's already started!!! The next thing you know there will be Polar
        > Bears migrating into Toronto!

        No worries. Toronto's Mayor David Miller will simply ban Polar Bears
        and all will be well. :)
        Regrds,
        Bruce Whittaker
        Georgina, Ontario
      • bolton1812
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

          > Ever thought of Palm trees on the banks of Lakes Erie & Ontario????
          >
          > -------
          > Hot future shock: Heat wave temperatures to soar
          >
          > Jul 2 04:04 PM US/Eastern
          > By SETH BORENSTEIN
          > AP Science Writer
          >
          > WASHINGTON (AP) - During the European heat wave of 2003 that
          killed
          > tens of thousands, the temperature in parts of France hit 104
          > degrees. Nearly 15,000 people died in that country alone. During
          the
          > Chicago heat wave of 1995, the mercury spiked at 106 and about 600
          > people died.
          > In a few decades, people will look back at those heat waves "and
          we
          > will laugh," said Andreas Sterl, author of a new study. "We will
          find
          > (those temperatures) lovely and cool."
          >
          > Sterl's computer model shows that by the end of the century, high
          > temperatures for once-in-a-generation heat waves will rise twice
          as
          > fast as everyday average temperatures. Chicago, for example, would
          > reach 115 degrees in such an event by 2100. Paris heat waves could
          > near 109 with Lyon coming closer to 114.
          >
          > Sterl, who is with the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute,
          > projects temperatures for rare heat waves around the world in a
          study
          > soon to be published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.
          >
          > His numbers are blistering because of the drying-out effect of a
          > warming world. Most global warming research focuses on average
          daily
          > temperatures instead of these extremes, which cause greater
          damage.

          > His study projects a peak of 117 for Los Angeles and 110 for
          Atlanta
          > by 2100; that's 5 degrees higher than the current records for
          those
          > cities. Kansas City faces the prospect of a 116-degree heat wave,
          > with its current all-time high at 109, according to the National
          > Climactic Data Center.
          >
          > A few cities, such as Phoenix, which once hit 122 degrees and is
          > projected to have heat waves of 120, have already reached these
          > extreme temperatures once or twice. But they would be hitting
          those
          > numbers a little more often as the world heats up over time. For
          New
          > York, it would only be a slight jump from the all-time record of
          104
          > at John F. Kennedy Airport to the projected 106.
          >
          > It could be worse. Delhi, India is expected to hit 120 degrees;
          > Belem, Brazil, 121, and Baghdad, 122.
          >
          > Those figures make sense, Ken Kunkel, a top Midwestern climate
          > scientist and interim director of the Illinois Water Survey.
          >
          > These are temperatures that are dangerous, said University of
          > Wisconsin environmental health professor Dr. Jonathan Patz.
          >
          > "Extreme temperature puts a huge demand on the body, especially
          > anyone with heart problems," Patz said. "The elderly are the most
          > vulnerable because they don't sense temperature as well."
          >
          > And it's not just at the end of the century. By 2050, heat waves
          will
          > be 3 to 5 degrees hotter than now "and probably be longer-
          lasting,"
          > Sterl said.
          >
          > By mid-century, southern France's extreme heat waves should be
          around
          > 111 degrees and then near 118 by the end of the century, Sterl's
          > climate models predict. In the 1990s, that region's extreme heat
          wave
          > peaked at 104 degrees; in the 1950s, the worst heat wave peaked
          > around 91 degrees, according to Sterl.

          ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
          have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
          anneversary events too eh???
          Cheers,
          Bob Bolton
          7th USI
          Abolt's Coy.

        • bolton1812
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

            > It's already started!!! The next thing you know there will be
            Polar
            > Bears migrating into Toronto!

            ...FYI, Scientific community has the Polar Bears extinct by 2025...
            I'm just full of usless information ain't I ?
            Cheers again!,
            Bob Bolton
            7th USI
            Abolt's Coy.

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
              In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
              ebolton123@... writes:

              ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
              have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
              anneversary events too eh???

              ------------------------------------

              Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as the world
              is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the world is
              destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion is devided on the
              subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction of the second
              coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get revised.
              Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting their calculations
              over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.

              For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial just in case,
              though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of Hawaii I daresay
              there won't be too many people left to film it!

              Cheers!

            • John Ogden
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
                The significance of 2012 is much debated, but working from my understanding
                of Mayan cosmology (far from perfect), this is less of a Judeo-Christian
                Total Destruction / Second Coming (we've seen far too many of those dates
                come and go without incident) and more like the Asian (Hindi/Buddhist)
                Cultural Re-Boot when we all wake up and realize what we've been doing wrong
                to ourselves and the world around us. More of a rebirth than an end.
                Incidentally, this is when the Age Aquarius sung about in the musical Hair
                will begin in astronomical terms.

                On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

                > In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
                > ebolton123@... <ebolton123%40comcast.net> writes:
                >
                > ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
                > have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
                > anneversary events too eh???
                >
                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as the world
                > is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the world is
                > destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion is devided
                > on the
                > subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction of the
                > second
                > coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get revised.
                > Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting their
                > calculations
                > over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.
                >
                > For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial just in case,
                > though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of Hawaii I
                > daresay
                > there won't be too many people left to film it!
                >
                > Cheers!

                > fuel-efficient used cars. (
                > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

                John J. Ogden
                Hanley School of Law
                Duquesne University
                Class of 2011

                Madison, June 20, 1785

              • Kevin Windsor
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
                  This has ventured far off topic, however, I will add one more thing and then
                  be silent. The end of the world etc, really has nothing to do with Mayan
                  Prophets though some people like to think it does. It is really like a
                  resetting of a stop watch.
                  It is the year that everything goes back to zero. Sort of like a cosmic new
                  years day.

                  So it isn't a case of the earth being swallowed by the sun, or even everyone
                  buying a coke and singing in perfect harmony. Just a case of starting over.
                  You do have a choice of "finally getting it" or of "destruction" but the
                  choice is yours to make (just as it is every day).

                  What it will be, though, is the 199th anniversary of the capture of Ft
                  Niagara and my choice will be to remember those that fought there!

                  Speaking of Ft Niagara, don't forget that you can fight the battle in REAL
                  TIME on the 19th of this month, tour a super fort and possibly meet a real
                  person from California (are you coming this year John?) eat donuts, sleep on
                  a real battlefield, see the dream pelisse AND the REAL star spangled banner
                  (not that 2nd edition in Washington). ;-)

                  No I am not a paid employee of the NY State Parks, and Doug doesn't give me
                  a $5 kick back every time I say "Come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event"
                  (but you should come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event).

                  Remember...come to Ft Niagara for their 1812 event!!

                  Kevin
                  89th
                • bolton1812
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 8, 2008
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...>
                    wrote:

                    > The significance of 2012 is much debated, but working from my
                    understanding
                    > of Mayan cosmology (far from perfect), this is less of a Judeo-
                    Christian
                    > Total Destruction / Second Coming (we've seen far too many of
                    those dates
                    > come and go without incident) and more like the Asian
                    (Hindi/Buddhist)
                    > Cultural Re-Boot when we all wake up and realize what we've been
                    doing wrong
                    > to ourselves and the world around us. More of a rebirth than an
                    end.
                    > Incidentally, this is when the Age Aquarius sung about in the
                    musical Hair
                    > will begin in astronomical terms.

                    ...probably correct, John, however the Mayans did get their demise
                    darn near spot on. I hope it's the re-boot gig as I will be pissed
                    if all my Abolt clothing goes for naught!
                    Cheers,
                    Bob Bolton
                    7th USI

                    > On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:38:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    > > ebolton123@... <ebolton123%40comcast.net> writes:
                    > >
                    > > ...the Mayan's have us all dead by Dec. 21 2012 so maybe we won't
                    > > have to worry about it? Really screws up plans for the 200th
                    > > anneversary events too eh???
                    > >
                    > > ------------------------------------
                    > >
                    > > Well Bob that depends on wether one translates the prediction as
                    the world
                    > > is 'completely changed as the age has come to an end' or 'the
                    world is
                    > > destroyed and everything has come to an end', scientific opinion
                    is devided
                    > > on the
                    > > subject. I rather suspect that like the evangelicals prediction
                    of the
                    > > second
                    > > coming that when the day comes and goes the prediction will get
                    revised.
                    > > Though that said the Maya have not been revising and correcting
                    their
                    > > calculations
                    > > over the last 200 years as dates pass without incident.
                    > >
                    > > For myself I think I will keep preparing for the bicentenial
                    just in case,
                    > > though of course if space ships appear over the volcanoes of
                    Hawaii I
                    > > daresay
                    > > there won't be too many people left to film it!
                    > >
                    > > Cheers!
                    > >
                    > > **************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
                    > > fuel-efficient used cars. (
                    > > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

                    > --
                    > John J. Ogden
                    > Hanley School of Law
                    > Duquesne University
                    > Class of 2011
                    >
                    > "Who does not see that the same authority which can establish
                    Christianity
                    > in exclusion of all other religions may establish, with the same
                    ease, any
                    > particular sect of Christians in exclusion of all other sects?" --
                    James
                    > Madison, June 20, 1785

                  • John Ogden
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 8, 2008
                      Bob,
                      Myself, I tend to think of either possibility as having a plus-side.
                      If the world (by which I mean people) wakes up and pulls its collective head
                      out of its collective posterior, this is all to the good. We can get over
                      the largely pointless obsession with exterminating each other because we
                      have skin-tones / theological beliefs
                      / economic interests that don't match. Contrarily, if the world as we know
                      it does come to an end, at least I won't have to repay the student loans
                      I've been taking out to pay for law school. This is small consolation
                      compared to the general lack of ability to indulge in our collective
                      obsession, but you have to try to find the good in any situation...

                      John J. Ogden
                      Hanley School of Law
                      Duquesne University
                      Class of 2011