Re: 1812 Waterloo reenactment

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2008
      There are a lot of photos from the Waterloo weekend, and I expect
      there will be more over the coming days as the major players get their
      shots sorted out. Phil Thomasson said he took over 2000 pictures.

      There were said to be about 1200 troops, equally split between the
      Imperials and the Allies, the Allies had 15 or so pieces and about 15
      cavalry. I don't know how many pieces the Imperials had but they had
      up to 50 cavalry.

      There were two battle scenarios, neither were accurate attempts to re-
      enact, but on Saturday there was a Battle between Le Caillou and the
      village of Plancenoit which ended on the green outside the Church. On
      Sunday morning since the Farm of Hougoumont is under going a major
      restoration we had a two hour blat in the cornfields between H and the
      Lion mound, roughly along the line of Wellington's right flank
      defenses. The weather was good the crowds substantial and the noise
      level high! The result? Guess!

      On Saturday a Remembrance service was held at the farm gate of
      Hougoumont for all involved in the Campaign of 1815 by Rev. Stephen
      Fletcher, Chaplain to the King's Brigade and he drew on period prayers
      and service formats.

      the Pensioner