Port Dover Weekend

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2008
      Good afternoon list!

      It was great seeing many of you at Stoney Creek over the weekend.

      Next up for the 41st Regiment will be Port Dover (Ontario) in approx.
      2 weeks. In speaking with a number of you, there seems to be some
      interest as folks indicated that they will be going for at least a
      portion of the weekend.

      I was in communication with Ian Bell at the Marine Museum in Port
      Dover (the event host) and he told me that there have not been many
      registrations. If you are planning to do so, please communicate to
      Ian so that adequate arrangements can be made to accomodate you.

      Email me off list and I can give you his email address and a
      registration form (Bob Blakely has been having problems with his
      Hotmail account and may not have gotten your information) .

      If you have any questions about the event or weekend, we went last
      year and I would be more than happy to help you with them. It is
      smallish with a real focus on the naval elements but we have room to
      play this year in the Kinsmen Park to give an opposed line tactical
      demonstration. The community itself is a whole lot of fun and we had
      a wonderful time there last year.

      I have added a tentative schedule following my signature.

      Your most humble and obedient Servant,

      Tom Fournier, Captain
      41st Regiment of Foot

      TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
      Dover Naval and Military Encampment
      June 19 to 23, 2008

      Thursday, Noon-
      Camps open, ALL re-enactors must register at the Port Dover Harbour
      Museum before setting up. (See map).

      Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.-

      Education Day. All groups are encouraged to participate. Please let
      Ian Bell know if you can take part or provide volunteers at the
      museum.
      Registration. Continues all day and as late as possible.
      8 p.m. Concert featuring Gopher Baroque, The Brig, Norfolk Tavern,
      Main Street , Port Dover, an easy walk.

      Saturday,
      10 a.m. Registration Continues. Officer's call. Registration Tent,
      Museum. All units planning on participating in the battles must
      attend.
      2 p.m.- Battle . Kinsmen Park .
      3 p.m.-Ladies Tea hosted by Theresa Nichol, wife of Quartermaster
      General of Militia, Col. Robert Nichol, registration tent. All ladies
      are requested to bring their own drinking vessels and chairs.
      FREE Lake Erie perch dinner Saturday night for re-enactors
      7 p.m.-Officers Call. Registration Tent, Museum.
      8:30 p.m.- Main Beach battle.

      Sunday
      10 a.m. : Officer's Call. Registration Tent.
      2 p.m.- Battle (Tentative, on call for arrival of vintage sailing
      craft for proper salute as they enter harbour).
      4 p.m.-Camps officially close. We request re-enactors not start
      packing up until this time. NO VEHICLES ON SITE BEFORE 4 P.M.

      Throughout the weekend there will be free concerts, and the ever
      popular beer tent, and much more around the museum.
    • Rob and Stephanie Friar
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2008
        Hello, All,

        Just another quick reminder of the Battle of Hampton reenactment down here
        in Virginia at reenactor-friendly Endview Plantation in Newport News. See
        web site at http://www.endview.org <http://www.endview.org/>

        Though the registration date is past, just wanted all to know all are still
        welcome, and we encourage those units who were thinking of coming, but had
        past the deadline, to still consider coming on down. This is a one day
        event, Sat. June 14, but camping is allowed both Friday and Saturday
        evenings for those wishing to stay over. And Sunday would afford you the
        chance to visit the historic triangle (Jamestown, Williamsburg, and
        Yorktown) as well as the water park and Busch Gardens amusement park nearby.

        We will be conducting a Tactical Weapons demonstration in the A.M. utilizing
        the awesome open fields, woods, and recreated redoubt on the grounds, and
        the battle of Hampton in the afternoon, so it promises to be a
        powder-burner. In addition, a reenactor diner will be provided after the
        public hours.

        So, please give this event consideration, even if only a few members of your
        unit, U.S. or British, can come. Feel free to contact me at
        vastatenavy@... for more details.

        Hope to hear from some units, and hope to see you there.:>)

        Rob Friar

        Fort Norfolk Garrison, 1812-1815