Re: 1812 bombardment or battle - is there a difference?

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2008
      In a message dated 6/9/2008 1:57:45 AM Central Daylight Time,
      usmarine1814@... writes:

      If the Americans just sat their and took the
      hammering (which the fort did for 90% of the time)I would call that
      a siege or bombardment but they did fire back. Is that then a "re-
      bombardment?b

      Hmmmmm bit of faulty reasoning there Colin, it is fairly well accepted that
      if one is under siege one can fire back and that doesn't change what is going
      on, nor what it is called. Not of course that this was a siege but a
      bombardment, but in like manner it is fairly well accepted that the attacked fort
      can fire back without the afair being transformed into a battle.

      If you think about it if the fort firing back were the deciding factor there
      would be no sieges or bombardments inhistory, I mean if they are not going
      to fire at you why are you firing at them? just walk in an occupy the place!

      Is "small arms" fire the qualifier?

      Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm don't think so. Most battles have artillery pieces
      involved, in the case of New Orleans the largest gun on the field was a US 32
      pounder! And in many sieges of the period the defenders used rampart guns
      which (I think) qualify as small arms.

      Hey, this IS fun.

      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.