RE: 1812 Fw: SEN. CARDIN, TEAM MD TO CELEBRATE NEW STAR-SPANGLED TRAIL AT FT....

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
      But just think Ed, if the British hadn't bombed the Fort, and been a group
      that likes to sing really loud drinking songs you wouldn't have a cool
      national anthem to sing at sporting events!

      So this year at defenders day, please don't boo the Brits. . . thank them.

      KW/89

      (tongue firmly planted in cheek!!)

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Ed Seufert

      A desultory bombardment overseen by a lackadaisical commander does
      not a battle make. If you want to equate it as such, then yes, it
      was a fireworks show to draw attention away from the main assault at
      Hampstead Hill.

    • Colin
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
        Kevin and Ed,
        Just trying to help here and put more perspectives in play

        In one case, making "sport" of our national anthem may offend. (are
        you a Montral Canadians Fan or something?)

        In the other case,though I personally have not had the utmost
        displeasure to endure a 25 hour, or even a singular second of
        a "desultory bombardment," I have talked to many veterans who have
        endured from one, to hundreds of incoming rounds (never mind 2,000+)
        and so far those that have continued in the conversation seem to
        have got across to me that they recolect and consider those moments
        as moments of battle. And I dare say the two gentlemen killed at
        Ft. McHenry, their families, friends etc. etc. would consider
        the "event" a battle.

        BtW Letters I have read seem to sugest Colonel Brooke was expecting
        more than a diversion (not confusing the bombardment of the fort
        with the barge "attack" with BLANK rounds up the Ferry Branch)...One
        example shows that he was expecting the Navy to get past Ft.
        McHenry, Ft. Covington and the other emplacements to provide "a
        naval co-operation against the town and camp" but because "the
        entrance of the harbour being closed up by vessels sunk for that
        purpose" any attack upon the city was "impracticable". (Brooke to
        Bathurst 9-17-1814)I know...he is giving credit to the sunken hulks,
        but would those hulks be of any hinderance, except in the aspect of
        time, were it not for the forts and emplacements and the Americans
        manning them?

        Also, If the Royal Navy did not have the ability to continue past
        the defences or just that the R.N. commander decided he had better
        things to do, I would guess it may have had something to do with the
        defences the city had and their inability to breach them. As I am
        sure, fresh off the spledid sacking of Washington, many aboard the
        fleet would have loved to drop anchor in Baltimore harbor and load
        on the cartloads of booty that a large seaport would provided in
        contrast to that of the third rate Federal "town" whose proximity to
        the fleet, the nature of the expedition and the pure lack of actual
        plunder had provided just a short time before. Thus credit is due
        and not a dismissal of the operation as some misguided outing of a
        half hearted naval commander.

        Again,just trying to add some balance to the rampant Anglophilia
        that often arises and (noticably I hope) provide an
        amicable "stiring of the pot" :)

        Y most H and OS

        Colin Murphy
        USS CON 1812 MG
        USMCHC
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
        <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

        > But just think Ed, if the British hadn't bombed the Fort, and been
        a group
        > that likes to sing really loud drinking songs you wouldn't have a
        cool
        > national anthem to sing at sporting events!
        >
        > So this year at defenders day, please don't boo the Brits. . .
        thank them.

        > KW/89
        >
        > (tongue firmly planted in cheek!!)
        >

        > _____