RE: 1812 Fw: SEN. CARDIN, TEAM MD TO CELEBRATE NEW STAR-SPANGLED TRAIL AT FT....

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
      I figured you would be in the choir Ed, and I am sure glad you are there
      educating people on the "rest of the story".

      My only disappointment is that "there" is too far from "here"!

      KW

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Ed Seufert

      Kevin,

      I feel your pain.....

      ...and no battles were fought at McHenry!

      Cheers,

      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
        But just think Ed, if the British hadn't bombed the Fort, and been a group
        that likes to sing really loud drinking songs you wouldn't have a cool
        national anthem to sing at sporting events!

        So this year at defenders day, please don't boo the Brits. . . thank them.

        KW/89

        (tongue firmly planted in cheek!!)

        _____

        From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        Of Ed Seufert

        A desultory bombardment overseen by a lackadaisical commander does
        not a battle make. If you want to equate it as such, then yes, it
        was a fireworks show to draw attention away from the main assault at
        Hampstead Hill.

      • Colin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
          Kevin and Ed,
          Just trying to help here and put more perspectives in play

          In one case, making "sport" of our national anthem may offend. (are
          you a Montral Canadians Fan or something?)

          In the other case,though I personally have not had the utmost
          displeasure to endure a 25 hour, or even a singular second of
          a "desultory bombardment," I have talked to many veterans who have
          endured from one, to hundreds of incoming rounds (never mind 2,000+)
          and so far those that have continued in the conversation seem to
          have got across to me that they recolect and consider those moments
          as moments of battle. And I dare say the two gentlemen killed at
          Ft. McHenry, their families, friends etc. etc. would consider
          the "event" a battle.

          BtW Letters I have read seem to sugest Colonel Brooke was expecting
          more than a diversion (not confusing the bombardment of the fort
          with the barge "attack" with BLANK rounds up the Ferry Branch)...One
          example shows that he was expecting the Navy to get past Ft.
          McHenry, Ft. Covington and the other emplacements to provide "a
          naval co-operation against the town and camp" but because "the
          entrance of the harbour being closed up by vessels sunk for that
          purpose" any attack upon the city was "impracticable". (Brooke to
          Bathurst 9-17-1814)I know...he is giving credit to the sunken hulks,
          but would those hulks be of any hinderance, except in the aspect of
          time, were it not for the forts and emplacements and the Americans
          manning them?

          Also, If the Royal Navy did not have the ability to continue past
          the defences or just that the R.N. commander decided he had better
          things to do, I would guess it may have had something to do with the
          defences the city had and their inability to breach them. As I am
          sure, fresh off the spledid sacking of Washington, many aboard the
          fleet would have loved to drop anchor in Baltimore harbor and load
          on the cartloads of booty that a large seaport would provided in
          contrast to that of the third rate Federal "town" whose proximity to
          the fleet, the nature of the expedition and the pure lack of actual
          plunder had provided just a short time before. Thus credit is due
          and not a dismissal of the operation as some misguided outing of a
          half hearted naval commander.

          Again,just trying to add some balance to the rampant Anglophilia
          that often arises and (noticably I hope) provide an
          amicable "stiring of the pot" :)

          Y most H and OS

          Colin Murphy
          USS CON 1812 MG
          USMCHC
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
          <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

          > But just think Ed, if the British hadn't bombed the Fort, and been
          a group
          > that likes to sing really loud drinking songs you wouldn't have a
          cool
          > national anthem to sing at sporting events!
          >
          > So this year at defenders day, please don't boo the Brits. . .
          thank them.

          > KW/89
          >
          > (tongue firmly planted in cheek!!)
          >

          > _____