RE: 1812 Fw: SEN. CARDIN, TEAM MD TO CELEBRATE NEW STAR-SPANGLED TRAIL AT FT....

  • Vince Wilding
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
      So the events of September 13-14 1814 were a fireworks show? Martin O'Malley's FIRST defenders day? Nah, even Alan Walden isn't THAT old!

      --
      Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
      Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Vince Wilding <vince@...> wrote:
        A desultory bombardment overseen by a lackadaisical commander does
        not a battle make. If you want to equate it as such, then yes, it
        was a fireworks show to draw attention away from the main assault at
        Hampstead Hill.

        And remember, Defenders Day is celebrated on Sept 12!

        Cheers,

        Ed Seufert, Cpl
        1812 Royal Marines

        > So the events of September 13-14 1814 were a fireworks show?
        Martin O'Malley's FIRST defenders day? Nah, even Alan Walden isn't
        THAT old!

        > --
        > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
        > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
        > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
        > As you meander thru life, remember, The joy is in the journey

        Links

      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
          I figured you would be in the choir Ed, and I am sure glad you are there
          educating people on the "rest of the story".

          My only disappointment is that "there" is too far from "here"!

          KW

          _____

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
            But just think Ed, if the British hadn't bombed the Fort, and been a group
            that likes to sing really loud drinking songs you wouldn't have a cool
            national anthem to sing at sporting events!

            So this year at defenders day, please don't boo the Brits. . . thank them.

            KW/89

            (tongue firmly planted in cheek!!)

            _____

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
              Kevin and Ed,
              Just trying to help here and put more perspectives in play

              In one case, making "sport" of our national anthem may offend. (are
              you a Montral Canadians Fan or something?)

              In the other case,though I personally have not had the utmost
              displeasure to endure a 25 hour, or even a singular second of
              a "desultory bombardment," I have talked to many veterans who have
              endured from one, to hundreds of incoming rounds (never mind 2,000+)
              and so far those that have continued in the conversation seem to
              have got across to me that they recolect and consider those moments
              as moments of battle. And I dare say the two gentlemen killed at
              Ft. McHenry, their families, friends etc. etc. would consider
              the "event" a battle.

              BtW Letters I have read seem to sugest Colonel Brooke was expecting
              more than a diversion (not confusing the bombardment of the fort
              with the barge "attack" with BLANK rounds up the Ferry Branch)...One
              example shows that he was expecting the Navy to get past Ft.
              McHenry, Ft. Covington and the other emplacements to provide "a
              naval co-operation against the town and camp" but because "the
              entrance of the harbour being closed up by vessels sunk for that
              purpose" any attack upon the city was "impracticable". (Brooke to
              Bathurst 9-17-1814)I know...he is giving credit to the sunken hulks,
              but would those hulks be of any hinderance, except in the aspect of
              time, were it not for the forts and emplacements and the Americans
              manning them?

              Also, If the Royal Navy did not have the ability to continue past
              the defences or just that the R.N. commander decided he had better
              things to do, I would guess it may have had something to do with the
              defences the city had and their inability to breach them. As I am
              sure, fresh off the spledid sacking of Washington, many aboard the
              fleet would have loved to drop anchor in Baltimore harbor and load
              on the cartloads of booty that a large seaport would provided in
              contrast to that of the third rate Federal "town" whose proximity to
              the fleet, the nature of the expedition and the pure lack of actual
              plunder had provided just a short time before. Thus credit is due
              and not a dismissal of the operation as some misguided outing of a
              half hearted naval commander.

              Again,just trying to add some balance to the rampant Anglophilia
              that often arises and (noticably I hope) provide an
              amicable "stiring of the pot" :)

              Y most H and OS

              Colin Murphy
              USS CON 1812 MG