Re: 1812 Fw: SEN. CARDIN, TEAM MD TO CELEBRATE NEW STAR-SPANGLED TRAIL AT FT....

  • annbwass@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
      The Commission is different from the Trail legislation, but glad to see it going forward again.? It has failed to advance very far in previous sessions.? But has it passed or will it?pass the Senate?

      Ann Wass

      On May 19, the House passed H.R. 2894, an act "To require the Secretary of
      the Treasury to mint coins in commemoration of the bicentennial of the
      writing of the "Star Spangled Banner" and the War of 1812." and each
      bicentennial coin would have a $10 surcharge with proceeds going to the
      Maryland War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission and 300,000 coins will be
      minted.

      On May 19, the House passed H.R. 2894, an act "To require the Secretary of
      the Treasury to mint coins in commemoration of the bicentennial of the
      writing of the "Star Spangled Banner" and the War of 1812." and each
      bicentennial coin would have a $10 surcharge with proceeds going to the
      Maryland War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission and 300,000 coins will be
      minted.

      Also if you look at the make up of the US Bicentennial Commission you get 1
      State Rep from NY

      "11 members shall be qualified citizens appointed by the Secretary after
      consideration of nominations submitted by the Governors of Alabama,
      Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, New York, Ohio,
      Vermont, and Virginia;"

      But there is 3 so far from MD or area.

      "3 members shall be qualified citizens appointed by the Secretary after
      consideration of nominations submitted by the Mayors of the District of
      Columbia, the City of Baltimore, and the City of New Orleans;" (not
      including the city of NO as part of MD, but MD gets a state rep submitted by
      the Gov. as above)

      The minority and majority leaders of the Senate and House are also on the
      committee. There will be a rep then from Nevada, Kentucky, Ohio and one
      more from Maryland.

      So, the make up of the committee as a whole is clearly weighted to the
      battles of North Point (possibly) McHenry and New Orleans and thus funding
      (when it happens) will go there.

      That is a real shame! Did the US Army, US Navy, and Marines not fight up
      here too? Sure did! Did they do as well? Perhaps, perhaps not. . . (that
      is another debate) but they still fought with pride and still fought
      honourably for their country. Those soldiers and seamen deserve a fitting
      commemoration as well. I think the US needs to remember that not all of the
      US soldiers fought at McHenry and New Orleans. By 1814 a good deal of them
      we scattered all over Ohio, New York, Michigan, and Upper Canada lying in
      unmarked graves.

      Kevin

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of annbwass@...

      When last I reviewed it, the bill for the U.S. trail didn't include any
      MONEY, just the trail designation. So far, all the MONEY being talked about
      will
      come from Maryland sources. So, you need to get the New York folks to
      decide it is important, and get them to poney up!

      Ann Wass

    • HAROLD DENNISON
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
        Mr Windsor,

        With all due respect Sir, it would cost the US too much money to celebrate/commemorate anything other than Baltimore and New Orleans. They would have to pass an education bill and then spend billions to teach everyone that something other than these two "successes" took place during the war.
        I'm not suggesting this slight is exclusive to the US. As with most things in life, we tend to focus on the positive and forget the negative. It's seldom really about the "soldier" but rather national pride.
        I know, outside voice.

        Hal

        Well actually. . .

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
          Kevin,

          I feel your pain.....

          ...and no battles were fought at McHenry!

          Cheers,

          Ed Seufert, Cpl
          1812 Royal Marines

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
          <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

          > Well actually. . .
          >

          > On May 19, the House passed H.R. 2894, an act "To require the
          Secretary of
          > the Treasury to mint coins in commemoration of the bicentennial of
          the
          > writing of the "Star Spangled Banner" and the War of 1812." and
          each
          > bicentennial coin would have a $10 surcharge with proceeds going
          to the
          > Maryland War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission and 300,000 coins
          will be
          > minted.
          >

          > Also if you look at the make up of the US Bicentennial Commission
          you get 1
          > State Rep from NY
          >

          > "11 members shall be qualified citizens appointed by the Secretary
          after
          > consideration of nominations submitted by the Governors of Alabama,
          > Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, New York,
          Ohio,
          > Vermont, and Virginia;"
          >

          > But there is 3 so far from MD or area.
          >

          > "3 members shall be qualified citizens appointed by the Secretary
          after
          > consideration of nominations submitted by the Mayors of the
          District of
          > Columbia, the City of Baltimore, and the City of New Orleans;"
          (not
          > including the city of NO as part of MD, but MD gets a state rep
          submitted by
          > the Gov. as above)
          >

          > The minority and majority leaders of the Senate and House are also
          on the
          > committee. There will be a rep then from Nevada, Kentucky, Ohio
          and one
          > more from Maryland.
          >

          > So, the make up of the committee as a whole is clearly weighted to
          the
          > battles of North Point (possibly) McHenry and New Orleans and thus
          funding
          > (when it happens) will go there.
          >

          > That is a real shame! Did the US Army, US Navy, and Marines not
          fight up
          > here too? Sure did! Did they do as well? Perhaps, perhaps
          not. . . (that
          > is another debate) but they still fought with pride and still
          fought
          > honourably for their country. Those soldiers and seamen deserve a
          fitting
          > commemoration as well. I think the US needs to remember that not
          all of the
          > US soldiers fought at McHenry and New Orleans. By 1814 a good
          deal of them
          > we scattered all over Ohio, New York, Michigan, and Upper Canada
          lying in
          > unmarked graves.
          >

          > Kevin
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
          On Behalf
          > Of annbwass@...
          >

          > When last I reviewed it, the bill for the U.S. trail didn't
          include any
          > MONEY, just the trail designation. So far, all the MONEY being
          talked about
          > will
          > come from Maryland sources. So, you need to get the New York folks
          > decide it is important, and get them to poney up!
          >
          > Ann Wass

        • Vince Wilding
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
            So the events of September 13-14 1814 were a fireworks show? Martin O'Malley's FIRST defenders day? Nah, even Alan Walden isn't THAT old!

            --
            Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
            Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com

            <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

> [...]
            all of the
            > US soldiers fought at McHenry and New Orleans. By 1814 a good
            deal of them
            > we scattered all over Ohio, New York, Michigan, and Upper Canada
            lying in
            > unmarked graves.
            >

            > Kevin
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
            On Behalf
            > Of annbwass@...
            >

            > When last I reviewed it, the bill for the U.S. trail didn't
            include any
            > MONEY, just the trail designation. So far, all the MONEY being
            talked about
            > will
            > come from Maryland sources. So, you need to get the New York folks
            > decide it is important, and get them to poney up!

            ------------------------------------

            War of 1812 Living History:
            A wide-ranging information exchange
            for all participants and supporters

            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            American Forces Unit Listing
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
          • Ed Seufert
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Vince Wilding <vince@...> wrote:
              A desultory bombardment overseen by a lackadaisical commander does
              not a battle make. If you want to equate it as such, then yes, it
              was a fireworks show to draw attention away from the main assault at
              Hampstead Hill.

              And remember, Defenders Day is celebrated on Sept 12!

              Cheers,

              Ed Seufert, Cpl
              1812 Royal Marines

              > So the events of September 13-14 1814 were a fireworks show?
              Martin O'Malley's FIRST defenders day? Nah, even Alan Walden isn't
              THAT old!

              > --
              > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
              > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
              > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
              > As you meander thru life, remember, The joy is in the journey

              Links

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                I figured you would be in the choir Ed, and I am sure glad you are there
                educating people on the "rest of the story".

                My only disappointment is that "there" is too far from "here"!

                KW

                _____

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                  But just think Ed, if the British hadn't bombed the Fort, and been a group
                  that likes to sing really loud drinking songs you wouldn't have a cool
                  national anthem to sing at sporting events!

                  So this year at defenders day, please don't boo the Brits. . . thank them.

                  KW/89

                  (tongue firmly planted in cheek!!)

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Kevin and Ed,
                    Just trying to help here and put more perspectives in play

                    In one case, making "sport" of our national anthem may offend. (are
                    you a Montral Canadians Fan or something?)

                    In the other case,though I personally have not had the utmost
                    displeasure to endure a 25 hour, or even a singular second of
                    a "desultory bombardment," I have talked to many veterans who have
                    endured from one, to hundreds of incoming rounds (never mind 2,000+)
                    and so far those that have continued in the conversation seem to
                    have got across to me that they recolect and consider those moments
                    as moments of battle. And I dare say the two gentlemen killed at
                    Ft. McHenry, their families, friends etc. etc. would consider
                    the "event" a battle.

                    BtW Letters I have read seem to sugest Colonel Brooke was expecting
                    more than a diversion (not confusing the bombardment of the fort
                    with the barge "attack" with BLANK rounds up the Ferry Branch)...One
                    example shows that he was expecting the Navy to get past Ft.
                    McHenry, Ft. Covington and the other emplacements to provide "a
                    naval co-operation against the town and camp" but because "the
                    entrance of the harbour being closed up by vessels sunk for that
                    purpose" any attack upon the city was "impracticable". (Brooke to
                    Bathurst 9-17-1814)I know...he is giving credit to the sunken hulks,
                    but would those hulks be of any hinderance, except in the aspect of
                    time, were it not for the forts and emplacements and the Americans
                    manning them?

                    Also, If the Royal Navy did not have the ability to continue past
                    the defences or just that the R.N. commander decided he had better
                    things to do, I would guess it may have had something to do with the
                    defences the city had and their inability to breach them. As I am
                    sure, fresh off the spledid sacking of Washington, many aboard the
                    fleet would have loved to drop anchor in Baltimore harbor and load
                    on the cartloads of booty that a large seaport would provided in
                    contrast to that of the third rate Federal "town" whose proximity to
                    the fleet, the nature of the expedition and the pure lack of actual
                    plunder had provided just a short time before. Thus credit is due
                    and not a dismissal of the operation as some misguided outing of a
                    half hearted naval commander.

                    Again,just trying to add some balance to the rampant Anglophilia
                    that often arises and (noticably I hope) provide an
                    amicable "stiring of the pot" :)

                    Y most H and OS

                    Colin Murphy
                    USS CON 1812 MG