Re: 1812 Fw: SEN. CARDIN, TEAM MD TO CELEBRATE NEW STAR-SPANGLED TRAIL AT FT....

  • annbwass@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2008
      In a message dated 6/5/2008 6:50:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      kevin.windsor@... writes:

      Anyway in all honesty, I think it is great!! However, I do hear a rather
      large sucking sounds as ALL of the bicentennial $$ is going to go to McHenry
      and not NY where all of the really hard fighting was for 2 years before the
      "Star Spangled Victory"

      When last I reviewed it, the bill for the U.S. trail didn't include any
      MONEY, just the trail designation. So far, all the MONEY being talked about will
      come from Maryland sources. So, you need to get the New York folks to
      decide it is important, and get them to poney up!

      Ann Wass

      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
        Well actually. . .

        On May 19, the House passed H.R. 2894, an act "To require the Secretary of
        the Treasury to mint coins in commemoration of the bicentennial of the
        writing of the "Star Spangled Banner" and the War of 1812." and each
        bicentennial coin would have a $10 surcharge with proceeds going to the
        Maryland War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission and 300,000 coins will be
        minted.

        Also if you look at the make up of the US Bicentennial Commission you get 1
        State Rep from NY

        "11 members shall be qualified citizens appointed by the Secretary after
        consideration of nominations submitted by the Governors of Alabama,
        Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, New York, Ohio,
        Vermont, and Virginia;"

        But there is 3 so far from MD or area.

        "3 members shall be qualified citizens appointed by the Secretary after
        consideration of nominations submitted by the Mayors of the District of
        Columbia, the City of Baltimore, and the City of New Orleans;" (not
        including the city of NO as part of MD, but MD gets a state rep submitted by
        the Gov. as above)

        The minority and majority leaders of the Senate and House are also on the
        committee. There will be a rep then from Nevada, Kentucky, Ohio and one
        more from Maryland.

        So, the make up of the committee as a whole is clearly weighted to the
        battles of North Point (possibly) McHenry and New Orleans and thus funding
        (when it happens) will go there.

        That is a real shame! Did the US Army, US Navy, and Marines not fight up
        here too? Sure did! Did they do as well? Perhaps, perhaps not. . . (that
        is another debate) but they still fought with pride and still fought
        honourably for their country. Those soldiers and seamen deserve a fitting
        commemoration as well. I think the US needs to remember that not all of the
        US soldiers fought at McHenry and New Orleans. By 1814 a good deal of them
        we scattered all over Ohio, New York, Michigan, and Upper Canada lying in
        unmarked graves.

        Kevin

        _____

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
            Mr Windsor,

            With all due respect Sir, it would cost the US too much money to celebrate/commemorate anything other than Baltimore and New Orleans. They would have to pass an education bill and then spend billions to teach everyone that something other than these two "successes" took place during the war.
            I'm not suggesting this slight is exclusive to the US. As with most things in life, we tend to focus on the positive and forget the negative. It's seldom really about the "soldier" but rather national pride.
            I know, outside voice.

            Hal

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
              Kevin,

              I feel your pain.....

              ...and no battles were fought at McHenry!

              Cheers,

              Ed Seufert, Cpl
              1812 Royal Marines

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
              <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

              > Well actually. . .
              >

              > On May 19, the House passed H.R. 2894, an act "To require the
              Secretary of
              > the Treasury to mint coins in commemoration of the bicentennial of
              the
              > writing of the "Star Spangled Banner" and the War of 1812." and
              each
              > bicentennial coin would have a $10 surcharge with proceeds going
              to the
              > Maryland War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission and 300,000 coins
              will be
              > minted.
              >

              > Also if you look at the make up of the US Bicentennial Commission
              you get 1
              > State Rep from NY
              >

              > "11 members shall be qualified citizens appointed by the Secretary
              after
              > consideration of nominations submitted by the Governors of Alabama,
              > Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, New York,
              Ohio,
              > Vermont, and Virginia;"
              >

              > But there is 3 so far from MD or area.
              >

              > "3 members shall be qualified citizens appointed by the Secretary
              after
              > consideration of nominations submitted by the Mayors of the
              District of
              > Columbia, the City of Baltimore, and the City of New Orleans;"
              (not
              > including the city of NO as part of MD, but MD gets a state rep
              submitted by
              > the Gov. as above)
              >

              > The minority and majority leaders of the Senate and House are also
              on the
              > committee. There will be a rep then from Nevada, Kentucky, Ohio
              and one
              > more from Maryland.
              >

              > So, the make up of the committee as a whole is clearly weighted to
              the
              > battles of North Point (possibly) McHenry and New Orleans and thus
              funding
              > (when it happens) will go there.
              >

              > That is a real shame! Did the US Army, US Navy, and Marines not
              fight up
              > here too? Sure did! Did they do as well? Perhaps, perhaps
              not. . . (that
              > is another debate) but they still fought with pride and still
              fought
              > honourably for their country. Those soldiers and seamen deserve a
              fitting
              > commemoration as well. I think the US needs to remember that not
              all of the
              > US soldiers fought at McHenry and New Orleans. By 1814 a good
              deal of them
              > we scattered all over Ohio, New York, Michigan, and Upper Canada
              lying in
              > unmarked graves.
              >

              > Kevin
              >

              > _____
              >
              > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
              On Behalf
              > Of annbwass@...
              >

              > When last I reviewed it, the bill for the U.S. trail didn't
              include any
              > MONEY, just the trail designation. So far, all the MONEY being
              talked about
              > will
              > come from Maryland sources. So, you need to get the New York folks
              > decide it is important, and get them to poney up!
              >
              > Ann Wass

            • Vince Wilding
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                So the events of September 13-14 1814 were a fireworks show? Martin O'Malley's FIRST defenders day? Nah, even Alan Walden isn't THAT old!

                --
                Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com

                <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

> [...]
                all of the
                > US soldiers fought at McHenry and New Orleans. By 1814 a good
                deal of them
                > we scattered all over Ohio, New York, Michigan, and Upper Canada
                lying in
                > unmarked graves.
                >

                > Kevin
                >

                > _____
                >
                > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
                On Behalf
                > Of annbwass@...
                >

                > When last I reviewed it, the bill for the U.S. trail didn't
                include any
                > MONEY, just the trail designation. So far, all the MONEY being
                talked about
                > will
                > come from Maryland sources. So, you need to get the New York folks
                > decide it is important, and get them to poney up!

                ------------------------------------

                War of 1812 Living History:
                A wide-ranging information exchange
                for all participants and supporters

                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                American Forces Unit Listing
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
              • Ed Seufert
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Vince Wilding <vince@...> wrote:
                  A desultory bombardment overseen by a lackadaisical commander does
                  not a battle make. If you want to equate it as such, then yes, it
                  was a fireworks show to draw attention away from the main assault at
                  Hampstead Hill.

                  And remember, Defenders Day is celebrated on Sept 12!

                  Cheers,

                  Ed Seufert, Cpl
                  1812 Royal Marines

                  > So the events of September 13-14 1814 were a fireworks show?
                  Martin O'Malley's FIRST defenders day? Nah, even Alan Walden isn't
                  THAT old!

                  > --
                  > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                  > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
                  > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
                  > As you meander thru life, remember, The joy is in the journey

                  Links

                • Kevin Windsor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                    I figured you would be in the choir Ed, and I am sure glad you are there
                    educating people on the "rest of the story".

                    My only disappointment is that "there" is too far from "here"!

                    KW

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                      But just think Ed, if the British hadn't bombed the Fort, and been a group
                      that likes to sing really loud drinking songs you wouldn't have a cool
                      national anthem to sing at sporting events!

                      So this year at defenders day, please don't boo the Brits. . . thank them.

                      KW/89

                      (tongue firmly planted in cheek!!)

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                        Kevin and Ed,
                        Just trying to help here and put more perspectives in play

                        In one case, making "sport" of our national anthem may offend. (are
                        you a Montral Canadians Fan or something?)

                        In the other case,though I personally have not had the utmost
                        displeasure to endure a 25 hour, or even a singular second of
                        a "desultory bombardment," I have talked to many veterans who have
                        endured from one, to hundreds of incoming rounds (never mind 2,000+)
                        and so far those that have continued in the conversation seem to
                        have got across to me that they recolect and consider those moments
                        as moments of battle. And I dare say the two gentlemen killed at
                        Ft. McHenry, their families, friends etc. etc. would consider
                        the "event" a battle.

                        BtW Letters I have read seem to sugest Colonel Brooke was expecting
                        more than a diversion (not confusing the bombardment of the fort
                        with the barge "attack" with BLANK rounds up the Ferry Branch)...One
                        example shows that he was expecting the Navy to get past Ft.
                        McHenry, Ft. Covington and the other emplacements to provide "a
                        naval co-operation against the town and camp" but because "the
                        entrance of the harbour being closed up by vessels sunk for that
                        purpose" any attack upon the city was "impracticable". (Brooke to
                        Bathurst 9-17-1814)I know...he is giving credit to the sunken hulks,
                        but would those hulks be of any hinderance, except in the aspect of
                        time, were it not for the forts and emplacements and the Americans
                        manning them?

                        Also, If the Royal Navy did not have the ability to continue past
                        the defences or just that the R.N. commander decided he had better
                        things to do, I would guess it may have had something to do with the
                        defences the city had and their inability to breach them. As I am
                        sure, fresh off the spledid sacking of Washington, many aboard the
                        fleet would have loved to drop anchor in Baltimore harbor and load
                        on the cartloads of booty that a large seaport would provided in
                        contrast to that of the third rate Federal "town" whose proximity to
                        the fleet, the nature of the expedition and the pure lack of actual
                        plunder had provided just a short time before. Thus credit is due
                        and not a dismissal of the operation as some misguided outing of a
                        half hearted naval commander.

                        Again,just trying to add some balance to the rampant Anglophilia
                        that often arises and (noticably I hope) provide an
                        amicable "stiring of the pot" :)

                        Y most H and OS

                        Colin Murphy
                        USS CON 1812 MG