Fw: SEN. CARDIN, TEAM MD TO CELEBRATE NEW STAR-SPANGLED TRAIL AT FT. MCHENRY CEREMONY

  • Myron Peterson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2008
      ----- Forwarded Message ----

      From: Bill Pencek <BPencek@...>
      Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2008 12:16:52 PM
      Subject: SEN. CARDIN, TEAM MD TO CELEBRATE NEW STAR-SPANGLED TRAIL AT FT. MCHENRY CEREMONY

      *** MEDIA ADVISORY***

      CONTACT: Susan Sullam, 410-962-4436
      or 410-960-2440 (cell)
      June 5, 2008

      TEAM MARYLAND, NATIONAL PARK SERVICE TO CELEBRATE NEW
      STAR-SPANGLED BANNER TRAIL AT FT. MCHENRY CEREMONY

      BALTIMORE � U.S. Senator Benjamin L. Cardin (D-MD)
      will join U.S. Congressmen John Sarbanes (MD-3rd), Steny
      Hoyer (MD-5th), Dutch Ruppersberger (MD-2nd), Baltimore
      County Executive James T. Smith and officials from the National Park
      Service to celebrate the creation of The Star-Spangled Banner National
      Historic Trail. The bill creating the Trail passed Congress and was
      signed into law on May 8 by President Bush.

      The National Historic Trail system commemorates major routes
      of historic travel and events that have shaped American history. The creation
      of the Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail comes in time for
      the bicentennial celebration of the War of 1812 in 2012.

      The Trail will begin with the June 1814 battle between the
      British Navy and the American Chesapeake Flotilla in St. Leonard�s Creek in
      Calvert County, follows the British landing at Benedict on the Patuxent River,
      the Battle of Bladensburg, and then moves on to the British march into
      Washington, D.C., which was sacked and burned. From Washington, it follows the
      British campaign to the Battle of North Point and on to Baltimore, ending at
      Fort McHenry, site of the defeat of the British and where Francis Scott Key
      composed the Star-Spangled Banner, our National Anthem.

      * WHAT: Celebration of new Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail. Ceremony will be held on the ramparts of Ft. McHenry and will feature a flag raising ceremony and the Fort McHenry Guard.

      * WHO: Senator Cardin, Congressmen Sarbanes, Hoyer, and Ruppersberger, Baltimore County Executive James T. Smith, Fort McHenry Superintendent Gay E. Vietzke, and William Pencek, Director of Cultural and Heritage Tourism, MD Office of Tourism.

      * WHEN: Monday, June 9 at 10 a.m.

      * LOCATION: Fort McHenry National Monument & Historic Shrine

      end of East Fort
      Ave.

      --##--

      Susan
      Sullam
      Office
      of U.S. Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin
      Communications
      Director
      410-962-4436
      (Baltimore)
      202-224-4524
      (D.C.)
      410-960-2440
      (Cell)
      susan_sullam@...

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2008
        What someone changed my national anthem and didn't tell me!?

        Ahhh you mean the US National Anthem...;-)

        Anyway in all honesty, I think it is great!! However, I do hear a rather
        large sucking sounds as ALL of the bicentennial $$ is going to go to McHenry
        and not NY where all of the really hard fighting was for 2 years before the
        "Star Spangled Victory"

        Kevin
        89th