Re: 1812 Hakeswell's back

  • Vince Wilding
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008

      From: Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...>

      Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 17:16:01
      To:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: 1812 Hakeswell's back

      List:
      i could not resist. I was browsing through the IMDB website looking at
      information on the latest Sharpe film - "Sharpe's Peril", and lo and
      behold, a character called Corporal Barabbas Hakeswell makes an
      appearance.
      Now, he is played by an Indian actor, Amit Behl, so I suspect he is an
      illegitimate offspring of the notorious sergeant during his time in
      India.
      Like father like son, I wonder?
      Now back to more serious stuff.....
      Yrs etc.
      Ray H
      41st

      ------------------------------------

      War of 1812 Living History:
      A wide-ranging information exchange
      for all participants and supporters

      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      American Forces Unit Listing
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
    • Vince Wilding
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
        Apologies, L&G!

        You've officially been "butt e'mailed"!

        From: "Vince Wilding" <vince@...>

        Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:05:45
        To:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: 1812 Hakeswell's back

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
          Well, the basic issue here is that this epic is an amalgam of the novels set
          in India that were supposed to take place before the Peninsular Campaign
          (ie: before Hakeswill's execution). The screenwriters are just scrambling
          to convert any scrap of plot into another movie, sort of like every Bond
          film made after 1975.

          On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Vince Wilding <vince@...>
          wrote:

> [...]

          John J. Ogden
          Hanley School of Law
          Duquesne University
          Class of 2011

          Madison, June 20, 1785

        • Dale Kidd
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2008
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:
            The screenwriters are just scrambling
            > to convert any scrap of plot into another movie, sort of like
            every Bond
            > film made after 1975.

            On that note, I just read a magazine article stating that another Bond
            novel has been written by an acclaimed UK author, with the blessing of
            the Fleming estate. Unlike Ian Gardner's efforts in the 80's and 90's,
            this one makes no attempt to "update" Bond to modern times, but is set
            in 1967. The plot apparently revolves around a drug czar.

            I look forward to checking it out.

            ~Dale
          • John Ogden
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2008
              I also heard something about this on NPR last week (I was a bit distracted
              at the time, having other issues on my mind). I also look forward to this
              approach. Fleming's Bond was much less fantastic or high-tech than the
              movie version, based largely on Fleming's own experiences as a spy during
              the Second World War.

              --
              John J. Ogden
              Hanley School of Law

              Madison, June 20, 1785

            • Dennis McMahon,Esq.
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2008
                I am so grateful for this site. I may not have the opportunity to contribute often but it
                is chock full of useful information and commentary. While I am working on some
                film projects of my own, I was wondering if any War of 1812 sagas were in the wind.
                Best to all.

                Dale Kidd <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:
                The screenwriters are just scrambling
                > to convert any scrap of plot into another movie, sort of like
                every Bond
                > film made after 1975.

                On that note, I just read a magazine article stating that another Bond
                novel has been written by an acclaimed UK author, with the blessing of
                the Fleming estate. Unlike Ian Gardner's efforts in the 80's and 90's,
                this one makes no attempt to "update" Bond to modern times, but is set
                in 1967. The plot apparently revolves around a drug czar.

                I look forward to checking it out.

                ~Dale

                Dennis McMahon, Esq. 72 Murray Street Burlington, Vermont 05401 (802)657-3261 (802) 310-5556