Re: Fife Tune -- "The Peacock"

  • Jim Krause
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2008
      ---D. W. Stallone wrote:

      > Who would you ask if this were your question?

      Sue Cifaldi. Go to http://www.fifedrum.org and join the fifedrum.org
      listserv

      JimK
      fifer
    • D. W. Stallone
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
        (sigh) I'm not surprised.

        Is the tune familiar to ANYONE out there no matter what it's called? Is
        it sorta, kinda close to anything else anyone's heard no matter how
        tenuous the connection.

        Thanks,
        ++Don Stallone

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>
        wrote:

        > Beck is quite right. The name of the tune is called (now) "Good Night
        and
        > Joy be With Ye" or "God be with Ye". But it has been known as "The
        Peacock"
        > "Parting Glass" and a few other names. The Scot's try to steal it in
        1700,
        > but it is Irish as one of its original titles was "Sweet Cootehill
        Town"

        > The problem however, is the music you posted is not the same tune.
        >

        > Kevin
        >
        > 89th
        >
        > (I don't drum or fife, I am just their groupie, driver,
        > dishwasher.bitch.yeah that's the word for it!)
        >

        > _____
        >
        > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On
        Behalf