Fife Tune -- "The Peacock"

  • D. W. Stallone
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2008
      Esteemed List,

      I heard this tune -- or else something very much like it -- at a jam
      session of fifer and ancient drummers some years back. I asked a fifer
      what it was called and she said it was called "The Peacock."

      "Is it old?" says I.

      "I'm not sure." she says.

      "Does it go back at least as far as the American revolution?"

      "Oh yeah. Definitely." she says.

      Can anyone please help me track down it's source and is the tune even
      remotely correct? I've posted a file of the music in the files section
      under:
      Files ==> ThePeacock.jpg
      Your humble and obedient servant,
      ++Don Stallone

    • Luthien Tinuviel
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2008
        Hi!

        It's not the same "Peacock" that's in volume 2 of Aird (i.e. A selection of Scotch, English, Irish, and Foreign airs adapted to the fife, violin, or German-flute / James Aird.  Glasgow : the author, 1782-1800).  I've never heard your tune before but it's very beautiful.  Please let me know if you find anything else about it as I would be interested! :)

        Beck
        Fifer, 89th Regt.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2008
          I certainly will. Who would you ask if this were your question?

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Luthien Tinuviel <rrbeckner@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > It's not the same "Peacock" that's in volume 2 of Aird (i.e. A
          selection of Scotch, English, Irish, and Foreign airs adapted to the
          fife, violin, or German-flute / James Aird.  Glasgow : the author,
          1782-1800).  I've never heard your tune before but it's very
          beautiful.  Please let me know if you find anything else about it
          as I would be interested! :)

          > Beck
          > Fifer, 89th Regt.

        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2008
            Beck is quite right. The name of the tune is called (now) "Good Night and
            Joy be With Ye" or "God be with Ye". But it has been known as "The Peacock"
            "Parting Glass" and a few other names. The Scot's try to steal it in 1700,
            but it is Irish as one of its original titles was "Sweet Cootehill Town"

            The problem however, is the music you posted is not the same tune.

            Kevin

            89th

            (I don't drum or fife, I am just their groupie, driver,
            dishwasher.bitch.yeah that's the word for it!)

            _____

            From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
            Of D. W. Stallone

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,

          • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2008
              "Good Night and Joy be with You All" was also known as Armstrong's Farewell, sung to commemorate the hanging of one of the Armstrong border banditti in the last half of the 16th century.? I am not so sure about it being Irish in origin.

              Ron

              From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
              Of D. W. Stallone

              wrote:

              > Hi!
              >
              > It's not the same "Peacock" that's in volume 2 of Aird (i.e. A
              selection of Scotch, English, Irish, and Foreign airs adapted to the
              fife, violin, or German-flute / James Aird.  Glasgow : the author,
              1782-1800).  I've never heard your tune before but it's very
              beautiful.  Please let me know if you find anything else about it
              as I would be interested! :)

              > Beck
              > Fifer, 89th Regt.

            • Jim Krause
              Message 6 of 7 , May 31, 2008
                ---D. W. Stallone wrote:

                > Who would you ask if this were your question?

                Sue Cifaldi. Go to http://www.fifedrum.org and join the fifedrum.org
                listserv

                JimK
                fifer
              • D. W. Stallone
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
                  (sigh) I'm not surprised.

                  Is the tune familiar to ANYONE out there no matter what it's called? Is
                  it sorta, kinda close to anything else anyone's heard no matter how
                  tenuous the connection.

                  Thanks,
                  ++Don Stallone

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Beck is quite right. The name of the tune is called (now) "Good Night
                  and
                  > Joy be With Ye" or "God be with Ye". But it has been known as "The
                  Peacock"
                  > "Parting Glass" and a few other names. The Scot's try to steal it in
                  1700,
                  > but it is Irish as one of its original titles was "Sweet Cootehill
                  Town"

                  > The problem however, is the music you posted is not the same tune.
                  >

                  > Kevin
                  >
                  > 89th
                  >
                  > (I don't drum or fife, I am just their groupie, driver,
                  > dishwasher.bitch.yeah that's the word for it!)
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On
                  Behalf