Re: Exploding Musket

  • Kevin Garrett
    Message 1 of 11 , May 20 5:04 PM
      After reading the analysis report and the other statements,
      I can only conclude after 27 years of live and blank firing that ,
      in the absence of a metallurgical flaw, the only way a barrel would
      explode as illustrated would be if the barrel was fouled to the
      point that enough pressure would build up to explode the tube. Come
      on folks, this is not a matter of where or how it was manufactured...
      the user is pretty much guaranteed to be part of the problem here. If
      you can "ping" your musket with a ram rod , there is enough clear
      bore to allow the pressure from 100 grains of powder to exit the
      barrel without rupturing the tube.

      Proper education and CLEANING the musket after every firing,
      including taking the lock off and cleaning inside the lock cavity
      will prevent accidents of this sort. I have met several younger ( and
      not so young) reenactors who are "too tired to clean their musket",
      and those of us with an Armed Forces background know that you clean
      your weapon before and after firing, before storing it and after
      taking it out of storage. Unit safety officers are the front line for
      preventing the preventable!

      My 2 cents worth,

      Kevin
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Len Heidebrecht"
      <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:

      > Hello List,
      >
      > As some may have heard, a musket at one of the Rev War events this
      > summer suffered a catastrophic breech failure while using only
      blank
      > rounds.
      >
      > The lab analysis is in an all should have a look at it:

      http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/special/HPWhiteReportWithPerson
      al