Re: sword reference

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2008
      I believe that book is at DB Weldon Library at the University of Western
      Ontario. It is a very good book and should be available for an
      inter-library loan.

      Mark Dickerson

      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

        > Trust him with a book, but keep him away from sharp objects.
        >
        > Michael Whittaker

        Jeez, you get caught running with scissors one time and they never let
        you forget. : )
        Bruce
      • Kevin Garrett
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@...>
          wrote:

          > I am looking for information on a sword. I know it is a 1885/90
          > British Cavalry Trooper's sword. What I am looking for is a book or a
          > web site that will have the proof/makers marks. Any help will be
          > appreciated. Thanks very much.
          > Best regards,
          > Bruce Whittaker

          Bruce,
          I believe I have one of these in my collection! It is a singularly
          homely piece with a heavy curved blade and a leather grip with a plain
          guard and a steel scabbard with the two-ring cavalry mountings. I will
          check the proof marks and let you know what I find.

          Kevin Garrett
          QM
          Royal Scots Grens
        • Kevin Garrett
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2008
            Bruce,

            Wikipedia lists the ISBN for Wilkinson-Latham's book as 0-09-081201-8

            Mine has a scabbard marked 1 D G and a great deal of makers-proof and
            issue marks on the blade, guard and back of the grip.

            Kevin Garrett

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Len Heidebrecht"