Re: sword reference

  • Len Heidebrecht
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2008
      Bruce,

      I have an 85/90 pattern as well, marked for 1st Dragoon Guards and
      20th Hussars. Try John Wilkinson-Latham's book, British Military
      Swords (1966, no ISBN and likely very out of print) which shows a
      number of Wilkinson related proof marks and has the specification of
      the Cavalry Sword 1885 and 1890 patterns as approved for the
      Secretary of State.

      Cheers,

      Len

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...>
      wrote:

      > Trust him with a book, but keep him away from sharp objects.
      >
      > Michael Whittaker
      >

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I am looking for information on a sword. I know it is a 1885/90
      > > British Cavalry Trooper's sword. What I am looking for is a book
      or a
      > > web site that will have the proof/makers marks. Any help will be
      > > appreciated. Thanks very much.
      > > Best regards,
      > > Bruce Whittaker

    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2008
        I believe that book is at DB Weldon Library at the University of Western
        Ontario. It is a very good book and should be available for an
        inter-library loan.

        Mark Dickerson

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,

        "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I am looking for information on a sword. I know it is a 1885/90
        > > British Cavalry Trooper's sword. What I am looking for is a book
        or a
        > > web site that will have the proof/makers marks. Any help will be
        > > appreciated. Thanks very much.
        > > Best regards,
        > > Bruce Whittaker

      • J.Bruce Whittaker
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

          > Trust him with a book, but keep him away from sharp objects.
          >
          > Michael Whittaker

          Jeez, you get caught running with scissors one time and they never let
          you forget. : )
          Bruce
        • Kevin Garrett
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2008
            wrote:

            > I am looking for information on a sword. I know it is a 1885/90
            > British Cavalry Trooper's sword. What I am looking for is a book or a
            > web site that will have the proof/makers marks. Any help will be
            > appreciated. Thanks very much.
            > Best regards,
            > Bruce Whittaker

            Bruce,
            I believe I have one of these in my collection! It is a singularly
            homely piece with a heavy curved blade and a leather grip with a plain
            guard and a steel scabbard with the two-ring cavalry mountings. I will
            check the proof marks and let you know what I find.

            Kevin Garrett
            QM
            Royal Scots Grens
          • Kevin Garrett
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2008
              Bruce,

              Wikipedia lists the ISBN for Wilkinson-Latham's book as 0-09-081201-8

              Mine has a scabbard marked 1 D G and a great deal of makers-proof and
              issue marks on the blade, guard and back of the grip.

              Kevin Garrett

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Len Heidebrecht"