RE: 1812 Longwoods + Congratulations to the UTMHS

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2008
      I too will chime in with the voices of thanks to the UTMRS. A job well
      done. Thank you to the women of the UTMRS for feeding us Saturday night.
      Did you notice that the clouds parted and the sun came out when they said
      supper was ready?

      Personally to Brad, thanks for being the Sgt Maj and stepping in when you
      were already so busy.

      The morning skirmishes were mucky and fouled, but nothing gave me more
      pleasure than to try and capture Andrew and to give the order to shoot Greg
      on Sunday! (you did say I only had to return 51% of him!!)
      Thanks to the 19th US and the 2nd US Arty for playing with us. My thanks to
      the 1st Grens, 1st Lights, 89th Grens, 10th Royal Vets, 1st Lincoln Militia
      and Glengary Light Inf for giving me a small but mighty force to decimate!

      My thanks to the RM Corporal (I am sorry I forgot your name) for looking
      after the boys company and for letting me use them to fetch and carry, and
      much thanks to Sue Spencer for providing a tray of goodies that we not only
      got to look at, but got to eat! (dance monkey...dance).

      Have fun at Meigs to all that are going and I look forward to Stoney Creek.

      YMH&OS

      Kevin Windsor
      Grenadier Company
      HM 89th Reg't
    • Gordon Deans
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2008
        Kevin,

        Our Royal Marine corporal, Bill Kovacs, HMS Charwell Landing Party,
        did a great job in bringing the "boys company" to the field behind the
        British Artillery while maintaining the proper safety distances. He
        provided the boys with drilling and a thorough explanation of all
        aspects of the battle and finished off with his entire squad being
        killed by the Americans. How is that for a community service
        experience?

        Gord Deans,
        Charwells, Royal Navy [1812-15].

        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2008
          Bill! That's it!! Thanks Gord.

          KW/89

          _____

          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2008
            Hello All,
            What a fabulous weekend, though we're sorry about the weather. On
            behalf on the UTMRS and the Longwoods Committee, I'd like to say
            thanks to everyone that stuck it out. We suffered, but I think
            Sunday made it all worth while. A few other quick thank yous as
            well, if you'll indulge me:

            Sue Spencer - I can't thank you enough for all the work you did
            organizing the merchants and sutlers. That took a huge load off my
            plate.

            Craig, Peter and Kevin - Thanks for running in the battalion and
            helping to fill roles. The battle on Sunday was great for the crowd
            and we really appreciated you trying to make it as close to the
            Battle of Longwoods as possible under the circumstances.

            Beck, Reg and Nicolas - the lament was a great touch. Thanks.

            The 41st - I thought you guys looked fabulous in the drill competion
            under your new commander. Job well done and let's get more groups
            next year!

            All the Americans - I know it was a huge hassle for you guys to get
            here this year and we really appreciate. There's no event with out
            you so thank you so much. I'm working to resolve the problem and
            we'll try to stay on top of it for next year.

            Education Day People - thanks to everyone that was there and helped
            out with a station or even just taking the load off. The addition of
            sutlers, merchants and natives this year was great.

            Of course, the Longwoods Committee and the Royal Scots who did all
            the hard work deserve the most thanks. You guys make me look good
            and that's no easy task. Well done.

            If I missed anyone, I'm sorry, but of course I still appreciate you.

            Thanks,

            Chris
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2008
              Chris, it was actually Bruce Bainbridge and not Reg, but the sentiment is
              appreciated! I will forward it on to him.

              KW

              From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
              Of Chris McKay

              Beck, Reg and Nicolas - the lament was a great touch. Thanks.
            • Penni
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2008
                I came as a spectator this year. First time I'd been out in a very long
                while. My 8 year old son is smitten with everything war related (1812
                to current times). When he saw pics of me in my re-enactor days the
                questions started flooding in. He is now dragging me back into the
                hobby - though I am not kicking and screaming.
                Longwoods was an amazing way to start back. Close enough to home I
                could come in as a civilian for one day (NOT the rainy one!). The
                battle was awesome and held Thomas' attention like nothing I'd seen. He
                even had to come and tell me at one point what the body count was and
                who was "winning"!
                I was around when Longwoods started - my how it has grown! Way to go
                folks!! Keep up the good work and I hope to see lots more familiar
                faces at Stoney Creek (cause if we don't go - my ass is grass and
                Thomas is a mowin'!)
                Penni Stoddart
                London