RE: 1812 Longwoods + Congratulations to the UTMHS (Royal Scots Lights)

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2008
      Second the motion! Thanks to the Scots and everyone else who worked on
      the event for a job very well done. Despite a very soggy Saturday (my
      roof and some of my clothing are still wet!), and a very interesting
      hour of tent-wrangling between 3:00 and 4:00 am Sunday as the cold front
      finally came through, it was a grand shakeout for all of the gear and
      merchandise. It was wonderful to see everyone after what seemed like an
      extremely long winter - big thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hi!

      Chiming in with Tom - what a great way to start off what looks like a
      super season in the making!

      Can't wait to do it all again (after some sleep . . .)
      -- Sioux

    • Paul Kelly
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2008
        To Brad Stott, all the members of the UTMHS and their volunteers, thank
        you very much for a super start to the 2008 season!
        Weather? What weather? When one comes home with dry wool and canvas,
        it has to have been a great weekend!

        The new battle scenario on the hill by the turn in the road must have
        played out like a first rate movie for the spectators across the pond!

        The hospitatlity we receive at The Battle of Longwoods is always the
        best!

        Thanks again

        Paul Kelly
        Secretary
        Military Re-Enactment Society of Canada
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2008
          I too will chime in with the voices of thanks to the UTMRS. A job well
          done. Thank you to the women of the UTMRS for feeding us Saturday night.
          Did you notice that the clouds parted and the sun came out when they said
          supper was ready?

          Personally to Brad, thanks for being the Sgt Maj and stepping in when you
          were already so busy.

          The morning skirmishes were mucky and fouled, but nothing gave me more
          pleasure than to try and capture Andrew and to give the order to shoot Greg
          on Sunday! (you did say I only had to return 51% of him!!)
          Thanks to the 19th US and the 2nd US Arty for playing with us. My thanks to
          the 1st Grens, 1st Lights, 89th Grens, 10th Royal Vets, 1st Lincoln Militia
          and Glengary Light Inf for giving me a small but mighty force to decimate!

          My thanks to the RM Corporal (I am sorry I forgot your name) for looking
          after the boys company and for letting me use them to fetch and carry, and
          much thanks to Sue Spencer for providing a tray of goodies that we not only
          got to look at, but got to eat! (dance monkey...dance).

          Have fun at Meigs to all that are going and I look forward to Stoney Creek.

          YMH&OS

          Kevin Windsor
          Grenadier Company
          HM 89th Reg't
        • Gordon Deans
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2008
            Kevin,

            Our Royal Marine corporal, Bill Kovacs, HMS Charwell Landing Party,
            did a great job in bringing the "boys company" to the field behind the
            British Artillery while maintaining the proper safety distances. He
            provided the boys with drilling and a thorough explanation of all
            aspects of the battle and finished off with his entire squad being
            killed by the Americans. How is that for a community service
            experience?

            Gord Deans,
            Charwells, Royal Navy [1812-15].

            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2008
              Bill! That's it!! Thanks Gord.

              KW/89

              _____

              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2008
                Hello All,
                What a fabulous weekend, though we're sorry about the weather. On
                behalf on the UTMRS and the Longwoods Committee, I'd like to say
                thanks to everyone that stuck it out. We suffered, but I think
                Sunday made it all worth while. A few other quick thank yous as
                well, if you'll indulge me:

                Sue Spencer - I can't thank you enough for all the work you did
                organizing the merchants and sutlers. That took a huge load off my
                plate.

                Craig, Peter and Kevin - Thanks for running in the battalion and
                helping to fill roles. The battle on Sunday was great for the crowd
                and we really appreciated you trying to make it as close to the
                Battle of Longwoods as possible under the circumstances.

                Beck, Reg and Nicolas - the lament was a great touch. Thanks.

                The 41st - I thought you guys looked fabulous in the drill competion
                under your new commander. Job well done and let's get more groups
                next year!

                All the Americans - I know it was a huge hassle for you guys to get
                here this year and we really appreciate. There's no event with out
                you so thank you so much. I'm working to resolve the problem and
                we'll try to stay on top of it for next year.

                Education Day People - thanks to everyone that was there and helped
                out with a station or even just taking the load off. The addition of
                sutlers, merchants and natives this year was great.

                Of course, the Longwoods Committee and the Royal Scots who did all
                the hard work deserve the most thanks. You guys make me look good
                and that's no easy task. Well done.

                If I missed anyone, I'm sorry, but of course I still appreciate you.

                Thanks,

                Chris
              • Kevin Windsor
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2008
                  Chris, it was actually Bruce Bainbridge and not Reg, but the sentiment is
                  appreciated! I will forward it on to him.

                  KW

                  From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                  Of Chris McKay

                  Beck, Reg and Nicolas - the lament was a great touch. Thanks.
                • Penni
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5, 2008
                    I came as a spectator this year. First time I'd been out in a very long
                    while. My 8 year old son is smitten with everything war related (1812
                    to current times). When he saw pics of me in my re-enactor days the
                    questions started flooding in. He is now dragging me back into the
                    hobby - though I am not kicking and screaming.
                    Longwoods was an amazing way to start back. Close enough to home I
                    could come in as a civilian for one day (NOT the rainy one!). The
                    battle was awesome and held Thomas' attention like nothing I'd seen. He
                    even had to come and tell me at one point what the body count was and
                    who was "winning"!
                    I was around when Longwoods started - my how it has grown! Way to go
                    folks!! Keep up the good work and I hope to see lots more familiar
                    faces at Stoney Creek (cause if we don't go - my ass is grass and
                    Thomas is a mowin'!)
                    Penni Stoddart
                    London