Re: The new Millenium

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 1999
      Millennium thoughts;

      Christ who?

      I personally feel that this thing should be done mathematically
      (1/1/2001=new millennium) . It's the only thing approaching accurate in an
      inaccurate system.

      Scientists are now adhering to a system of "BP" (before present) when dating
      artefacts and such .
      To people of other cultures it is a little offensive to have things dated
      after a religious figure that the majority of the world could care less
      about.
      Me?
      I'm staying home and having a nice quiet evening tomorrow (leave the lunacy
      to the loons) and next year I might throw a huge humdinger for my friends
      who can "do the math"!
      Craig
      (cynics are seldom fooled)
    • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 1999
        In a message dated 12/30/1999 1:56:03 PM Central Standard Time,
        sgtwarnr@... writes:

        << Scientists are now adhering to a system of "BP" (before present) when
        dating
        artefacts and such .
        To people of other cultures it is a little offensive to have things dated
        after a religious figure that the majority of the world could care less
        about. >>

        Hey Craig I think that Christians are a fairly significant minority if we are
        counting all Christian faiths! And as Christ is reckoned a prophet by Moslems
        and had an'impact' shall we say, on Judaism I think it a bit inaccurate to
        say that the majority 'couldn't care less' about him. :-)

        Moslems, Jews, Bhudists do not couch everything they say in such a way so as
        not to offend every other person on the face of the earth and nor should
        they. I will continue to claim the same right and continue to use Before
        Christ and Anno Domini. I even wished people Happy Christmas this year (falls
        back in horror).

        Just an old curmudgeon I suppose, but its period!

      • NINETY3RD@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 1999
          In a message dated 30/12/1999 10:19:08 AM, awoodley@... writes:

          << As there is no particular reason to hold firmly to 2001 as the 'true'
          millenium for maths purists.So I hope those people will enjoy their
          celebration of the Millenium - I will say that this is a millenium
          celebration for me - after all we are celebrating the new millenium 3 years
          late - I just say FINALLY! >>

          And then there those older and wiser folks like the Jewish people and the
          Chinese whose year is some where over 5000....
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 1999
            In a message dated 12/31/1999 2:31:01 PM Central Standard Time,
            NINETY3RD@... writes:

            << And then there those older and wiser folks like the Jewish people and the
            Chinese whose year is some where over 5000....

            Older? Certainly

            Wiser? All a matter of perspective

            After all the Aztecs were great as long as the population didn't mind having
            their hearts ripped out at regular intervals to keep ole Mr. Sun rising!

            Truth very much depends on your point of view (Obi Wan Kenobi)
          • NINETY3RD@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 1999
              In a message dated 31/12/1999 1:35:36 PM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

              << fter all the Aztecs were great as long as the population didn't mind
              having
              their hearts ripped out at regular intervals to keep ole Mr. Sun rising! >>

              Quite!

              But they did have "zero" (right? or was that them Mayans....)
            • Craig Williams
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 31, 1999
                >"I think that Christians are a fairly significant minority if we are
                >counting all Christian faiths!"

                Actually I was thinking of them "all" and you ate correct we are a minority.

                "And as Christ is reckoned a prophet by Moslems"

                Yes but according to Muslims we are in our 16th century.

                "Judaism"

                It's 5 thousand and someting in Jerusalem tonight.

                ">Moslems, Jews, Bhudists do not couch everything they say in such a way so
                as
                >not to offend every other person on the face of the earth"

                Whoa Tim! you're getting into dangerous waters here.

                I too wish everyone a merry Christmas but thats because I agree with the
                sentiment not neccessarily the context.

                "Just an old curmudgeon I suppose" I know it,,,as it takes one to know one.>
                >Cheers

                Craig>
                >>The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
                square miles...