Hampton OOB

  • Josh
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2008
      Hello,
      I have been doing a bit of searching, and cannot come up with
      much in the way of what units participated in the battle at Hampton VA
      in June of 1813. Does anyone happen to have, or know where to find an
      order of battle for this action? Specifically, I am looking for any
      information that proves or disproves that any companies of the 68th VA
      Militia were involved. As has been discussed in the past, this unit
      loses its colors most likely in this battle. From muster rolls that I
      have seen though, it looks as though the bulk of the unit is not
      officially in service until the year after. Has anyone seen any
      information that can confirm that any of this unit was indeed active,
      and serving around Hampton during this engagement? Thanks for the help.

      Josh Bucchioni
    • Rob and Stephanie Friar
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2008
        Josh,

        Here is what "A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812" by
        Stuart Lee Butler has to say about the 68th (surprisingly little was done
        with them it seems):

        "The militia from these two counties were called out in June 1812 to aid
        Major Crutchfield's forces retreating from Hampton. They were assigned to
        Williamsburg and Yorktown. Some units were also called out between
        January-June 1814 and September-October 1814, for the most part serving at
        Yorktown. Colonel Bassett took command in 1814."

        Kinda indicates the militia of the 68th regiment (comprised of the militia
        companies from the counties of York and James City) were not at the battle,
        but were quickly called out to assist the retreating militia forces in the
        battle either during or just after the battle.

        According to "Terror on the Chesapeake", the only troop in Hampton at the
        time were under the command of Major Stapleton Crutchfield from the counties
        of Fauquier, Albermarle, and Orange (about 349 infantry and riflemen) and
        artillery under Captain B.W. Pryor comprised of men from the counties of
        Elizabeth City (modern cities of Hampton and Newport News), Gloucester,
        Halifax, and Matthews, and also included a company of riflemen from Orange
        county.

        Crutchfield had about 436 men in all, against over 2400 British / French
        "Canadian Chasseurs" .

        I will keep digging, but it appears if they did loose their colors at
        Hampton, it may have been while assisting in the retreat. But then again, so
        far nothing indicates that the British pursued the militia once they started
        towards Yorktown, instead turning east into the town of Hampton itself.

        Interesting..

        This is also a good time to remind all about the upcoming Battle of Hampton
        event June 14th at Endview Plantation in Newport news, Va. Please let me
        know if your unit wishes to participate, and get those registrations in
        soon. It can be accessed at Endview's web site at www.endview.org
        <http://www.endview.org/>

        Rob Friar

        Fort Norfolk Garrison