Saying Hello

  • Kathryn.Schwenger41@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2008
      Hello everyone,

      Well, my last 1812 event was Longwoods back in 2004, and I have missed my
      1812 re-enactments a lot. I stumbled across this group today while
      researching something else, and seeing all of the old familiar names brought
      a big wave of nostalgia to me so I thought I would join, say hello, and
      catch up on all of the 1812 news. :-)..

      As some of you know, I now live in Georgia just south of Atlanta and for
      some reason there aren't not too many opportunities to relive 1812 here
      (VBG) although there are some events a few hour's drive to the coast.
      Instead, I have become somewhat involved in the local Civil War living
      history activities, worked for 2 years as a costumed docent at an 1839
      Antebellum Plantation, and now work for a "Meet and Greet" company doing
      guided step-on tours for tour companies, while wearing Civil War clothing.
      I live right in the middle of "Gone With the Wind" country so that is what
      my tours basically encompass. As my husband is not a re-enactor there
      hasn't been as much opportunity to get involved with the re-enactment
      community except for the odd day trips to local events. Besides - I have
      discovered I am not too keen on camping out where fire ants (the bane of the
      South!), poisonous spiders and poisonous snakes are present (VBG)! My new
      step-daughter and her family, however, turned out to be big Civil War
      cavalry re-enactors in Texas so we have been to a few events with them.

      Anyway, I just thought I would say hello, tell you all that I miss you and
      the 1812 re-enactments very much, and am looking forward to catching up on
      what is happening.

      Kathryn Schwenger

      PS I noted that Mark mentioned my arranging to have Ken Hall and his cavalry
      attend Heritage Days a number of years ago when I was the Re-enactor
      Co-ordinator. We offered them a travel incentive to help with gas (we also
      offered a stipend for those bringing artillery), and as we were their only
      Canadian venue that year, covered the cost of the Coggins tests as well.
      More importantly, we 'eased' their border crossing as they needed to cross
      when a veterinarian was present and arrangements had to be made in advance.
      We contacted the border well in advance of their arrival, gave them the
      precise information of their expected arrival, the names and identification
      of the horses and which vehicles they were travelling in, the identification
      and license numbers of trailers and vehicles hauling the trailers, the list
      of firearms and other items of potential interest for customs, the names and
      identification of the individuals travelling with the horses, along with
      information about our event so that when Ken and his entourage arrived it
      was just a quick check over for them and they were through. He said it was
      the easiest border crossing they had ever had. The rest of it was just
      working with Ken to make sure that the horse lines and cavalry encampment
      were located in a way to provide safety for the horses, re-enactors and
      spectators.
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2008
        Not Dunkirk.
        Don't know about Dieppe

        Can you post an image for us to look at?

        Craig Williams

        > What Canadian Regiments from Onterio fought in WWII? Could it have
        > come
        > from Dunkirk?
        >
        > Warm regards and curiosity
        >
        > James
        >

        > .

      • James Yaworsky
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "A. James Hardwick"
          <soldierwolf2003@...> wrote:

          [snip]
          > What Canadian Regiments from Onterio fought in WWII? Could it have come
          > from Dunkirk?
          >
          > Warm regards and curiosity
          >
          > James

          James, almost all of them did. At Dieppe, in Sicily and then most of
          the Italian campaign, on one of the 5 beaches at D-Day (Juno), in the
          battles in Normandy, across northern France, Holland, and the
          Rhineland. Plus, Hong Kong in the Pacific. It's a big topic. I
          would suggest utilising Google.

          The first Canadian division to arrive in Europe was luckily just too
          late to participate in the battle for France in 1940 that culminated
          (for the British) at Dunkirk. For a time after Dunkirk, while the
          soldiers evacuated from same were being reorganized, I've read that
          the Canadian division was the only fully-equipped intact divisional
          formation defending the southern coast of the UK.

          Jim Yaworsky
        • James Hardwick
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2008
            I will try to get one posted ASAP

            Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote: Not Dunkirk.
            Don't know about Dieppe

            Can you post an image for us to look at?

            Craig Williams

            > What Canadian Regiments from Onterio fought in WWII? Could it have
            > come
            > from Dunkirk?
            >
            > Warm regards and curiosity
            >
            > James
            >

            > .

          • Kevin Garrett
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2008
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...>
              wrote:

              > >James ,

              Does it say Onterio or ONTARIO ? The latter being the province in
              Canada, the former I'm not sure of but possibly a makers mark.

              Kevin
              1st Grens

              > > What Canadian Regiments from Onterio fought in WWII? > >
              > >
              > > .

            • david webb
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
                Hi,
                This is likely a bugle with an Ontario Regiment cap badge soldered on to it. It probably belonged to the regiment, but there is a chance that the badge was added to a bugle at some point to enhance its value as a collectible.
                The Ontario Regiment is named after Ontario County, and their history is found on www.ontrmuseum.ca The Ontario Regiment was an armoured unit during World War Two, and they served in Sicily and then Italy until the fall of Rome. Their proper name was The 11th Canadian Armoured Regiment. Afterwards they were transferred to northern Europe and participated in the liberation of Holland.
                They were not at Dieppe, and were "D Day Dodgers" in sunny Italy. They have a great museum, with a running Sherman tank.

                --Dave Webb