Bugle

  • A. James Hardwick
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5 9:51 AM
      For all of you Canadians out there. Many years ago I pick up a bugle in
      an antique shop in Northern Germany. This area was used as POW work
      camps. This bugle has a symbol on it with the words Onterio on it. It
      also has some colorful cording with it.

      What Canadian Regiments from Onterio fought in WWII? Could it have come
      from Dunkirk?

      Warm regards and curiosity

      James
    • Kathryn.Schwenger41@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5 10:25 AM
        Hello everyone,

        Well, my last 1812 event was Longwoods back in 2004, and I have missed my
        1812 re-enactments a lot. I stumbled across this group today while
        researching something else, and seeing all of the old familiar names brought
        a big wave of nostalgia to me so I thought I would join, say hello, and
        catch up on all of the 1812 news. :-)..

        As some of you know, I now live in Georgia just south of Atlanta and for
        some reason there aren't not too many opportunities to relive 1812 here
        (VBG) although there are some events a few hour's drive to the coast.
        Instead, I have become somewhat involved in the local Civil War living
        history activities, worked for 2 years as a costumed docent at an 1839
        Antebellum Plantation, and now work for a "Meet and Greet" company doing
        guided step-on tours for tour companies, while wearing Civil War clothing.
        I live right in the middle of "Gone With the Wind" country so that is what
        my tours basically encompass. As my husband is not a re-enactor there
        hasn't been as much opportunity to get involved with the re-enactment
        community except for the odd day trips to local events. Besides - I have
        discovered I am not too keen on camping out where fire ants (the bane of the
        South!), poisonous spiders and poisonous snakes are present (VBG)! My new
        step-daughter and her family, however, turned out to be big Civil War
        cavalry re-enactors in Texas so we have been to a few events with them.

        Anyway, I just thought I would say hello, tell you all that I miss you and
        the 1812 re-enactments very much, and am looking forward to catching up on
        what is happening.

        Kathryn Schwenger

        PS I noted that Mark mentioned my arranging to have Ken Hall and his cavalry
        attend Heritage Days a number of years ago when I was the Re-enactor
        Co-ordinator. We offered them a travel incentive to help with gas (we also
        offered a stipend for those bringing artillery), and as we were their only
        Canadian venue that year, covered the cost of the Coggins tests as well.
        More importantly, we 'eased' their border crossing as they needed to cross
        when a veterinarian was present and arrangements had to be made in advance.
        We contacted the border well in advance of their arrival, gave them the
        precise information of their expected arrival, the names and identification
        of the horses and which vehicles they were travelling in, the identification
        and license numbers of trailers and vehicles hauling the trailers, the list
        of firearms and other items of potential interest for customs, the names and
        identification of the individuals travelling with the horses, along with
        information about our event so that when Ken and his entourage arrived it
        was just a quick check over for them and they were through. He said it was
        the easiest border crossing they had ever had. The rest of it was just
        working with Ken to make sure that the horse lines and cavalry encampment
        were located in a way to provide safety for the horses, re-enactors and
        spectators.
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5 11:13 AM
          Not Dunkirk.
          Don't know about Dieppe

          Can you post an image for us to look at?

          Craig Williams

          > What Canadian Regiments from Onterio fought in WWII? Could it have
          > come
          > from Dunkirk?
          >
          > Warm regards and curiosity
          >
          > James
          >

          > .

        • James Yaworsky
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5 12:28 PM
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "A. James Hardwick"
            <soldierwolf2003@...> wrote:

            [snip]
            > What Canadian Regiments from Onterio fought in WWII? Could it have come
            > from Dunkirk?
            >
            > Warm regards and curiosity
            >
            > James

            James, almost all of them did. At Dieppe, in Sicily and then most of
            the Italian campaign, on one of the 5 beaches at D-Day (Juno), in the
            battles in Normandy, across northern France, Holland, and the
            Rhineland. Plus, Hong Kong in the Pacific. It's a big topic. I
            would suggest utilising Google.

            The first Canadian division to arrive in Europe was luckily just too
            late to participate in the battle for France in 1940 that culminated
            (for the British) at Dunkirk. For a time after Dunkirk, while the
            soldiers evacuated from same were being reorganized, I've read that
            the Canadian division was the only fully-equipped intact divisional
            formation defending the southern coast of the UK.

            Jim Yaworsky
          • James Hardwick
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5 1:20 PM
              I will try to get one posted ASAP

              Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote: Not Dunkirk.
              Don't know about Dieppe

              Can you post an image for us to look at?

              Craig Williams

              > What Canadian Regiments from Onterio fought in WWII? Could it have
              > come
              > from Dunkirk?
              >
              > Warm regards and curiosity
              >
              > James
              >

              > .

            • Kevin Garrett
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5 3:35 PM
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...>
                wrote:

                > >James ,

                Does it say Onterio or ONTARIO ? The latter being the province in
                Canada, the former I'm not sure of but possibly a makers mark.

                Kevin
                1st Grens

                > > What Canadian Regiments from Onterio fought in WWII? > >
                > >
                > > .

              • david webb
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 6 7:25 AM
                  Hi,
                  This is likely a bugle with an Ontario Regiment cap badge soldered on to it. It probably belonged to the regiment, but there is a chance that the badge was added to a bugle at some point to enhance its value as a collectible.
                  The Ontario Regiment is named after Ontario County, and their history is found on www.ontrmuseum.ca The Ontario Regiment was an armoured unit during World War Two, and they served in Sicily and then Italy until the fall of Rome. Their proper name was The 11th Canadian Armoured Regiment. Afterwards they were transferred to northern Europe and participated in the liberation of Holland.
                  They were not at Dieppe, and were "D Day Dodgers" in sunny Italy. They have a great museum, with a running Sherman tank.

                  --Dave Webb