Reminder: Drill Day/Weekend Opportunity

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2008
      Good morning list!

      To date it appears that we have representatives of 5 units
      participating in the upcoming drill days at Fort George in Niagara-On-
      The-Lake.

      The primary date is Saturday April 12th.

      There is an opportunity to sleep in the barracks on both or either
      the Friday and Saturday night.

      Interested units can also use the site on Sunday for drills and
      demonstrations.

      The Fort will be open to the public through the weekend so whatever
      we may be able to muster will certainly add some colour and life to
      the Fort and area.

      The Officers' Quarters will also be open for drinks and snacks both
      nights (which will also serve as a bit of a fund raiser for the
      41st's 2009 trip to Wales).

      There has also been some interest on the part of those wishing
      to "play" in the kitchen and do some hearth cooking.

      This is an opportunity for individual units to do their unit drills
      at a common site. If there is an interest, we can combine and do
      some battalion drill or even a small scale tactical.

      Dave Webb of Fort George will be working with us to ensure safety
      through the demonstrations.

      For any others with an interest in attending(groups or individuals)
      regardless of country or discipline, please contact us!

      Dave Westhouse, 1st Royal Scots Grenadiers: westhouse(at)sympatico.ca

      Tom Fournier, 41st Regiment: tom4141fournier(at)yahoo.ca

      (Simply substitute a @ for the (at)in reconstructing the email
      addresses).

      Thank you for your kind consideration

      Tom Fournier, Captain
      41st Regiment of Foot
    • Dave Westhouse
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2008
        Thanks Tom,

        That weekend looks to be shaping up nicely and as Tom said all units
        are welcome to come. U.S., militia, artillery, what have you.

        Jim Hill has also volunteered to be on hand to ensure we are looked
        after. Thank you to Dave, Jim and the fort staff. It's not everyone
        who gets to borrow a fort.

        The kitchen will be opened up for use to 'play'. There is a lot of
        equipment there but you may bring your own tools(pots, pans, etc.)
        yourself to do or make anything that suits your fancy. A day to
        experiment with others in a historically accurate kitchen.

        Help suppport the 41st with their fundraising and raise a glass in
        the evenings.

        This day/weekend was put together for all to do their own drill in a
        fantastic location. The opportunity then exists to drill together
        which is seldom the case through the off season.

        Dave Westhouse, Corporal
        1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.