Re: [War Of 1812] Waterloo 1990

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
      In a message dated 4/2/2008 1:49:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
      suthren@... writes:

      Can we presume a major, all-up, knock-your-socks-Can we presume a

      ------------------------------

      It would be nice to think so but in 1990 the event was organized by a very
      small group of people with a clear vision of what they wanted spearheaded by
      the Napoleonic Association that just wanted to do an even on the field once if
      they never got to do it again.

      There are now so many committees sub committees and government agencies
      involved that it might be tricky. But at least there is still an anual event in
      Belgium so there might well be something. What there isn't is a local
      politician with a sinecure as deputy mayor of Waterloo who is a Napoleon fanatic and
      sees the value of working with foreigners to whom he will give a great deal of
      control.

      (Maurice Gerard died in late 2000)

    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
        C'mon its Belgium!

        There have been events there every year since 1995 and this one will
        be my 12th in a row, its good every year, we now camp in Hougoumont
        and defend the Great North Gate on the Saturday and fight through
        Plancenoit village to Le Caillou on the Sunday. We are averaging about
        1500 to 2000 fighting troops each year. There are less of the Marchees
        bands now but I guess they will return in 2015. The one thing that
        hasn't changed? The French still don't know how they lost.

        Cheers

        P**