Re: [War Of 1812] Waterloo 1990

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
      Can we presume a major, all-up, knock-your-socks-off effort in 2015?

      Vic Suthren
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
        In a message dated 4/2/2008 1:49:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
        suthren@... writes:

        Can we presume a major, all-up, knock-your-socks-Can we presume a

        ------------------------------

        It would be nice to think so but in 1990 the event was organized by a very
        small group of people with a clear vision of what they wanted spearheaded by
        the Napoleonic Association that just wanted to do an even on the field once if
        they never got to do it again.

        There are now so many committees sub committees and government agencies
        involved that it might be tricky. But at least there is still an anual event in
        Belgium so there might well be something. What there isn't is a local
        politician with a sinecure as deputy mayor of Waterloo who is a Napoleon fanatic and
        sees the value of working with foreigners to whom he will give a great deal of
        control.

        (Maurice Gerard died in late 2000)

      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
          C'mon its Belgium!

          There have been events there every year since 1995 and this one will
          be my 12th in a row, its good every year, we now camp in Hougoumont
          and defend the Great North Gate on the Saturday and fight through
          Plancenoit village to Le Caillou on the Sunday. We are averaging about
          1500 to 2000 fighting troops each year. There are less of the Marchees
          bands now but I guess they will return in 2015. The one thing that
          hasn't changed? The French still don't know how they lost.

          Cheers

          P**