Re: Greetings to Ya'll

  • nappingcrow
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
      One of the things which I've found most intriguing about the whole
      war, is the breadth of opinion represented in the Northern states -
      New England not only traded with (e.g. smuggled goods to) British
      authorities in Canada, but at the same time appears to have supplied
      a large amount of the regular troops to the US Army. If I remember
      right, something like six regular infantry regiments were raised just
      in Massachusetts and the District of Maine, leaving aside regular
      units raised in Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut.

      People generalize that New England was against the war, (and the
      Hartford Convention near the end of the war does support the 'anti-
      war' interpretation) but the strong recruitment indicates to me a
      more nuanced view of New England opinion in period.

      Regards,
      Brian Smith
      (Full disclosure, I'm from the Boston area)

      > I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed on
      Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were
      hired
      in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston from
      Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...

      > Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812 was
      prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do with "Madison's
      War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

    • Colin
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
        I think that the the war was very unpopular amongst the upper middle
        and Upper classes (Shipowners, merchants, Bankers, skilled artisans
        etc..), as it most assuredly cut into their pocketbooks. And it
        was they that had the loudest voice ie..media and influence upon
        politicians. It was probably unpopular in the working class as well
        because they knew that if it cut into the employers money it could
        cost them their jobs...and it did.. and I think this is why so many
        from New England joined the Armed forces. Jobs. (plus a dense
        population and large families on small farms <--- I believe this is
        what cause an ancestor of mine to join the Marine Corps in 1813)

        But also, like Brian mentions, there had to be some base of support
        to supply those troops

        Just my 2 cents at 1 in the moring..
        YHOS
        Colin Murphy
        USS CON 1812 MG
        USMC HC

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@...>
        wrote:

        > One of the things which I've found most intriguing about the whole
        > war, is the breadth of opinion represented in the Northern states -

        > New England not only traded with (e.g. smuggled goods to) British
        > authorities in Canada, but at the same time appears to have
        supplied
        > a large amount of the regular troops to the US Army. If I
        remember
        > right, something like six regular infantry regiments were raised
        just
        > in Massachusetts and the District of Maine, leaving aside regular
        > units raised in Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut.
        >
        > People generalize that New England was against the war, (and the
        > Hartford Convention near the end of the war does support the 'anti-
        > war' interpretation) but the strong recruitment indicates to me a
        > more nuanced view of New England opinion in period.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Brian Smith
        > (Full disclosure, I'm from the Boston area)
        >

        > > I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed
        on
        > Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were
        > hired
        > in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston
        from
        > Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...
        > >

        > > Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812
        was
        > prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do
        with "Madison's
        > War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

      • Len Heidebrecht
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
          Hello All,

          Jon Latimer's '1812 War with America'covers the attitudes and dealings
          of the New Englaners very nicely.

          Cheers,

          Len